DeeptiG

schengen visa on EAD/AP

54 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, millefleur said:

Were you able to talk to someone at the Consulate face to face or was this via a Schengen visa application center?

i was there in person for an interview. The lady at first was confused. Upon giving her the AP document that i have and also pointing out its valditiy; she said this should work, But she went in for a discusison with head of visa and came back saying that they cannot accept this. i need to be either PR or have a visa. i did let her know about using this document for reentry without any issues ..but she said head of visa says no. 

7 hours ago, DeeptiG said:

Any got a Schengen visa on EAD/AP.

i have a work trip coming up in April to Germany. I went to German consulate and they did not accept AP/EAD as a valid proof.

anyone has experience in getting schengen visa on EAD/AP 

Laws pertaining to visas for Schengen countries or anything else have nothing to do with EAD/AP/US status.

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, EAD/AP means your status is AOS pending.. which isn’t really a status from a foreign government perspective in the way that an I551 stamp, for example, would be.  It’s just proof you’ve applied for a particular status. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
11 hours ago, DeeptiG said:

I was not given a AP Card, but i have a valid EAD and approved AP ; which has a date on it saying "paroled" till Oct 19 2019. When we applied for EAD, our AP did not come along hence i have been applying AP seperately  and have never been denied entry in or out of other countries. i travelled to Mexico , Dubai and India all in last 1 year .and i explained the same to them. 

One question. Is the 'paroled' you are referring to a stamp in your passport? Cause everyone who comes back the first time on AP (and prob people that get emergency AP that's usually only valid for 1 trip) gets that stamp, it's not actually a valid AP. It simply means you don't have to go through secondary every single time you travel back to the US until Oct 19 2019. 

I'm from the Schengen area so unfortunately no experience with visas for over there. 

14 minutes ago, C90 said:

One question. Is the 'paroled' you are referring to a stamp in your passport? Cause everyone who comes back the first time on AP (and prob people that get emergency AP that's usually only valid for 1 trip) gets that stamp, it's not actually a valid AP. It simply means you don't have to go through secondary every single time you travel back to the US until Oct 19 2019. 

I'm from the Schengen area so unfortunately no experience with visas for over there. 

I have travelled on AP several times to MX, India and Dubai. I have a valid AP and the date is till Oct 19th 2019. 

I do wonder what the reasoning is here. If you showed proof of the business trip, combined with proof of legal status into the US. You should be able to plead your case. They are basically looking for the same signs as every other consulate. "Is this person going to leave our country".  But it's not the first time an government employee has made a mistake reading the rules. If the trip is business related, and you are an employee, you might be able to let your employer worry about it.

4 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

combined with proof of legal status into the US

Just to re-iterate, the OP does not have legal status in the US. They have an authorized stay while their case is pending. They are considered lawfully present.

There is a difference. Maybe that matters to them or not...I don't know their visa rules.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Their rules are the same as for all the other Shengen countries, Approve if you are able to verify the applicant is not looking for temporary admittance and will most leave in time. The list of documents they can use includes AP and EAD, it makes it possible for them to return you at the border.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

My husband received a Schengen visa and we traveled to Germany and back and used the EAD/AP combo card. 
Did you go to the German consulate and they told you there that they do not accept advanced parole? Because that doesn't sound right in my experience. 

how long will be received the EAD/AP combo card when u sent out the application form?! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, accumbyte said:

4 to 6 months on average. This is a drawback of the K-1 process when compared to the CR-1 process (Green Card status upon US POE).

i see, thanks :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is a lot of feeling of "entitlement" these days.. people seem to feel they have the "right" to come to the US, then they have the "right" to get visas or into other countries, and when told no, they complain... When you first come to the US and AOS, you should have already told yourself, I won't be traveling anywhere for 1-2 years. End of story. So now complaining because another country has said "no" to you, do not complain, wait and try again at an appropriate time.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 hours ago, DeeptiG said:

I have travelled on AP several times to MX, India and Dubai. I have a valid AP and the date is till Oct 19th 2019. 

Yeah, that date won't change... Because you are paroled into the country until October 19th, 2019. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

I do wonder what the reasoning is here. If you showed proof of the business trip, combined with proof of legal status into the US. You should be able to plead your case. They are basically looking for the same signs as every other consulate. "Is this person going to leave our country".  But it's not the first time an government employee has made a mistake reading the rules. If the trip is business related, and you are an employee, you might be able to let your employer worry about it.

EAD/AP Is not proof of legal status. 

8 hours ago, geowrian said:

Just to re-iterate, the OP does not have legal status in the US. They have an authorized stay while their case is pending. They are considered lawfully present.

There is a difference. Maybe that matters to them or not...I don't know their visa rules.

Yes, it matters, it says on the website they need to be a US citizen or green card holder. 

11 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

Their rules are the same as for all the other Shengen countries, Approve if you are able to verify the applicant is not looking for temporary admittance and will most leave in time. The list of documents they can use includes AP and EAD, it makes it possible for them to return you at the border.

Can you point to where it says this officially? I am not sure where to find proper official info but everything I found says if applying from the US you need to show proof of residence, either as green card holder or temporary resident visa (H, student visa etc). We looked into visiting Europe this summer (also on passport that requires shengen) and  that was the info we found. 

AP does show intent to return but from what I have been able to find this is not sufficient for issuance of a schengen visa from here.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.