francesmama

B1 Visa denied

72 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Really?

Never heard of that before, pulled some strings? I know USCs are permitted to enter the embassy complex, but to co-appear at a B1 interview? 

His boss didn't pull some strings. My brother went thru the standard process of the B1 application. No hocus pocus. Lol. 

His boss went with him because he knows how hard it is for Filipinos to get a US visa. My brother was still interviewed just like any other applicant. No special treatment. His boss was there for support only. 

Edited by apple21
Edit

48 minutes ago, apple21 said:

His boss didn't pull some strings. My brother went thru the standard process of the B1 application. No hocus pocus. Lol. 

His boss went with him because he knows how hard it is for Filipinos to get a US visa. My brother was still interviewed just like any other applicant. No special treatment. His boss was there for support only. 

The disbelief was at the thought that a USC who is not actually a personal petitioner would be allowed to partake in an interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Never heard of this for the kind of training OP is talking about. We always used B visas for anything like this.

it is a visa type and it used for conferences in the US and training 

many don't use it but it is the one that will get the best approval if the company follows the guidelines

i am not surprised a denial of a B tourist visa when there actually is a proper way to apply for non-immigrant training as the USCIS site shows

This is the visa a friend of ours came on to teach a special crushed sea shell painting technique to a group of painters here as a contractor on vacation in Europe saw it done and did the work to bring him over for 12 weeks of classes 

36 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

This is the visa a friend of ours came on to teach a special crushed sea shell painting technique to a group of painters here as a contractor on vacation in Europe saw it done and did the work to bring him over for 12 weeks of classes 

Yeah that sounds very different ro the kind of in-house corporate training OP is talking about. I’m sure 3 months of specialized training  being paid for, as in your example, was not on the cards. No wonder that needs a special visa. Anyway your friend was teaching = training others, not undergoing training himself...

from the DoS website, approved uses for B1 visa include :

Training
Participating in a training program that is not designed primarily to provide employment. Will receive no payment or income from a U.S. based company/entity, other than an expense allowance or expense reimbursement related to traveler’s stay.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/BusinessVisa Purpose Listings March 2014 flier.pdf

you maybe forget that a B visa is not only a tourist visa, it is tourist and business, for (many) types of allowed business travel reasons, as per the link above.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Just want to share my experience with applying and getting denied a B1 visa, I applied for a B1 for a 3-month long training in the US. I got denied, consul told me to get an H3 (Trainee) visa. Which my company did for me and got approved for H3. 

1 hour ago, wasp8898 said:

Just want to share my experience with applying and getting denied a B1 visa, I applied for a B1 for a 3-month long training in the US. I got denied, consul told me to get an H3 (Trainee) visa. Which my company did for me and got approved for H3. 

Wonder if it’s length of training at play there  - 3 months is pretty long. FYI for context of why I say this, whenever I was traveling on business on a B I would usually get stamped for 3 months entry, vs the 6 months I would always get for leisure travel.

@francesmama, how long is your training course?

however it appears consul did not tell OP to get H3, and other people doing the same training got B1s so seems B should be appropriate. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

13 hours ago, francesmama said:

That the company will be paying for my entire stay there and that they guarantee that I will come back. 

No company can make such a guarantee.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I tried again applying and my interview was May 15. And wow, I got my visa approved and my passport will be delivered tomorrow. I will be able to attend the training in Indianapolis this June 3... Thing is the consul did not even ask for any documents.She just asked me questions like why is the training needed to be help in the US, how long have I been working in the IT industry, who was I living with here in the Philippines ( I finally got to say that I have a daughter) and I guessed it also helped that I was in Singapore for business travel last week. She asked if I traveled recently. 

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice.. 🙂

Just now, francesmama said:

Hi all! I tried again applying and my interview was May 15. And wow, I got my visa approved and my passport will be delivered tomorrow. I will be able to attend the training in Indianapolis this June 3... Thing is the consul did not even ask for any documents.She just asked me questions like why is the training needed to be help in the US, how long have I been working in the IT industry, who was I living with here in the Philippines ( I finally got to say that I have a daughter) and I guessed it also helped that I was in Singapore for business travel last week. She asked if I traveled recently. 

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice.. 🙂

I meant needed to be held not help. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lostcause said:

francesmamaI would like to know that for how many days did u plan to go for the States?

Another individual's itinerary has no bearing on your application. You or your company has to document why they need to send you for a 3-mo stint in the US. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, lostcause said:

francesmamaI would like to know that for how many days did u plan to go for the States?

I asked you a question on your other thread.....but you haven't answered it....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.