Lauren E

Neither my fiancé nor do I meet income requirements for k-1

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My fiancé is Venezuelan living in Peru, I met him there and we’ve been together for over a year. I want to bring him to the US, but neither he nor I have a stable income. What other options do we have? I know that we could get a joint sponsor, but who could that be? Is there a way he could get refugee status considering the situation in Venezuela ? 

You need either to increase the income of the US Citizen or get a joint sponsor.   That can be anyone who lives in the US

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1. Find a second job or a better job. Go back to the US and improve your life situation.

2. Find a joint sponsor. 

3. Your foreign fiance income doesnt matter. 

If you dont have a stable income then how are you going to support him when he comes to the US and cant work for months? How are you going to support him through AOS?

Dont count on the refugee status in order to skip the whole thing. It's not going to happen. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

He lives in Peru why would he need to claim asylum because he is originally from Venezuela?

Sounds like just trying to circumvent the financial responsibility tbh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Lauren E said:

but neither he nor I have a stable income

You will need income to live, to support him, to get a US visa approved, for many reasons.  Others in your situation go out and find a job, two jobs, three jobs, whatever is necessary to be together.  I had an Uber driver the other day who makes a net income of $1,000 a week after expenses just driving for Uber.  Unemployment is at an all-time low in most areas so there are jobs out there if you want to overcome this, you can.

Timeline

I’m looking for a job now, it shouldn’t be a problem to get some sort of job, but how far back to they look? I heard for 2 years they need to see income stability, does that mean I need to keep a job from now on for 2 years before we can even apply? 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

He lives in Peru why would he need to claim asylum because he is originally from Venezuela?

Sounds like just trying to circumvent the financial responsibility tbh

Yes, because I don’t have an income right now, so I would love to find a way to go around that requirement, I could support him for a while with my savings, I know he could get a job here quickly, he is young, strong and a hard worker.

4 hours ago, carmel34 said:

You will need income to live, to support him, to get a US visa approved, for many reasons.  Others in your situation go out and find a job, two jobs, three jobs, whatever is necessary to be together.  I had an Uber driver the other day who makes a net income of $1,000 a week after expenses just driving for Uber.  Unemployment is at an all-time low in most areas so there are jobs out there if you want to overcome this, you can.

Thanks you for your encouragement, I did just apply to be an Uber driver and delivery apps as well. 

Timeline
17 hours ago, Roel said:

1. Find a second job or a better job. Go back to the US and improve your life situation.

2. Find a joint sponsor. 

3. Your foreign fiance income doesnt matter. 

If you dont have a stable income then how are you going to support him when he comes to the US and cant work for months? How are you going to support him through AOS?

Dont count on the refugee status in order to skip the whole thing. It's not going to happen. 

What is AOS and also how many months does one usually need to wait before being able to work?

6 minutes ago, Lauren E said:

Thanks you for your encouragement, I did just apply to be an Uber driver and delivery apps as well. 

It's faster to have evidence of extra income when you're an employee than when you're self-employed - something to keep in mind if you'd like him to join you sooner.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Lauren E said:

What is a uSC and LPR?

USC = United States Citizen, LPR = Legal Permanent Resident (also known as green card holder)

1 hour ago, Lauren E said:

I know he could get a job here quickly, he is young, strong and a hard worker.

Then get married and apply for a spousal visa. He will then be able to work from the minute his passport is stamped on arrival. As it is, you’ve chosen (assuming you stick with the K-1) the most expensive visa that forbids him from working for many months. Why so many people still see this as the best option is beyond me. I understand for some there is no alternative but for many there is a much more logical alternative, especially when money is tight. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Lauren E said:

What is AOS and also how many months does one usually need to wait before being able to work?

AOS = Adjustment of Status

EAD/AP (work- and travel permit) currently take 5-7 months right now.

Green Card depends on your local office, and can take anywhere from 3 months to 1+ years.

Please educate yourself on this process. Knowledge is key. Without proper knowledge you can bump into RFE's, unpleasant surprises down the road and even denials. 

Read the guides on here (https://www.visajourney.com/k1-fiance-visa/) and the instructions on the USCIS website.

And as other said, without proper income there's no chance your fiancé will get a visa. You need to be able to proof at least 6 months of stable 125% poverty line income (K1 requires 100%, but for AOS you need 125% and some IO's at the embassy won't give out the visa if you make only 100%), so get a stable job and find a co-sponsor, just in case you need one.

Keep in mind, barely making the 125% is no guarantee that a visa will be granted or AOS will be accepted. Many, many stories on VJ where people barely made the 125% and were required to get a co-sponsor. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.