armandbernabeo

applied for b2/visa in the philippines

11 posts in this topic

hi!
 my Us Citizen mother will undergo an eye surgery.. her physician send me letter to show it to the Us Embassy here in the Philippines. i got my emergency appointment feb28 this morning. i was denied, the consul ask me what is your travel plan? i answered it with: i just want to be with my mother before and after the eye operation.
then consul ask me 2nd question. how long would it take you to stay? my answer: once she's cleared with her physician i will go home.
consul ask me again, what is the duration of your stay? my answer: once she is cleared by her physician. consul said it says here in your application 6months. i just nodge then he ask me a question again. who will support you? my answer: my brother he has a construction business. consul said are you going to work with your brother? i said NO.
then he ask me what do you do? i said i am a driver.
My question to all of you guys is this... am not a doctor, right? i can't say how long i will stay there. 
because i put there 6months in the ds-160 form my plan travel. why is not acceptable the words i said to him? 
what i did now i process a new ds-160 form since this emergency for us. 
please help i need to be there with my mom before and after her operation!
i will post my schedule for the emergency appointment "2nd attempt"

PS:sorry for my english.. hope you understand what im saying..thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the issue was, that while you showed compelling reasons to visit the US----you didn't show any compelling reasons to return (which is what the CO wants to see).

With employment in your home country, you would have had to tell them *something* as to how long you would be not returning to work, right?  The CO likely doubted your employer would give you time-off for a straight 6 months (this is probably why he asked what you do for a living).

With you not being able to answer the CO's question about how long you would stay (I mean, with a job, you would have some idea since you would have to return to work), that was another issue.

A third issue may have been that it sounds like your brother would be financially supporting you during your entire trip...which can lead the CO to believe your brother would continue to financially support you if you never returned back home.

Fourth issue may be the brother and mother living in the US and how they themselves immigrated (if they did).  For example, if the brother and/or mother adjusted status within the US after arriving on a tourist visa, the CO may believe you wanted to try the same thing (thinking you would try to wait out your priority date in the US).

I'm not saying any of the above is what your intentions were----rather how the CO may have seen it.

Good luck with your second interview.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

ditto

the officer was asking for a specific time and you were vague in all your answers, and the officer even repeated them for you. he or she wanted an answer

a job won't allow you to stay here for long, you need to be prepared to give specific answers or you will get denied again

you have to say a month, two months, but not too much. you have to show ties and reasons to return and a time that you will return

it looks to the officer that you want to stay forever, indefinitely 

your mom can't depend on you, you are visiting, nor can you depend on her, your family will need to find who can take care of her in her recovery. you can't stay that long, it can take months for her full recovery. your family needs to have a plan, you can help them for a short period of time.

hopefully it won't take her that long to recover

Edited by aleful

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sorry about your mom.

You have zero chances of getting a tourist visa.

You have to consider things from the CO's point of view.

You have no definitive time for leaving the US.  You want to stay six months.  You are a driver, so how are you going to support yourself for six months in the US?  Are you going to just sit around?  No temptation to work for your brother?  

Your words are acceptable to the US.  He heard them.  He just doesn't reach the same conclusion as you.  You think that your words being acceptable means he should grant you a visa.  He heard your words and accepted them to mean that you have weak ties to the PI and strong lies to the US where you are likely to violate the terms of a visitor visa if you were granted one.

Sorry.

I agree with the others. It is because you are uncertain about when you would return. You were asked multiple times and you gave an answered that pretty much told the CO that you don't truly know your length of stay.

What if the recovery takes longer than 6 months? What if you mother changes her mind and wants you to live in the US instead of going home? You have to be certain of your plans and not seem like you are playing it by ear. Having a loved one that is in need in the US is a big red flag for officers. Plus you have a support system in the US. You brother can provide you with a place to stay and a job if he wanted to. This is the recipe for a denial.

Now, your immediate 2nd attempt will look like you are desperate. So be prepared, you already have a flag of a high risk hanging over you. You may very well be in for another denial.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can understand wanting to visit your Mother when she is having an Operation, I can also see why you were refused.

You I assume do not have a full time job, what Employer would give you unspecified leave.

You appear not to have funds as you need your brother to provide support.

You make it sound like you are not visiting bit want to go to look after your Mother for however long it takes, bir the purpose of a B2.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A tourist visa is for tourism, for short periods of time to visit tourist destinations like Disney World or New York City.  Visiting family for 6 months is a big red flag and likely to lead to another denial.  Having family in the US is also a big hurdle to overcome, especially if you are asking for a six-month stay.  If you try again, ask for a few weeks, less than a month, to be with your Mom while she has the surgery and a few weeks after.  That may help if you say "three weeks," or something specific.  She has other family in the US to help her so it is not an emergency in the eyes of the CO.  Maybe get a different job that requires you to return after a few weeks of vacation time.  Do you own property?  Have a signed lease for a place to live in your home country?  Family you are likely to return to in the PI?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Agree with the others. You have to show a compelling reason as to why you will return to your home country. Also, most people in the US don't spend 6 months with a family member after eye surgery...it just doesn't sound convincing. Maybe a few weeks or a month maximum.

2 hours ago, databit said:

A hired caretaker could look after your mother. That is an job in America---a job you would be doing, a job you would be taking away from an American. A visitor visa is not for work.

This is a great point. CO's are extremely picky about the reasons why a family member should get a B visa. If anything you mention might be seen as a kind of "work" beyond just visiting/tourism, you will be denied.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I am greatful to all your suggestion and what to do. I have my family heredin Philippines.With 4kids my 2nd child was diagnose with autism.Yes,im a driver .Uber left our country. Now i am a Grab driver /  Operator almost 4 yrs being a driver up to present. My brother will support me. Ihave a reason to comeback.My kids need their father.This is my mom where talking about.Family is everything. My mom has double vision of everything .Back in 2016,she hit her head on the floor.She's 84 now.Prism glasses not working anymore. Its worsening now.

24 minutes ago, armandbernabeo said:

I am greatful to all your suggestion and what to do. I have my family heredin Philippines.With 4kids my 2nd child was diagnose with autism.Yes,im a driver .Uber left our country. Now i am a Grab driver /  Operator almost 4 yrs being a driver up to present. My brother will support me. Ihave a reason to comeback.My kids need their father.This is my mom where talking about.Family is everything. My mom has double vision of everything .Back in 2016,she hit her head on the floor.She's 84 now.Prism glasses not working anymore. Its worsening now.

Yes, we understand that you care for and are worried about your mother. But there is not much more you can do except reapply and see what happens.

Visitor visas are not guaranteed to foreigners even if there are strenuous situations like yours.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.