Jump to content
Peter Parker

232 days in the US with CR-1 process, but still no green card!

28 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey :),

 

I've never posted here because I have just dealt with things on my own up till now, but I'm getting pretty desperate because USCIS has screwed up my case so badly.

I'm a lawful permanent resident (with conditional status) after going through the CR-1 process, and immigrated in August last year. I was one of the first ever people to go through their new electronic case record system, where I had no physical visa packet. This seems to have rubbed up against personnel across USCIS not being properly trained in the new system, and I have fallen badly somewhere between the cracks. I'm not sure what to do at this point, short of just waiting forever on faith, writing to politicians, or paying a lot of money to an immigration lawyer.

 

Here's a timeline...

 

July 25th 2018 - Attended interview at US London Embassy for the final step of the lengthy CR-1 process; informed I was one of the first electronic cases so may have no physical visa packet
August 2nd 2018 - Received passport back in mail, and letter explaining immigration process, giving A number, DOS Case ID, and with info about physical visa packet crossed out by hand
August 2nd 2018 - Paid "USCIS Immigrant Fee" online
August 6th 2018 - Immigrated to US through Boston airport, immigration official was a bit confused about lack of physical visa packet but proceeded okay and I got my temporary green card stamp in my passport
[December 4th 2018 - Should have received green card by this date in mail, 120 days maximum]
December 6th 2018 - Contacted USCIS about missing green card by phone
December 15th 2018 - USCIS replied saying visa packet was missing at Texas Service Center and that a lost packet process was being initiated (received in mail a few days later, likely delayed due to Christmas rush)
December 26th 2018 - Sent online message to USCIS explaining there was no physical visa packet, due to new electronic system
January 4th 2019 - Received form response from USCIS saying to just wait and with no acknowledgement about my explanation of the electronic visa packet
February 12th 2019 - Contacted US London Embassy asking them to help get things unblocked, as the process originated with them
February 20th 2019 - Received reply from US London Embassy saying I should continue to liaise with USCIS but they would contact Texas Service Center
[March 14th 2019 - Temporary green card expired]
March 15th 2019 - Phoned USCIS, was told there had been no progress since December 15th 2018, and I should go to Milwaukee to resolve and get a temporary re-entry visa - and Milwaukee would contact me to schedule an appointment
March 19th 2019 - Was emailed by USCIS and told I would instead hear from Texas Service Center, that their internal re-review should it was not appropriate to go to Milwaukee
[March 26th 2019 - 1 week later, have heard nothing, and still have no ability to leave and re-enter the country or to do various important things a green card is required for. 232 days and counting]
[August 14th 2019 - I have to leave the country for my brother's wedding, and have no way of getting back into the US afterwards]

 

Anyone got any suggestions or experiences that could maybe help me?

 

As an aside, for presumably the same reasons, I never received my social security card. I was able to sort that out myself by going to the SSA and jumping through various hoops (including going back because they'd typed the wrong address to mail it out to). So at least I do have an SSN.

I am very fortunate that I actually am self-employed through my UK company and doing contract work, so I don't need to seek employment through any US company - but I still am screwed for various other reasons right now.

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Peter Parker said:

Hey :),

 

I've never posted here because I have just dealt with things on my own up till now, but I'm getting pretty desperate because USCIS has screwed up my case so badly.

I'm a lawful permanent resident (with conditional status) after going through the CR-1 process, and immigrated in August last year. I was one of the first ever people to go through their new electronic case record system, where I had no physical visa packet. This seems to have rubbed up against personnel across USCIS not being properly trained in the new system, and I have fallen badly somewhere between the cracks. I'm not sure what to do at this point, short of just waiting forever on faith, writing to politicians, or paying a lot of money to an immigration lawyer.

 

Here's a timeline...

