cspence10

Fiancee wants to travel

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good evening all

As the title says, my fiancee wants to do some traveling before our visa is approved and she becomes a married woman. She wants to do some traveling alone. My question is, if she is in another country when we get NOA2, how much time would there be between NOA2 and the time when she makes her appointment for the interview and medical stuff (ball park guess please). My follow on question to that is, how long does she have to make the appointment once they notify her? Like if she doesnt make an appointment with the embassy within a certain amount of days will they throw away the request or put us at the back of the line? 

What do you guys recommend? I understand you will likely say that she should just wait because you never know, but traveling to her before she gets married is very important. 

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wait until after interview and have visa she has 6 months from the medical to enter the US. That's plenty of time to travel before coming to US.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

@cspence10,

i would not recommend she should wait  and do nothing before NOA2.

i agree if she need to enjoy life before gets married. 

but in what phase she would start the travelling before gets married &how long she want to travel?

after NOA2, you need to wait for the NVC process before the document is transferred to the beneficiary embassy.

NOA2 >> NVC usually takes 2W-4W,  then NVC to embassy usually also about 2 weeks, she have a lot of time to travel on this phase

then embassy will give you time for you to prepare all document required and medical check up, every embassy have their own rules about the time that they give for the process, so please see forum of the local embassy of your fiance.

she also have a choice to travelling after visa approved, the visa will be good for 6month after medical, so she can travel before enter the U.S

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
54 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

Good evening all

As the title says, my fiancee wants to do some traveling before our visa is approved and she becomes a married woman. She wants to do some traveling alone. My question is, if she is in another country when we get NOA2, how much time would there be between NOA2 and the time when she makes her appointment for the interview and medical stuff (ball park guess please). My follow on question to that is, how long does she have to make the appointment once they notify her? Like if she doesnt make an appointment with the embassy within a certain amount of days will they throw away the request or put us at the back of the line? 

What do you guys recommend? I understand you will likely say that she should just wait because you never know, but traveling to her before she gets married is very important. 

Thanks

A couple of months from noa2 to petition on post.  Up to one year to have the interview if the petition validity is extended

YMMV

Timeline
9 minutes ago, yuni_yuni said:

@cspence10,

i would not recommend she should wait  and do nothing before NOA2.

i agree if she need to enjoy life before gets married. 

but in what phase she would start the travelling before gets married &how long she want to travel?

after NOA2, you need to wait for the NVC process before the document is transferred to the beneficiary embassy.

NOA2 >> NVC usually takes 2W-4W,  then NVC to embassy usually also about 2 weeks, she have a lot of time to travel on this phase

then embassy will give you time for you to prepare all document required and medical check up, every embassy have their own rules about the time that they give for the process, so please see forum of the local embassy of your fiance.

she also have a choice to travelling after visa approved, the visa will be good for 6month after medical, so she can travel before enter the U.S

Wow thanks for the in depth answer. 

I am definitely not recommending she sits around and waits, especially since she wants to do it so much. I just wanted to get that across in the case that you thought i was just telling her to stay put.

she wants to travel through au pair, which is like a website where you can pretty much be a nanny or help around the house in other counties. She wants to go now but cant find a family. She found a family in Brazil that wanted her to go between august and september. We filed in March and I was thinking that would be right around the time things start happening, 5/6 months. I just dont want her to be out of the country when we get NOA2, and I was kind of unsure about how long between NOA2 and NVC. Also being from Mexico she has some restrictions on countries, and she also doesnt have a lot of money to buy tickets or pay for visas, and they take longer, so if she was to start traveling in like may/june and traveled for like 2-3 months that would put her like august september october time frame, which makes me nervous.

What do you think? Now that you have some more specifics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, cspence10 said:

I am definitely not recommending she sits around and waits, especially since she wants to do it so much. I just wanted to get that across in the case that you thought i was just telling her to stay put.

she wants to travel through au pair, which is like a website where you can pretty much be a nanny or help around the house in other counties. She wants to go now but cant find a family. She found a family in Brazil that wanted her to go between august and september. We filed in March and I was thinking that would be right around the time things start happening, 5/6 months. I just dont want her to be out of the country when we get NOA2, and I was kind of unsure about how long between NOA2 and NVC. Also being from Mexico she has some restrictions on countries, and she also doesnt have a lot of money to buy tickets or pay for visas, and they take longer, so if she was to start traveling in like may/june and traveled for like 2-3 months that would put her like august september october time frame, which makes me nervous.

