EmilyTim

Postponing moving to US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

First post on VJ so please excuse any mistakes I make.

I was hoping for a bit of advice on postponing entry to the US. 

My fiancé and I submitted the I129F in February and have an NOA1 date of 12 Feb. 

I've recently been considering doing a teacher training course in the UK and would like to move to the US next July/August (2020) instead of later this year. 

I realise how stupid this sounds, and how this is something I should have thought about before beginning this process. 

If there any way of postponing our application? I am really excited about moving the the US so I don't want to mess everything up!

Thank you so much for any help in advance,

Emily

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
43 minutes ago, EmilyTim said:

Hello!

First post on VJ so please excuse any mistakes I make.

I was hoping for a bit of advice on postponing entry to the US. 

My fiancé and I submitted the I129F in February and have an NOA1 date of 12 Feb. 

I've recently been considering doing a teacher training course in the UK and would like to move to the US next July/August (2020) instead of later this year. 

I realise how stupid this sounds, and how this is something I should have thought about before beginning this process. 

If there any way of postponing our application? I am really excited about moving the the US so I don't want to mess everything up!

Thank you so much for any help in advance,

Emily

I’m pretty sure you would have to cancel and refile.  

Would it be possible for you to take an equivalent course in the US!? 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I *think* after receiving K1 visa you have six months to actually move otherwise visa expires. I think you'll be right at that July/Aug 2020 mark. And if you could intentionally pick a later interview date at the consulate that'll postpone it further. 

Will a one year teacher training course done in the UK actually be useful for a career in the US though?  If you want to teach school here, the required credentials will be different.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If I were you guys and that’s the time line you have then I would marry and do a CR-1 that way you get a GC when you get here and can work and travel right away. CR-1 is about a year so that would be perfect in your plan. Then you can get a DL and all that and won’t have to do AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, EmilyTim said:

You can drag out the London portion. After your case gets there, don't rush to apply for the visa (Form DS-160). If they don't hear from you for six months, they might write and ask if you are still planning to apply for a fiancé visa. (That comes from experiences reported in the UK forum on here.)  I have read an email posted from the embassy saying you have one year to act on your petition. If you don't interview within 4 months of your petition approval, London will require you bring a new letter of intent (to the interview) from the American fiancé that he is still free to marry and intends to marry you, etc. Your visa will be valid for travel for six months counting from your medical date, not interview date. So work that into your planning. 

BUT I think a year of teacher training in the UK won't land you more than working at a daycare which wouldn't require any training. It would just make you look more favorable perhaps than someone with no experience/higher education. Teacher accreditation is determined by the state where you live, but I think you will find most will require a full uni degree with specific courses required to get teacher certification. 

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Get to the US and start your teacher training here unless the course if for some unique Internationally recognized career boosting subject.

That or cold feet? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.