 

July 25th 2018 - Attended interview at US London Embassy for the final step of the lengthy CR-1 process; informed I was one of the first electronic cases so may have no physical visa packet
August 2nd 2018 - Received passport back in mail, and letter explaining immigration process, giving A number, DOS Case ID, and with info about physical visa packet crossed out by hand
August 2nd 2018 - Paid "USCIS Immigrant Fee" online
August 6th 2018 - Immigrated to US through Boston airport, immigration official was a bit confused about lack of physical visa packet but proceeded okay and I got my temporary green card stamp in my passport
[December 4th 2018 - Should have received green card by this date in mail, 120 days maximum]
December 6th 2018 - Contacted USCIS about missing green card by phone
December 15th 2018 - USCIS replied saying visa packet was missing at Texas Service Center and that a lost packet process was being initiated (received in mail a few days later, likely delayed due to Christmas rush)
December 26th 2018 - Sent online message to USCIS explaining there was no physical visa packet, due to new electronic system
January 4th 2019 - Received form response from USCIS saying to just wait and with no acknowledgement about my explanation of the electronic visa packet
February 12th 2019 - Contacted US London Embassy asking them to help get things unblocked, as the process originated with them
February 20th 2019 - Received reply from US London Embassy saying I should continue to liaise with USCIS but they would contact Texas Service Center
[March 14th 2019 - Temporary green card expired]
March 15th 2019 - Phoned USCIS, was told there had been no progress since December 15th 2018, and I should go to Milwaukee to resolve and get a temporary re-entry visa - and Milwaukee would contact me to schedule an appointment
March 19th 2019 - Was emailed by USCIS and told I would instead hear from Texas Service Center, that their internal re-review should it was not appropriate to go to Milwaukee
[March 26th 2019 - 1 week later, have heard nothing, and still have no ability to leave and re-enter the country or to do various important things a green card is required for. 232 days and counting]
[August 14th 2019 - I have to leave the country for my brother's wedding, and have no way of getting back into the US afterwards]

 

Anyone got any suggestions or experiences that could maybe help me?

 

As an aside, for presumably the same reasons, I never received my social security card. I was able to sort that out myself by going to the SSA and jumping through various hoops (including going back because they'd typed the wrong address to mail it out to). So at least I do have an SSN.

I am very fortunate that I actually am self-employed through my UK company and doing contract work, so I don't need to seek employment through any US company - but I still am screwed for various other reasons right now.

 

Thanks in advance.

Damn, this sucks, sorry you have to go through this. Did you get an info pass appointment at your local office to get another I-151 stamp? That would serve as another 1 year GC (or if the 2yr GC expires before that, it would be good until that date) At this point you could also try to reach out to your local senator / congressman. 

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply :). That's what I was discussing with USCIS on the phone (going to Milwaukee) until they pulled the carpet from under me a few days later. But I didn't know the specifics, so thanks, that helps! Maybe I can just make one of these appointments myself outside this particular query.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Peter Parker said:

Thanks for the reply :). That's what I was discussing with USCIS on the phone (going to Milwaukee) until they pulled the carpet from under me a few days later. But I didn't know the specifics, so thanks, that helps! Maybe I can just make one of these appointments myself outside this particular query.

You might want to check out this thread. I haven't had the chance to check it if it actually helps. But if you have the time you can check it out.

 

 

 


10/15/18 - I-751 Packet sent

10/16/18 - Signed and received

10/19/18 - Check cashed

10/22/18 - Text from USCIS with LINXXXXXXXX

12/20/18 - Got my NOA1 aka Extension Letter 

03/14/19 - Got an update thru email that "New Card is Being Produced" (Not sure yet until it really comes in the mail) (Case Status website)

3/15/19 - Got an update on myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov of "New Card is Being Produced" Followed by a "Case Was Approved" update.

3/18/19 - 3 Approval Letters came with the approval date as 3/14/19

3/20/19 - Physical card arrived in the mail

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, portorusa said:

So sorry you find yourself in this predicament, Peter Parker. You should sue USCIS for screwing you up like this, really.

