ManOnMoon

Fiance About to Receive K-1 Visa(merged)

90 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

My lovely fiance just handed in her passport to the Hong Kong consulate and will retrieve her visa sometime early next week. 

With her holding the K-1 visa she will then fly into ORD/LAX and land using her K-1 visa, will she go through biometrics finger printing onsite at the airport? (I heard for some visas you do)

Also a lingering question of ours is when she flies into US, can she fly back to Hong Kong and continue her work while her green card application is in process?

Our plan is she can fly here for a week get married next day and apply for green card then she flies back to Hong Kong to continue her work and fly back once we receive her ead/temp green card (I will personally hand her those items when I visit her in Hong Kong and she'll fly back with me to stay. 

Lastly can someone provide a detail explanation/personal experiences of how long it'll take to apply for green card (i 485 form, if I'm correct).

Thanks for all your help! 

PS if you're wondering why we're doing this is because she's currently in a lease in Hong Kong and her place doesn't allow sublease and we do not want to pay for an empty lease. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

My lovely fiance just handed in her passport to the Hong Kong consulate and will retrieve her visa sometime early next week. 

With her holding the K-1 visa she will then fly into ORD/LAX and land using her K-1 visa, will she go through biometrics finger printing onsite at the airport? (I heard for some visas you do)

Also a lingering question of ours is when she flies into US, can she fly back to Hong Kong and continue her work while her green card application is in process?

Our plan is she can fly here for a week get married next day and apply for green card then she flies back to Hong Kong to continue her work and fly back once we receive her ead/temp green card (I will personally hand her those items when I visit her in Hong Kong and she'll fly back with me to stay. 

Lastly can someone provide a detail explanation/personal experiences of how long it'll take to apply for green card (i 485 form, if I'm correct).

PS if you're wondering why we're doing this is because she's currently in a lease in Hong Kong and her place doesn't allow sublease and we do not want to pay for an empty lease. 

No she absolutely can not leave. This was the wrong application to go after. You should have married and then she would have been a green card holder upon arrival.

Once she arrives and you marry then submit the Adjustment of Status it is taking 4 to 6 months (some longer) to get the EAD/AP card. The AP (Advance Parole) is what she needs to be able to get back into the US.

The I485 that will get her the green card is about a 8 to 12 month wait. So in summary she is land locked here for at the very least 4 to 5 months. If she leaves before she gets her AP approved  it will be an abandonment of the adjustment of status application and you would then have to start over and submit a I-130 (spousal application) that takes 12 to 15 months from filing to interview in her country.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For what it's worth, you can add the cost of an empty lease in addition to no longer being employed as costs associated with immigration. Not only is the immigration process complicated and lengthy, but costly too. You can avoid attorney costs by doing it yourself but you're not going to avoid all costs.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

17 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

Sorry but as others have said, once she enters the US on her K1, she cannot leave until she receives her EAD/AP or the green card. Or rather, she CAN leave but she will not be allowed back in. You can't mail or bring the EAD/AP or green card to her. CBP and USCIS share information. They will know she left before the AP or green card were approved and will automatically cancel her entire AoS application. At that point, you won't even receive an AP document or green card at all. Not sure why you did K1 in this case. Spousal visa would have been way more practical for you guys if you needed her to be able to travel back and forth. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ManOnMoon said:

Okay I see, typically how long would it take until she can apply and start working?

After marriage and application submissions then 5 to 6 months 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

After marriage and application submissions then 5 to 6 months 

It takes 5-6 months to get EAD and start work? I thought it was ~3

Can someone explain what AP stands for, I know AOS means adjustment of status 

Timeline
Just now, ManOnMoon said:

Ead and ap (advanced parole) are a combination card and come together 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

It used to be 3 to 4 months back in 2017.

Now it's 5 to 6 months.

AP is Advanced Parole with which she can leave the US once the card is issued.

As others have already stated before the AP card is usually a combo card together with the work permit ( EAD).

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

AP = travel permit document. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
Just now, ManOnMoon said:

I heard that AP nowadays takes 5-6months during that period is it true that they cannot work?

What are they suppose to do? What did yours do? All ideas greatly accepted. 

You cannot work without employment authorization (EAD) which is not the benefit AP provides .  Separate applications but combined card

YMMV

No way to convert.   You get married and file the I-130 and wait again.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.