Crazy Cat

Processing Times (I-751) for MSC (National Benefits Center)

2,753 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ma08716 said:

Just hangup with uscis customer service, I asked for the last update on my i-751 and she told me that my case is outside of normal processing time, however I asked her if that’s accurate since the website shows about 33 months and she said yes it is out of the normal processing time, then she told me to wait another month and if I didn’t get any response I should call and file an inquiry. The thing is I have already filed 2 expedite request but they came back with denial 🤷🏻‍♂️ so idk what should I do? I already filed for my naturalization application last September 

If website is not showing case is outside normal processing nothing much can be done. When your case is outside the processing time contact your Senator or Congressman. My wife situation I made an inquiry with USCIS and at the same time reached out to my Senator. The response to my inquiry just gave me the same response as previously received that is wife has a combo interview for I-751 and N-400 and interview was to be scheduled when it is time. The response from the Senator however was much better; they respectively requested to be contacted in 30 days if an interview is not scheduled and for the first time in over 3 years the status date updated and within 2 weeks the interview was scheduled so I am sure Senator inquiry made a difference. Note the Senator will only inquire if the case is outside processing time. Good luck.

Edited by hasmax80

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

No update on I-751 case. But I got Scheduled for N400 Citizenship Interview. Hoping it is combo interview.

Timeline

I filed an I-751 for my stepdaughter in December 2021. Got an RFE last week for evidence of bona fide marriage of the parent (my wife) and petitioning stepparent (me). Not sure why they requested this since my wife's (stepdaughter's mom) I-751 was approved four months ago and we had rock solid evidence (child together, joint ownership of homes and cars, a bunch of shared investment accounts, all insurance shared, etc.).

I sent off the evidence 2 days later and the status just changed to say that the RFE was received. I'm really hoping we get an interview waiver despite her entering on a CR visa. I've seen it happen before and having to wait for an interview would suck since our field office is really slow!

Edited by RamonGomez

Timeline
43 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Did you file both your wife's and stepdaughter's petitions on same day or did you file your wife's first, and once got the NOA included that in your stepdaughter's packet?

They got their 2 year green cards more than 90 days apart so I had to file 2 separate I-751s. I did include my wife's NOA (at the time this was just the 18-month extension letter) in my stepdaughter's I-751, but that didn't seem to do much good. In the RFE reply, I put a copy of my wife's I-751 approval and a copy of her 10-year green card... we'll see what happens

1 hour ago, RamonGomez said:

They got their 2 year green cards more than 90 days apart so I had to file 2 separate I-751s. I did include my wife's NOA (at the time this was just the 18-month extension letter) in my stepdaughter's I-751, but that didn't seem to do much good. In the RFE reply, I put a copy of my wife's I-751 approval and a copy of her 10-year green card... we'll see what happens

Did you submit any other evidence of relationship between you and your spouse?

The thing is, each USCIS service center receives tens of thousands of cases every month. Sometimes they are overwhelmed. Add to that shortage of staff and their lack of motivation to open case A when processing case B. Always assume they don't have anything and you need to submit repetative stuff, especially for two different people with two different petitions, reviewed by two or more immigration officers.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Did you submit any other evidence of relationship between you and your spouse?

The thing is, each USCIS service center receives tens of thousands of cases every month. Sometimes they are overwhelmed. Add to that shortage of staff and their lack of motivation to open case A when processing case B. Always assume they don't have anything and you need to submit repetative stuff, especially for two different people with two different petitions, reviewed by two or more immigration officers.