I'm reading through the thread linked above, lots of others in the exact same situation it seems. Utterly incompetent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter Parker said:

Thanks for the reply :). That's what I was discussing with USCIS on the phone (going to Milwaukee) until they pulled the carpet from under me a few days later. But I didn't know the specifics, so thanks, that helps! Maybe I can just make one of these appointments myself outside this particular query.

A lot of service centers don't accept online appointments anymore, but you can call USCIS (seems like you mostly emailed with them, am I right?) to make an appointment. And even if you called before, just call again. Chances are that you talk to a different representative that'll actually schedule your info pass appointment (and it's not for re-entry permit, it's for the I-151 aka green card stamp)

 

Hope you get it solved soon! Keep us updated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, C90 said:

A lot of service centers don't accept online appointments anymore, but you can call USCIS (seems like you mostly emailed with them, am I right?) to make an appointment. And even if you called before, just call again. Chances are that you talk to a different representative that'll actually schedule your info pass appointment (and it's not for re-entry permit, it's for the I-151 aka green card stamp)

 

Hope you get it solved soon! Keep us updated!

Thanks. I just filed a case with the Ombudsman.

 

I have both been calling and doing the online messaging. Right now I'm typing up an online message to beg them for an InfoPass appointment to do that - and if they'll decline I'll try calling in a couple of weeks or something. I've got some time still fortunately.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, portorusa said:

So sorry you find yourself in this predicament, Peter Parker. You should sue USCIS for screwing you up like this, really.

Yeah. A lot of good that would do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion, to be among similar threads.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[March 14th 2019 - Temporary green card expired]

temporary green card should be good for one year which start from the date you entried.

Go get a stamp at the local office before it expires-  that's what the boarder immigration officer told me when I re-enter US with no actual green card.

I am entered US a month after you, close to milwaukee, same situation.  I never had the chance to speak to a real person via phone call and milwaukee doesnt do online appointment. I'm just  doing nothing after seen so many cases couldn't reach them to get a proper answer.

Hope you good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sherry_c said:

[March 14th 2019 - Temporary green card expired]

temporary green card should be good for one year which start from the date you entried.

Go get a stamp at the local office before it expires-  that's what the boarder immigration officer told me when I re-enter US with no actual green card.

I am entered US a month after you, close to milwaukee, same situation.  I never had the chance to speak to a real person via phone call and milwaukee doesnt do online appointment. I'm just  doing nothing after seen so many cases couldn't reach them to get a proper answer.

Hope you good luck

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for your reply. It's definitely 6 months in my case, definitely expired already.

My attempt to reach out to them yesterday just resulted in me getting shot down - I was told to wait at least 30 days for Texas Service Center to reply (counting from March 19th) and they wouldn't even consider anything else until then :(.

 

It's so frustrating dealing with these people. I'm generally a calm person, but they make me genuinely furious. No concern or care for the welfare of the people that are paying them for service, no free thought, just mindless soulless drones.

Hopefully the Ombudsman's office will be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since your Visa expired you need to call USCIS and book an InfoPass Appointment so they can stamp your passport to extend the visa (most likely another year).  Explain your situation and they should do this no problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Peter Parker said:

Thanks for your reply. It's definitely 6 months in my case, definitely expired already.

 

Does your CR1 visa not say "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ate said:

 

Does your CR1 visa not say "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR"?

 

Oooh. You're right. I misunderstood.

I have the IV Expires On, which is six months - but that's for it's status as an immigrant visa only. When you come through the  temporary I-551 is endorsed and this is therefore superseding the immigrant visa function.

Thanks :).

 

However doesn't help me, lol. I have to leave the country just after the 1 year date. I've been shot down twice now regarding getting an InfoPass appointment, but I'll do it again (by phone) after waiting past the 30 days Texas Service Center is being given to respond. I have just over 4 months runway - which should be more than enough time, but just knowing what USCIS are like, may not be.

 

Thanks everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...