Arvind K

Form I-751 Help/Calrifications

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

First time here. I had a few questions regarding the I-751 process for removal of conditions on the Green Card. I'm a US Citizen and my wife is currently in Conditional Permanent Residency status. Her 2 period is coming in in May19 and we are planning to file the I-751 form. My 2 questions are:

1. Is it worth going with an attorney for this process during this time? We have the documentation on hard in terms of joint bank statements, credit card statements, lease agreements, joint tax filings as well as pictures and other marriage proofs when we submitted initially during our I-130 process?.We did consult with an attorney and she advised us that given the current climate it would better to retain an attorney for the filing process in the event that we have to go into an interview etc.

2. If anyone has gone through the process recently, or submitted the form online, approximately how long does it take to get the notice of action? 

Appreciate your help.

Arvind

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Arvind K said:

Hi Everyone,

First time here. I had a few questions regarding the I-751 process for removal of conditions on the Green Card. I'm a US Citizen and my wife is currently in Conditional Permanent Residency status. Her 2 period is coming in in May19 and we are planning to file the I-751 form. My 2 questions are:

1. Is it worth going with an attorney for this process during this time? We have the documentation on hard in terms of joint bank statements, credit card statements, lease agreements, joint tax filings as well as pictures and other marriage proofs when we submitted initially during our I-130 process?.We did consult with an attorney and she advised us that given the current climate it would better to retain an attorney for the filing process in the event that we have to go into an interview etc.

2. If anyone has gone through the process recently, or submitted the form online, approximately how long does it take to get the notice of action? 

Appreciate your help.

Arvind

Arvind,

This is my personal opinion.

1. NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT.  Lawyers will suck you dry.  If the marriage is geniune, you will not have a problem at all.  Paperwork is rather easy in my opinion.

2. The form cannot be filed online.  It can only be filed by paper at one of the two lockboxes depending on your State of residence.  You may want to look at February 2019 and March 2019 threat and read through to see how long the wait is to get I-797 (NOA) based on what other members have reported.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Arvind K said:

Hi Everyone,

Appreciate your help.

Arvind

1.  The decision to hire an attorney is a personal choice depending on your specific circumstances, complexity of your case and how much time you are willing to spend on it. Having said that, based on my personal experience the I-751 petition is relatively straightforward & can be done without an attorney. And there is plenty of good advice on this forum for clarifications with the process. I did our I-751 petition without any attorney.

Also, keep in mind that attorneys are known to use "current climate" or other scare tactics to get business for their firm.

2. I-751 petition can only be paper filed. The filing locations are either the Dallas or Phoenix Lockbox, depending on your state of residence. Please follow the instructions here:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-751

Typically the receipt notice (NOA1) comes within 1~2 weeks of filing. However, certain filers in Dec 2018 & Jan 2019 (including myself) faced delays of around 1~2 months to get the NOA1. The Feb 2019 filers are getting their receipt notices within 1~2 weeks.

Good luck!

Edited by H-M

N-400 timeline:

Spoiler

5/9/2022: N-400 Received by USCIS

5/9/2022: Biometric Reuse Notice

7/5/2022: Received Interview Scheduled Notice

8/12/2022: Interview @ Cincinnati Field Office, Approved same-day

9/9/2022: Completed Oath Ceremony

ROC timeline:

Spoiler

01/06/2019: 90-day ROC filing window open

01/07/2019: Sent I-751 petition to USCIS Dallas Lockbox via USPS 2-day Priority Mail

01/09/2019: ROC package delivered by USPS to PO Box

01/14/2019: Received USCIS text message with receipt number starting with LIN-xxxxxxx

01/15/2019: Check cashed, Added receipt# to USCIS account (myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov), Current Status: "We received your case, You do not need to do anything at this time"

02/14/2019: Submitted e-request for non-delivery of receipt notice

02/28/2019: Received e-request response. Receipt notice was never initially sent and we should receive it in 10-14 business days

03/04/2019: Received original NOA1 letter with 18 month extension

08/09/2019: Received biometrics appointment letter, scheduled for Aug 19

08/14/2019: Completed early walk-in biometrics appointment on Aug 13, Status changed on myUSCIS site to "Fingerprint Review Was Completed"

01/02/2020: Case status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

01/03/2020: Case status updated to "Case Was Approved"

01/06/2020: Received I-751 Approval Notice in the mail 

01/09/2020: Received 10yr Green Card in the mail

I-751 ROC Package Contents, Assembly & Photos:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/693181-i-751-january-2019-filers/?do=findComment&comment=9522611

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/693181-i-751-january-2019-filers/?do=findComment&comment=9522687

AOS timeline:

Spoiler

12/21/2015: I-485 Received by USCIS

12/24/2015: I-485 NOA date

02/26/2016: Biometrics Appointment

04/04/2017: Interview @ Louisville Field Office

04/06/2017: I-485 Approved

04/12/2017: GC Received

1. Waste of money. Roc is pretty easy. 

2. No online filling. 

Also currently you're waiting for 12 to 18 months for approval. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

That attorney is just trying to scare you into hiring her.  We hired an attorney to guide us through the CR-1 process.  I now know that I didn't need him (His office actually cost us a 3 month delay).  After a lot of time studying here on VJ, we are NOT going to use an attorney for my wife's I-751.  We plan to file it in about 3 weeks.   I plan to use the I-751 guide here on VJ.  I plan to send the following:

1.  Apt lease with both our names & signatures
2.  Joint bank acct with both our names (We have made sure we use both debits cards for every day expenses)
3.  Deed for new home with both our names

