bulls2030

Deceased Petitioner and Immigrating to the USA

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 hours ago, bulls2020 said:

Need some advice regarding our situation.

My father (a US Citizen) filed an I-130 for my married sister in February 2007. My father passed away in April 2010. 

Going through the notices we received, my sister received her I-130 approval from USCIS in August 2010. 

My sister recently received her notice from NVC. We mentioned to them in an email that the petitioner, my father, has passed away and they asked for his death certificate which we emailed recently. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Our mother (my deceased father's wife) is currently living with me in the US (she has a green card for over 10 years) and my brothers all immigrated to the US a while back and are all US Citizens. My sister's only child  also got married and immigrated to the United States a few years ago and is a greencard holder.

I was just searching regarding how the immigration process works for a deceased petitioner and to my surprise it seems that the application would be revoked. Is that true for our situation? My question is, is there any hope for my sister and her husband to immigrate to the US since my father passed away (and my brothers and mother have been in the US)? She has been waiting all these years and most of her family has immigrated to the US and she would like to move here as well to be with family.

I would appreciate if there is any advice if there is any way she can still immigrate to the US. We should not have an issue supporting them. 

Thank you

Your sister should ask to  the field office that approved the l130 for HUMANITARIAN REINSTATEMENT  and she must submit a new form  l864(copy of the sponsor’s documents),proof of the l130 approval ,a copy of the death certificate, a copy of her birth certificate as well and a letter explaining  why she deserves to have the humanitarian reinstatement granted .

Filed: Timeline
22 hours ago, bulls2020 said:

Need some advice regarding our situation.

My father (a US Citizen) filed an I-130 for my married sister in February 2007. My father passed away in April 2010. 

Going through the notices we received, my sister received her I-130 approval from USCIS in August 2010. 

My sister recently received her notice from NVC. We mentioned to them in an email that the petitioner, my father, has passed away and they asked for his death certificate which we emailed recently. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Our mother (my deceased father's wife) is currently living with me in the US (she has a green card for over 10 years) and my brothers all immigrated to the US a while back and are all US Citizens. My sister's only child  also got married and immigrated to the United States a few years ago and is a greencard holder.

I was just searching regarding how the immigration process works for a deceased petitioner and to my surprise it seems that the application would be revoked. Is that true for our situation? My question is, is there any hope for my sister and her husband to immigrate to the US since my father passed away (and my brothers and mother have been in the US)? She has been waiting all these years and most of her family has immigrated to the US and she would like to move here as well to be with family.

I would appreciate if there is any advice if there is any way she can still immigrate to the US. We should not have an issue supporting them. 

Thank you

Have your sister's child petition her mom when she becomes a US citizen.

1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Your sister should ask to  the field office that approved the l130 for HUMANITARIAN REINSTATEMENT  and she must submit a new form  l864(copy of the sponsor’s documents),proof of the l130 approval ,a copy of the death certificate, a copy of her birth certificate as well and a letter explaining  why she deserves to have the humanitarian reinstatement granted .

The petition doesn't qualify for humanitarian reinstatement because petitioner was deceased before it was approved. Discussed upthread already.

Hi,

I admittedly have not read the other responses to the thread. OP, maybe these 2 links can help answer your question:

1. https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/section-204l-relief-surviving-relatives

2. https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2872/0-0-0-3007.html

Sometimes the right way tends to take a bit longer but the right and legal way is always better :) 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

The petition doesn't qualify for humanitarian reinstatement because petitioner was deceased before it was approved. Discussed upthread already.

My bad. I just read again the post and I saw now that he filed in 2007 and I read that it was approved in 2007.

• 3 weeks later...

So is the main factor the fact that the petitioner passed away before the petition was approved (vs. after approval)?

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

It's the main factor in why they can't apply for humanitarian reinstatement, yes.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Update. Just got the following reply from NVC:

Dear Sir/Madam:

This petition is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. You will be notified with further instructions when the processing is complete.

