dun3lm

NVC Social Media

27 posts in this topic

I saw on Twitter that NVC is now requesting social media addresses. Has anyone seen this on their forms? Which ones? I just submitted DS-260 and I'm concerned I'll have to resubmit given the new questions. 

61836113_825633701170321_9031324786122293248_n.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

in 2017 this ds5535  form came out

it is mostly for high fraud countries as an extra security check

unless you are originally from one of the countries listed as high fraud and now living in UK,   no problen

don't worry when worrying is not necessary

The ds5535 is given out and/or asked for during the interview or a few days after when the beneficary is suspect 

I also saw this upon filling out our DS-260 today. Turns out that it was only yesterday when NVC has updated the process. According to the Facebook group I am part of, we have to declare ALL single social media accounts that we have. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It was implemented yesterday for some of the applicants. Good luck.

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

Married: 03September2010

Beneficiary Country: Colombia

CR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 21March2011

USCIS Expedited Approved: 21June2011

NOA2: 21June2011

NVC Expedite Approved: 14September2011

Interview: 21October2011

POE: 28October2011

I-90 (Name Change)

NOA1: 03January2012

Biometrics: 07February2012

Approved: 07February2012

ROC (Approved)

NOA1: 28October2013

Interview: 22November2013

Approved: 11March2014

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

DS-160: 12June2017

Interview: 12July2017

Filed I-407: 12July2017

IR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 09October2018

USCIS Expedite Approved: 05April2019

NOA2: 09April2019

NVC Expedite Approved: 23May2019

Interview: 10June2019

POE: 29June2019

It is just more information to give them. And to be honest, it is nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Unlockable said:

It is just more information to give them. And to be honest, it is nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide.

Well I wonder how this is going to affect people's timelines. I'm assuming this isn't just data collection and they actually intend to do something with this information, like go through every applicant's social media. Also, my beneficiary and I keep our social media profiles locked and set to private so no one other than our friends can see what we post, I'm curious if that will trigger a USCIS friend request or if that will just frustrate the case. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ty/Ir said:

Well I wonder how this is going to affect people's timelines. I'm assuming this isn't just data collection and they actually intend to do something with this information, like go through every applicant's social media. Also, my beneficiary and I keep our social media profiles locked and set to private so no one other than our friends can see what we post, I'm curious if that will trigger a USCIS friend request or if that will just frustrate the case. 

Yes, I'm concerned about the time it'll take. Since they aren't asking for passwords I guess only certain people would be probed for them. 🤷🏾‍♀️

I wonder if someone states that they don't have any social media, but immigration finds it anyway - is that a ground for misrep? :P

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

3 hours ago, Ty/Ir said:

Depending on how digging they have to go through social media it may or may not take some time. I agree it simple just isn't data collection that is why I said it just is more information to give them. What they do with the information is up in the air. 

They are already looking deep into people's lives so that is why I say it is not much of a big deal. People already send in criminal /history/records, years of financial records, travel history, family history, and beneficiaries must also go through a physical. Social media to me is not going to push a case past extreme delays.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Depending on how digging they have to go through social media it may or may not take some time. I agree it simple just isn't data collection that is why I said it just is more information to give them. What they do with the information is up in the air. 

They are already looking deep into people's lives so that is why I say it is not much of a big deal. People already send in criminal /history/records, years of financial records, travel history, family history, and beneficiaries must also go through a physical. Social media to me is not going to push a case past extreme delays.

I think instagram has like 800M accounts, VK around 150M, FB around 2.2B, so just to guess probably something in the order of 99% of potential beneficiaries will have social media. With social media having been around for a while (my post history going back 10 years and my beneficiary's going back 9) that's some serious, time consuming digging to do. I'm not really an optimistic person by nature but in my view with this being applied to just about all of immigrant and non immigrant visas, with the overwhelming majority of applicants being subjected to it, this seems like a death sentence to a lot of petitions, mine included. Maybe this will push k1 and cr1 visas to the same 12 year wait time that sibling visas are. We'll see I guess.

3 hours ago, Roel said:

I wonder if someone states that they don't have any social media, but immigration finds it anyway - is that a ground for misrep? :P

I’d say anyone who says they don’t use social media is asking for trouble. Given how many in this process meet online, I’d say social media usage is higher than average among intending immigrants compared to the population as a whole. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

My question is what specifically is the government asking for?
Do they care about what I'm saying specifically, or just fraud, illegalities, etc.

What even constitutes social media?

Do they need every forum I've ever signed up for for every fringe video game I've ever played?

Is this site social media?

Like..I won't lie, I'm worried enough about all of these people getting banned from social media platforms, and even payment platforms for subscribing to the 'wrong' opinions , watching the wrong videos etc.

For example, is someone who watches a little too much Alex Jones going to get banned from America? lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.