I submitted a ton of info about my relationship with my stepdaughter but not with my spouse (stepdaughter's mom) - school records, medical records, photos of us going back many, many years, I am basically her guardian/authorized contact everywhere. But USCIS wanted to see evidence that the marriage that allowed her to immigrate to the US was entered in good faith. After doing some research on this, USCIS is correct in asking this, as weird as it is. I spoke to a lawyer who told me that legally, if her mom's conditions are removed, then all the kids' conditions are removed. So hopefully this should be open and shut after I sent in the additional evidence... 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Just want to update. I don’t know if this is rare or not. But I was ready for my case to be scheduled for an interview since we all know if our case is being referred to National Benefit Center, it is most likely we have to go through an interview. I waited for about 26 months after the case was changed to “interview is ready to be scheduled”. They didn’t schedule any interview for me. They order the green card straight away without any interview! So I guess maybe it is not necessary for us to go through an interview unless my case is rare! Just want to share my experience. I hope guys has a good one. I updated my timeline that you can refer!

Timeline
59 minutes ago, AnnaLuke said:

Just want to update. I don’t know if this is rare or not. But I was ready for my case to be scheduled for an interview since we all know if our case is being referred to National Benefit Center, it is most likely we have to go through an interview. I waited for about 26 months after the case was changed to “interview is ready to be scheduled”. They didn’t schedule any interview for me. They order the green card straight away without any interview! So I guess maybe it is not necessary for us to go through an interview unless my case is rare! Just want to share my experience. I hope guys has a good one. I updated my timeline that you can refer!

Awesome news. It looks like MSC/NBC is now approving cases with interview waivers even if there was no previous USCIS interview (eg CR visas, like yours). Congratulations! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, k123 said:

same here i-751 case status still shows 'ready to be scheduled for interview'. But, just got N400 interview scheduled.

How can we tell if it is going to be a combo interview?

I guess, we will come to know at Interview as sometime I-751 is not finalized at time of interview. 

I will take my spouse with me so in either case, I don't have to worry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
On 11/14/2022 at 11:34 AM, k123 said:

same here i-751 case status still shows 'ready to be scheduled for interview'. But, just got N400 interview scheduled.

How can we tell if it is going to be a combo interview?

Generally you can not tell whether or not you are getting a combo i751/n400 interview. 

A combo interview is the most likely outcome, that is what happened to us back in May.

But the i751 file may not be at the field office, if so they would need to wait until it does arrive delaying a decision on both cases, or the officer may approve the i751 on the spot without a ROC interview and then go on and approve the n400 on the spot, only the green card holder interviewed. 

Some variation of the 3 scenarios will happen, go with your spouse and be prepared to do the combo l751/n400 interview. I would request the officer to do a i751 interview while you are there, if the officer is not planning to do the ROC case while you're there. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline
5 hours ago, da95826 said:

Generally you can not tell whether or not you are getting a combo i751/n400 interview. 

A combo interview is the most likely outcome, that is what happened to us back in May.

But the i751 file may not be at the field office, if so they would need to wait until it does arrive delaying a decision on both cases, or the officer may approve the i751 on the spot without a ROC interview and then go on and approve the n400 on the spot, only the green card holder interviewed. 

Some variation of the 3 scenarios will happen, go with your spouse and be prepared to do the combo l751/n400 interview. I would request the officer to do a i751 interview while you are there, if the officer is not planning to do the ROC case while you're there. 

Agree, in this scenario (filed for I-751 and received interview notice for N400 only), everyone should go prepared (ie with spouse) for a combo interview.

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

• 2 weeks later...

USCIS is killing me!

i have been checking the progress on my case through my online account and of course no movement at all, my case has been ‘ready to be scheduled for an interview’ since March. 

The day before Thanksgiving, I received my biometrics appointment letter, it took 2 weeks to get to me and my appointment is scheduled for Monday at 8 am.

I will make it work, but it scares the heck out of me that there were no updates on my USCIS account, the letter not added to the Documents tab or anything. What if the letter wouldn’t have arrived? I wouldn’t have known about my appointment.. I don’t even want to think about it! 

Very happy that I am making (slow) progress of course, but having to rely on USPS is not a great situation to be in. I do have Informed Delivery, so I guess I need to watch that as a hawk as well moving forward.

*rant over*

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Nearly at 27 months since I initially applied for ROC. Never anticipated it taking this long, pretty ridiculous. 

Edited by HarryWL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.