16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, 

My fiance received an RFE letter in the mail after 5 months. Before the letter was delivered we were speculating that the RFE might be about the case of my fiance that happened 20 years ago where he plead guilty to a case of groping a minor. Luckily, it was that (the USCIS had asked for me to submit my letter of intent to marry my fiance), my fiance gladly complied and mailed the letter the next day. My question is, does the USCIS normally sent all RFEs at once and if they are satisfied with the letter of intent to marry that we mailed thats it? That we only need to wait for their confirmation? Or will there be another RFE that might be mailed later on which might be related to my fiance case history 20 years ago? It wasn't a rape or physical abuse but groping and all his records were deleted. Please enlighten me as everyday that we are waiting for the update from the USCIS is putting a lot of stress on me and my fiance. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Jo C said:

Hi, 

My fiance received an RFE letter in the mail after 5 months. Before the letter was delivered we were speculating that the RFE might be about the case of my fiance that happened 20 years ago where he plead guilty to a case of groping a minor. Luckily, it was that (the USCIS had asked for me to submit my letter of intent to marry my fiance), my fiance gladly complied and mailed the letter the next day. My question is, does the USCIS normally sent all RFEs at once and if they are satisfied with the letter of intent to marry that we mailed thats it? That we only need to wait for their confirmation? Or will there be another RFE that might be mailed later on which might be related to my fiance case history 20 years ago? It wasn't a rape or physical abuse but groping and all his records were deleted. Please enlighten me as everyday that we are waiting for the update from the USCIS is putting a lot of stress on me and my fiance. Thank you.

Was the charge disclosed in your petition, and all of the related paperwork included?  Records are never "deleted."

I have seen cases of multiple RFEs here, although it is not common.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Was the charge disclosed in your petition, and all of the related paperwork included?  Records are never "deleted."

Yes, with all honesty, my fiance mentioned it in the form. He only got the receipts that he did perform some community service and seek professional help. He called the clinic where he did his professional counseling and the court where his case was handled he was told the records are deleted that he is clean and all. I argued with him about this that records cannot just be deleted but everything was deleted.

Edited by Jo C

1 minute ago, Jo C said:

Yes, with all honesty, my fiance mentioned it in the form.

That's good.  I would guess that you're fine then.  You may expect to be questioned about it at the interview, as they will want to confirm that you're aware of the charge.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

That's good.  I would guess that you're fine then.  You may expect to be questioned about it at the interview, as they will want to confirm that you're aware of the charge.

Yes, thank you. I'm well-prepared with whatever they ask me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 1/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, Pinkrlion said:

You can get a RFE multiple times until your case is approved, if u filed prior to policy change.

We filed 15th of August last year. Me and my fiance aren't aware of this policy change. Do you know a case like ours where the first RFE wasn't related to my fiance's case and received another RFE later that correlates with the case? If my fiance's case is an issue, I don't understand why no further evidence was asked when USCIS sent us this letter. I also would like to add that my fiance wasn't registered and it was his first time in the Philippines and never had an issue with the Embassy. Do you think because the weight of his case (of groping someone) wasn't as grave as someone committing rape or sexual abuse? It worries me so much that this might be an issue later on. 

Timeline
On 1/28/2019 at 9:30 AM, Love To Teach said:

Records are never totally expunged. USCIS can get to them. I know somebody that this happened to.

Oh :(

If USCIS will look into the case, I hope they will see that groping someone, which was what my fiance had plead to 20 years ago, is in no possible way gonna harm me. Is that somebody you know had the same case as my fiance's? Did that person get declined because he couldn't provide additional proof that he is cleared from the charges? I'm becoming paranoid everyday thinking about this. Being far from from the man you love most is not easy and this is our only hope.

7 hours ago, Jo C said:

If USCIS will look into the case, I hope they will see that groping someone, which was what my fiance had plead to 20 years ago, is in no possible way gonna harm me. 

The thing is you say he groped a minor and that is most likely falling under AWA. The difference between what he pled to and what he was charged with could also factor into this - what was he charged with? Does he show remorse or is he doing as you are and saying oh well I only groped them. This could play into it especially if it was determined that it does fall under AWA. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/30/2019 at 1:00 AM, Illiria said:

The thing is you say he groped a minor and that is most likely falling under AWA. The difference between what he pled to and what he was charged with could also factor into this - what was he charged with? Does he show remorse or is he doing as you are and saying oh well I only groped them. This could play into it especially if it was determined that it does fall under AWA. 

All is well! Our case has been approved finally! We are just waiting for NVC to send us our letter of invitation so I can file for the Visa in my country's US consulate. Thank you everyone for your insights and encouragement!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, Jorgedig said:

Did you  get your NVC form after you  submitted  RFE?  I am asking  as on file it says Form I-129F  was approved and approval noticed was mailed, but months later we still dind't get anything. I

am in canada

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, Jorgedig said:

Did you  check the status of your file on https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/

It will say there if it was processed.

Timeline

It was said in the letter of approval notice from USCIS that we will receive the letter from NVC with our case number in it that I will need in order to file for DS160 form in the US consulate in my country within 2-4 weeks from approval date. It's not two weeks yet. So we are still waiting. They have instructions in the approval letter of what to do next if letter wasn't receive after 30 days. You can re-read the letter. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.