4.  Mortgage documents with both our names.
5.  Credit Cards showing both with same card number
6.  Amazon delivery labels showing both names and our current address
7.  Wife's Military Dependent ID card showing me as the sponsor
8.  Tricare health care coverage documents showing both of us as spouses.
9.  Military pay statement showing wife as my benefic.
10.  Health Care proxy statements for each other (Advanced Directives)
11. Texas driver's licenses with same address for both of us
12. Credit Card statement in July 2018 showing both of us as air passengers for a trip to Taiwan
13.  Tax Returns 
14.  Pictures of us on special occasions here in the US.
15.  Car Insurance Cards
16.  Trip documents to Las Vegas trip we took to celebrate Valentine's Day 2019

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

31 minutes ago, Arvind K said:

What current climate? 

The i-751 process is rather straightforward, even more so if you have a genuine marriage with no flags. The form cannot be filed online, a paper version is required, alongwith all the evidence you noted. Tens of thousands are going thru this process. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

What current climate? 

The i-751 process is rather straightforward, even more so if you have a genuine marriage with no flags. The form cannot be filed online, a paper version is required, alongwith all the evidence you noted. Tens of thousands are going thru this process. 

Agree 100%.  The I-751 process appears to be much, much simpler than the CR-1 or K-1 processes.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

24 minutes ago, GBOS said:

Maybe the lawyer means severe weather, it would not be safe to drive to ship the I-751 package.  Better to hire a lawyer to ship it 😂

Lol.. rough seas..  Moh monay for tha lawya! 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

7 hours ago, GBOS said:

Arvind,

This is my personal opinion.

1. NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT.  Lawyers will suck you dry.  If the marriage is geniune, you will not have a problem at all.  Paperwork is rather easy in my opinion.

2. The form cannot be filed online.  It can only be filed by paper at one of the two lockboxes depending on your State of residence.  You may want to look at February 2019 and March 2019 threat and read through to see how long the wait is to get I-797 (NOA) based on what other members have reported.

Thanks for your response! Yea we were just wondering if having a lawyer's representation on the form carries any weight in the process in terms of how easy/difficult the immigration officers would judge our case. Also, would you know in case at a later point in time, if there is a request for an interview, if it's possible to have a lawyer represent you at that point, purely to help prep and come to interview?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, Arvind K said:

Thanks for your response! Yea we were just wondering if having a lawyer's representation on the form carries any weight in the process in terms of how easy/difficult the immigration officers would judge our case. Also, would you know in case at a later point in time, if there is a request for an interview, if it's possible to have a lawyer represent you at that point, purely to help prep and come to interview?

You can retain a lawyer at any point in the process. That would be up to a lawyer if he/she is willing to take you guys up as clients.

Honestly, you should not need a lawyer in any step, especially the interview.  A lawyer cannot answer questions for you.  He/she is there to make sure that the interview is conducted according to USCIS regulations.  Questions about a couple can be anything and you can even google them if it comes to that.

Immigration lawyers are not worth the money, unless your case is extremely complicated (facing deportation, criminal history etc.)  Most people here on VJ do it on our own.

8 hours ago, missileman said:

That attorney is just trying to scare you into hiring her.  We hired an attorney to guide us through the CR-1 process.  I now know that I didn't need him (His office actually cost us a 3 month delay).  After a lot of time studying here on VJ, we are NOT going to use an attorney for my wife's I-751.  We plan to file it in about 3 weeks.   I plan to use the I-751 guide here on VJ.  I plan to send the following:

1.  Apt lease with both our names & signatures
2.  Joint bank acct with both our names (We have made sure we use both debits cards for every day expenses)
3.  Deed for new home with both our names

4.  Mortgage documents with both our names.
5.  Credit Cards showing both with same card number
6.  Amazon delivery labels showing both names and our current address
7.  Wife's Military Dependent ID card showing me as the sponsor
8.  Tricare health care coverage documents showing both of us as spouses.
9.  Military pay statement showing wife as my benefic.
10.  Health Care proxy statements for each other (Advanced Directives)
11. Texas driver's licenses with same address for both of us
12. Credit Card statement in July 2018 showing both of us as air passengers for a trip to Taiwan
13.  Tax Returns 
14.  Pictures of us on special occasions here in the US.
15.  Car Insurance Cards
16.  Trip documents to Las Vegas trip we took to celebrate Valentine's Day 2019

Wow, thank you so much for this list! We weren't sure whether to just go with the lawyer for peace of mind but after seeing this list, we have most of the proofs here (with the exception of a mortgage). But we do have lease documents etc.. This gives me more confidence to just do it ourselves and save the lawyer fees

Having a lawyer will NOT make your case go quicker or easier... it literally doesn't matter. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As stated above an attorney is it not needed.  Further, for info:  I worked for a firm that had an immigration practice.  When cases were super simple, the paperwork was completed by an intern or paralegal.  Attorneys only briefly check it over to make sure nothing crucial was missed.  So your attorney fee is easy cash to the firm.  Save the money for a vacation or an item you guys want to purchase. 

There are threads for people filing in the same month as you.  Check those to get timelines, etc.  I had my NoA (extension letter) within 2 weeks.  Biometrics appointment was about 6 weeks after filing.

More than anything, this is a “burden filing”, in the sense you need to prove the legitimacy of the marriage, but if there’s nothing to hide, it will be a smooth ride.  

Lots of help here if you get stuck somewhere along the line :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.