You can guide the process after noa2 to have it fit almost any kind of travel schedule 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
53 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

so what you worry about?

as you mention that current processing time of K Petition is about 5 - 6 month, so you may get approval on  august or September then put another 1 month for NVC > Embassy

so she really  have a lot of time to travel until the case reach the embassy on october (March + 6M +1M). and usually embassy give you 4 month before schedule the interview to complete all required document (once again please see your regional US Embassy forum to make sure process after case transferred to embassy) but, you can request to extend it if needed.

The Ciudad Juarez consulate -where all interviews are held for México- is very saturated, so when the case shows as "Ready" on the CEAC site, your fiancee can schedule her interview, and it will be 4-5 months ahead. 

Being such the case, she has all those months to travel, before the interview. And she can fill the DS-160 and schedule from any point on earth that has internet connection. 

Just make sure the NOA2 does not expire within that timeframe and if it does, despite being extended automatically, call them just to be on the safe side. 

On another note, Mexico is visa free in 132 countries -including the whole European Union- and e-visa or visa on arrival in a lot others. For instance, in the case of Brazil, if visiting, you as a US citizen would need a visa while her, as Mexican, wouldn't. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The Ciudad Juarez consulate -where all interviews are held for México- is very saturated, so when the case shows as "Ready" on the CEAC site, your fiancee can schedule her interview, and it will be 4-5 months ahead. 

Being such the case, she has all those months to travel, before the interview. And she can fill the DS-160 and schedule from any point on earth that has internet connection. 

Just make sure the NOA2 does not expire within that timeframe and if it does, despite being extended automatically, call them just to be on the safe side. 

On another note, Mexico is visa free in 132 countries -including the whole European Union- and e-visa or visa on arrival in a lot others. For instance, in the case of Brazil, if visiting, you as a US citizen would need a visa while her, as Mexican, wouldn't. 

Okay, I just want to make sure I’m understanding correctly. 

So when the case status is “ready” at Juarez and she can schedule her appointment, The first available appointment will be about 4-5 months? Or are you saying that the appointment can be scheduled within 4-5 months?

How long does the NOA2 take to expire? If the interview is scheduled, it can still expire while waiting for the interview?

I know you said it is usually renewed automatically I just didn’t know that and wanted to learn those facts. 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

Okay, I just want to make sure I’m understanding correctly. 

So when the case status is “ready” at Juarez and she can schedule her appointment, The first available appointment will be about 4-5 months? Or are you saying that the appointment can be scheduled within 4-5 months?

How long does the NOA2 take to expire? If the interview is scheduled, it can still expire while waiting for the interview?

I know you said it is usually renewed automatically I just didn’t know that and wanted to learn those facts. 

First available appointment is about 4-5 months currently. That could increase -as it has happened lately-.

Regarding NOA2, if I recall correctly, it expires in 3 months. You'll see the date on the notification. So yes, it can expire while awaiting; but again, it's supposed to be renewed automatically.

So, if you filed in March, you might expect something -whether NOA2 or RFE- around September, plus a few weeks for the file to get to the NVC and then to the consulate, plus those 4-5 months to interview, there's time for travel aplenty.

Timeline

Mexico.. you wont get a interview no earlier than 4 months unless you check everyday to reschedule.

I got my NOA2 Feb. 26th, interview is august 28th.

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Looks like for Mexico you'll have about a year from submitting the petition to interview, that's without extending anything by choice, or without any unforeseen delays like RFEs.  So she can travel until next March with no issues, complete forms online from anywhere, go back to Mexico for the medical and interview, and if approved, enter the US right away or travel for another six months until September 2020 if she wants to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, Russel1995 said:

Mexico.. you wont get a interview no earlier than 4 months unless you check everyday to reschedule.

I got my NOA2 Feb. 26th, interview is august 28th.

WOW 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Travel where?

international?

or just see more of Mexico?

she can travel to many countries,  yes,  but going to some will require additional security checks 

you just submitted the K1 application in March so plenty of time for her to travel 

Timeline

Should note, any available appointments for mexico are now gone... they go quick.

when i scheduled, aug, 28th was earliest, than aug. 29th, then sept. 3rd.

All are booked.

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.