dun3lm

NVC Social Media

27 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, NearEthereal said:

My question is what specifically is the government asking for?
Do they care about what I'm saying specifically, or just fraud, illegalities, etc.

What even constitutes social media?

Do they need every forum I've ever signed up for for every fringe video game I've ever played?

Is this site social media?

I would limit it to the sites in the drop down list.

17 minutes ago, NearEthereal said:

Like..I won't lie, I'm worried enough about all of these people getting banned from social media platforms, and even payment platforms for subscribing to the 'wrong' opinions , watching the wrong videos etc.

For example, is someone who watches a little too much Alex Jones going to get banned from America? lol.

Nobody can say for sure what they will do with the information in the future, but presumably it's solely used for national security purposes to aid with background checks. The same type of information - and more - is asked for from others via a DS-5535. They aren't checking political views.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

18 minutes ago, NearEthereal said:

Do they care about what I'm saying specifically, or just fraud, illegalities, etc.

Do they need every forum I've ever signed up for for every fringe video game I've ever played?

Like..I won't lie, I'm worried enough about all of these people getting banned from social media platforms, and even payment platforms for subscribing to the 'wrong' opinions , watching the wrong videos etc.

For example, is someone who watches a little too much Alex Jones going to get banned from America? lol.

This is sort of like a TSA agent demanding you to unlock your phone so they can browse through your media history. In this case you are providing them access to do that. It's hard to determine how they would view sites that are private though or content of emails or messages without passwords, but as they are the government, perhaps they have ways.

Do they care about what you're saying? It's a possibility. No doubt they'd be looking for messages glorifying terrorist activity, or something involving fraud. Of course I scratch my head why any person looking to commit fraud or terrorism would openly chat about this... then again we see so many shooters announcing their intentions, but no one ever pays attention.

Social media likely constitutes anything from the drop down list they give you. Twitter, facebook, and the like.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, Roel said:

I wonder if someone states that they don't have any social media, but immigration finds it anyway - is that a ground for misrep? :P

I would think so since they want to add this to the ds 260 and ds 160

a lie is a lie

7 hours ago, JC&BS said:

Yes, I'm concerned about the time it'll take. Since they aren't asking for passwords I guess only certain people would be probed for them. 🤷🏾‍♀️

and they don't need passwords to see most social media like facebook only ecrupted sites are protected from anyone seeing what you wirte and the added year to do these security checks by NVC will credit quite a back log for NVC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, NearEthereal said:

Specifically looking at emails,   dating sites,   and all social media to see if the immigrant is looking for "green card only" or talking to other men/women  for specifically "getting out of their country"  

also looking at youtube and other sites to see if immigrant is following any terriorists sites

this is to prevent marriage fraud and to protect the USA

12 hours ago, JFH said:

I’d say anyone who says they don’t use social media is asking for trouble. Given how many in this process meet online, I’d say social media usage is higher than average among intending immigrants compared to the population as a whole. 

You got me worried now - is it going to be suspicious that we don't use social media (except Linkedin for professional use)? 🤔

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 hours ago, B and o said:

i am filing for my mum and she does not know how to use the Internet not to talk of social media!!!!!

Well she'll put "none" for her social media. easy.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 6/1/2019 at 6:44 AM, JC&BS said:

Some? Not all?

Looks like everyone who has not completed their DS-260 before it was launched.

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

Married: 03September2010

Beneficiary Country: Colombia

CR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 21March2011

USCIS Expedited Approved: 21June2011

NOA2: 21June2011

NVC Expedite Approved: 14September2011

Interview: 21October2011

POE: 28October2011

I-90 (Name Change)

NOA1: 03January2012

Biometrics: 07February2012

Approved: 07February2012

ROC (Approved)

NOA1: 28October2013

Interview: 22November2013

Approved: 11March2014

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

DS-160: 12June2017

Interview: 12July2017

Filed I-407: 12July2017

IR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 09October2018

USCIS Expedite Approved: 05April2019

NOA2: 09April2019

NVC Expedite Approved: 23May2019

Interview: 10June2019

POE: 29June2019

Does anyone know if the specific URL is needed for sites like Facebook, Linkedin and Youtube where user names aren't unique? Your identifier for those sites might be 'Sarah Jones' or 'Sarah J' but how many Sarah Joneses are there on Facebook? Or do they not really care? And does anyone know if it matters if our FB or IG accounts are set to private? I only do that to prevent unwanted messages and to keep any personal photos between family and friends, not that I have anything suspicious to hide. 

And will it count against us if we watch channels like John Oliver or Russell Howard on Youtube who talk about controversial political happenings, or if we down-voted a Reddit article about something the president did? I'm hoping this newly required information will only be used to confirm our answers of the various security question section, and not that any of us are going to be denied because we watch a political comedian on Youtube, politely disagreed with something DT said, or even that a perfectly innocent photo or tweet gets misinterpreted with no chance to explain.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:16 AM, futurecoloradogrl said:

Does anyone know if the specific URL is needed for sites like Facebook, Linkedin and Youtube where user names aren't unique? Your identifier for those sites might be 'Sarah Jones' or 'Sarah J' but how many Sarah Joneses are there on Facebook? Or do they not really care? And does anyone know if it matters if our FB or IG accounts are set to private? I only do that to prevent unwanted messages and to keep any personal photos between family and friends, not that I have anything suspicious to hide. 

And will it count against us if we watch channels like John Oliver or Russell Howard on Youtube who talk about controversial political happenings, or if we down-voted a Reddit article about something the president did? I'm hoping this newly required information will only be used to confirm our answers of the various security question section, and not that any of us are going to be denied because we watch a political comedian on Youtube, politely disagreed with something DT said, or even that a perfectly innocent photo or tweet gets misinterpreted with no chance to explain.

I'm also wondering what you put if a social media account has been deleted or the username forgotten.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed as requested by the poster~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.