allie1978sall

lawyer or no lawyer

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am so confused. I am on the fence about whether or not to hire a lawyer to do all the paperwork for me, any advice would be wonderful!! What is my best bet in filing the I-130 visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Unless you/your spouse has ever been in trouble with the law, I'd go with no lawyer. All the answers you need is in this forum. Lawyers tend to make a lot of mistakes as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hubby and I have used this site from the very beginning. Take your time and read the documents and ask experienced members for advice. Save the money for a much needed vacation when this process is over😉

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
7 minutes ago, allie1978sall said:

I have something on my record from many years ago, so I’m probably going to have to get a lawyer ,

Unless it is a disqualification charge, or something serious all you have to do is declare it and send in the court records from the finial outcome. Should be easy enough to get records from the clerk or courts, and you can still file yourself without an attorney.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

When I spoke to a lawyer for a consultation she said it wasn’t a disqualification charge, and I shouldn’t worry about it at all. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
9 minutes ago, allie1978sall said:

When I spoke to a lawyer for a consultation she said it wasn’t a disqualification charge, and I shouldn’t worry about it at all. 

Than you wouldn't need a lawyer, but in the end you've gotta do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. The last thing you want is adding more stress to this process.

My now husband and I (came here on K1) filed K1 and AOS ourselves (we had a pretty straight forward case), but I've seen tons of people on here that have some kind of record and they still DYI and get approved. So no, you don't NEED a lawyer. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you do it yourself, spend lots of time here on VJ and review the CR-1 visa guide, the many experiences of others, especially regarding what to send as bona fide marriage relationship evidence with the I-130 petition, and research the Senegal embassy/consulate reviews, and experiences of others coming from Senegal.  If there are any potential red flags like age difference, previous issues with US immigration, language, culture, religion differences, or a high-fraud country, you need lots of in-person time, multiple visits, evidence of all that, plus co-mingling of finances evidence.  Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Even lawyers can make mistakes. A friend of mine went through this process and their lawyer failed to tell them to submit a document and it delayed their process significantly.  I did it on my own and I didn't have any delays or issues. 

• Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Montreal, Canada
  • Marriage: 2017-05-08
  • i130 Sent: 2017-07-07
  • i130 NOA1: 2017-07-12
  • i130 NOA2: 2018-02-15
  • NVC Received: 2018-03-07
  • Case Number Received: 2018-05-10
  • Send AOS Package: 2018-05-23
  • Send IV Package: 2018-07-19
  • Case Completed at NVC: 2018-07-26
  • Interview Date: 2018-10-31 (approved!)
  • Visa in hand: 2018-11-05

Timeline

I do have a question for you all, if I need help from any of you, will any of you assist me? Like I don’t understand the whole lock box that they are talking about on the immigration site. So, do I mail the petition to this lockbox?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.