Please forward your request concerning a substitute sponsorship or humanitarian reinstatement to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

USCIS advises that in order to pursue consideration for substitute sponsorship or humanitarian reinstatement of a visa petition, you must submit the following to USCIS:

1.    Written request for reinstatement from the principal applicant of the original petition or from a substitute sponsor if the principal applicant is a minor child; 

2.    Sufficient documentation to identify and substantiate the humanitarian reason for reinstatement.  (e.g. evidence of a long time residence and any equity in the United States, evidence of health related factors that would establish the need for the reinstatement of the petition, etc.);

3.    An Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) from the substitute sponsor, containing an original signature of the sponsor. The substitute sponsor must be an immediate family member or a legal guardian of the beneficiary, such as a:

-  spouse

-  parent

-  mother-in-law or father-in-law

-  sibling

-  child (if at least 18 years of age)

-  son-in-law or daughter-in-law

-  sister-in-law or brother-in-law

-  grandparent

-  grandchild

4.    Evidence to establish the substitute sponsor's immigration status or U.S. citizenship;

5.    The petitioner's death certificate (if the petitioner died outside of the United States, you must establish that it was not the petitioner's intent to abandon his/her lawful permanent resident status);

6.    Evidence of the relationship between the new sponsor and the beneficiary.

I am not sure what number 1 is asking and what to do for number 2? Any advice to try to see if there is any option available for my sister?

Update. Just got the following reply from NVC:

Dear Sir/Madam:

This petition is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. You will be notified with further instructions when the processing is complete.

Please forward your request concerning a substitute sponsorship or humanitarian reinstatement to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

USCIS advises that in order to pursue consideration for substitute sponsorship or humanitarian reinstatement of a visa petition, you must submit the following to USCIS:

1.    Written request for reinstatement from the principal applicant of the original petition or from a substitute sponsor if the principal applicant is a minor child; 

2.    Sufficient documentation to identify and substantiate the humanitarian reason for reinstatement.  (e.g. evidence of a long time residence and any equity in the United States, evidence of health related factors that would establish the need for the reinstatement of the petition, etc.);

3.    An Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) from the substitute sponsor, containing an original signature of the sponsor. The substitute sponsor must be an immediate family member or a legal guardian of the beneficiary, such as a:

-  spouse

-  parent

-  mother-in-law or father-in-law

-  sibling

-  child (if at least 18 years of age)

-  son-in-law or daughter-in-law

-  sister-in-law or brother-in-law

-  grandparent

-  grandchild

4.    Evidence to establish the substitute sponsor's immigration status or U.S. citizenship;

5.    The petitioner's death certificate (if the petitioner died outside of the United States, you must establish that it was not the petitioner's intent to abandon his/her lawful permanent resident status);

6.    Evidence of the relationship between the new sponsor and the beneficiary.

I am not sure what number 1 is asking and what to do for number 2? Any advice to try to see if there is any option available for my sister?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Basically she has to ask for it and provide good documentation to support why she should be allowed it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Your sister doesn't qualify for humanitarian reinstatement for the reasons I already went over. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, bulls2020 said:

She doesn't qualify for humanitarian reinstatement....you should reread this thread.  

Right now her only option seems to be for her LPR child to petition for her when the child becomes a US citizen.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

She doesn't qualify for humanitarian reinstatement....you should reread this thread.  

Right now her only option seems to be for her LPR child to petition for her when the child becomes a US citizen.

Yes i understand. But with the email from NVC there seems to be a slim chance of trying to mail uscis showing my sisters mom, daughter, and brothers all residing in the US. Thats why i thought to try and see.

Timeline

As others have posted, I apologize for your father's passing and that it affects your sister's petition. Your niece (your sister's daughter) can petition her mother (your sister) once she, your niece, becomes a citizen as long as she is 21 years old or older. The process will take about a year to a year and a half. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline
29 minutes ago, bulls2020 said:

Yes i understand. But with the email from NVC there seems to be a slim chance of trying to mail uscis showing my sisters mom, daughter, and brothers all residing in the US. Thats why i thought to try and see.

The email you received seems to read as a generic response to an inquiry you/family member made about humanitarian reinstatement/how that works.

NVC would not be the ones determining whether your sister was eligible or not, as stated in the email one must forward such request to USCIS directly.

Your niece is a LPR through marriage for a few years now, you said---is she planning on applying for citizenship?  That's a more streamlined way for your sister, imo, rather than trying for humanitarian reinstatement.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Hi, 

My husband’s family had a similar situation some years ago. His father, a US citizen started the process to bring his daughter (over 21 year old) to the US but sadly he passed before the process was finished. My husband was able to take over it, and while it was a bit of a hassle and took time, he was able to become the petitioner for his older sister and nieces without starting the process from the beginning. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.