corvusheart

Renters background check for Permenant Resident issues

31 posts in this topic

For the first time since hubby moved here on Fiancé visa we are moving. Unfortunately everytime we apply the background check companies always have a tough time with his info and can't validate him and his records. We always supply his social security card, state ID, and green card. He doesn't have any criminal history in US or UK.

Any other LPRs face these issues?

Edited by corvusheart

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There;s been a few threads about this issue. Usually though it's because the LPR has no SSN. It could possibly be because it's a "newer" SSN it just shows no information and that's causing some confusion with the rentals.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

There;s been a few threads about this issue. Usually though it's because the LPR has no SSN. It could possibly be because it's a "newer" SSN it just shows no information and that's causing some confusion with the rentals.

I do know any SSN issued after June 2011 is generated by a different algorithm.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Does he have any established lines of credit? That's usually what the rental application checks, resulting in a hard query on your credit report. If you have any credit cards try adding him as a fully authorized user.... they should ask for his ssn when adding him.  Within a month he will have the benefit of your credit history. 

1 minute ago, HabeshaWife2016 said:

Does he have any established lines of credit? That's usually what the rental application checks, resulting in a hard query on your credit report. If you have any credit cards try adding him as a fully authorized user.... they should ask for his ssn when adding him.  Within a month he will have the benefit of your credit history. 

He does not have any credit history. So if I add him as a user he will inherit my credit score?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline
7 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

He does not have any credit history. So if I add him as a user he will inherit my credit score?

Yup. Only on the account you add him to. You can decide if you want to give him the actual card or not. The responsibility for the debit is still the primary account holder-you. What we did is add hubby to my longest established accounts. After a month he got great offers to open up lines of his own. He recent opened acct with 50k limit on his own. You just have to wait the month after you add him. Credit cards report to bureaus a couple of days after your closing date. Only then will he have a history. Sign up to credit karma or similar free credit monitoring service. They aren't 100% accurate but will give a ball park score. This will be helpful for any major purchase in the future.. house ..car etc.

Good luck! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
29 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

For the first time since hubby moved here on Fiancé visa we are moving. Unfortunately everytime we apply the background check companies always have a tough time with his info and can't validate him and his records. We always supply his social security card, state ID, and green card. He doesn't have any criminal history in US or UK.

Any other LPRs face these issues?

I had a similar problem, lady at the SS office told me when she was changing my last name that my EAD and USCIS name didn't match aEAD was correct and had my now married name, but my USCIS file has my maiden name.

It can be some sort of mismatch with records. I had to go through legal presence check for my REAL ID because of this too. Everything I try first goes for manual check and then returns from SAVE case check for them to process (Waited 4 weeks for SSA, another 6 weeks when it was the REAL ID). It also causes a little bit extra time on credit checks, I am always asked for ID to verify my SSN information.

I couldn't find an easy way to resolve this so I am waiting for my GC to see what is going to happen with that one.

I called USCIS, and they said it shows my married last name (correct one), they said to correct this if it becomes an issue i need to get an InfoPass which at that moment i didn't care enough. so maybe do an infopass to see what is going on? (The problem can be totally different though)

21 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

yup, authorized users get credit history which is a good way to build credit for him so he can get a credit card himself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Naes said:

I had a similar problem, lady at the SS office told me when she was changing my last name that my EAD and USCIS name didn't match aEAD was correct and had my now married name, but my USCIS file has my maiden name.

Once your permanent residence is approved, you should be found under your married name. Wait for the greencard. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, corvusheart said:

Adil did not inherit my credit score

his is based solely on his income and savings and all our bills (credit card included) are paid on time

but his score is higher than mine as the mortgage is in my name affecting my LTV 

but he only had the SS # 2 months before getting his job and when they ran a background check ,   there was nothing avaiable

SS # to new to report on 

Add the spouse to credit cards, or obtain a secured credit card and have them start working on their own credit score.  Heck, even as a new immigrant, he added me to his secured account as an authorized user. Now we both have excellent scores.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

Adil did not inherit my credit score

his is based solely on his income and savings and all our bills (credit card included) are paid on time

but his score is higher than mine as the mortgage is in my name affecting my LTV 

but he only had the SS # 2 months before getting his job and when they ran a background check ,   there was nothing avaiable

SS # to new to report on 

Did you add him as an authorized user to your account?

Timeline
23 minutes ago, HabeshaWife2016 said:

Did you add him as an authorized user to your account?

yes,  i added him and he has his own card

the account is paid off but i keep it open for emergencies

like i said,  he had a credit score

but the criminal background check is not instanteous in the US if a person has not lived here

i am sure there is one for him now as he is here over 3 years

Edited by adil-rafa

Timeline
2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

yes,  i added him and he has his own card

the account is paid off but i keep it open for emergencies

like i said,  he had a credit score

but the criminal background check is not instanteous in the US if a person has not lived here

i am sure there is one for him now as he is here over 3 years

I'm sorry,. I'm curious if when he was added as an authorized user, those accounts were added as part of his credit history? Not necessarily the score. But account history, payment age of account, utilization etc

The only time I had heard of the credit history not transferring is if the card issuer only allows a spouse, or if a SSN wasn't provided.

It's awesome he had a credit score already, I'm sure it made everything much smoother.

I'm not sure about the other parts of the background check, but my experience is the credit check is almost always included in a rental application.

It's a process simple someone could do something about immediately to help establish their spouse in the US.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HabeshaWife2016 said:

I'm sorry,. I'm curious if when he was added as an authorized user, those accounts were added as part of his credit history? Not necessarily the score. But account history, payment age of account, utilization etc

The only time I had heard of the credit history not transferring is if the card issuer only allows a spouse, or if a SSN wasn't provided.

It's awesome he had a credit score already, I'm sure it made everything much smoother.

I'm not sure about the other parts of the background check, but my experience is the credit check is almost always included in a rental application.

It's a process simple someone could do something about immediately to help establish their spouse in the US.

ok,  added his name to credit card when he came

and sorry ,  don't know about renting as i own my house and added him with a quick claim deed before he entered the US

i am sure a apartment needs a credit check but why criminal when you can google a name and see most of it free 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I concur that the answer is adding him as an authorizer card holder on your account.  You may need to have him open a secured credit card in his name to begin the credit history. I know that is what my husband needed to do. Now his score is in the 800s.

But no, we've never had any issues. House are so cheap in great Minnesota, why rent?  Seems silly.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.