SelAli711

What does a completed I-130 Packet look like?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi All!

My husband Vincent and I got married in 2016 in Accra after a denied K1.  I've done A LOT of traveling back and forth to Ghana over the past couple of years, and we're now trying to get pregnant, so it's past time that we begin our "VisaJourney" again--this time with a spousal visa petition.

The K1 was denied because they believed our relationship wasn't bona fide.  In my last petition, I sent in the bare minimum of what was needed, and then worked really hard on making sure Vincent was ready for the interview with the photos, chats, etc.  That obviously didn't work for whatever reason, so this time I'm wanting to front-load and see if that helps any.

I have a flimsy 3-ring notebook that is organized into 5 sections:

1.  Essentials--cover letter, money order, G-1145, and I-130

2.  Petitioner/Beneficiary Documents--copy of my passport, two passport photos of me, I-130A, passport photos for Vincent, marriage certificate

3.  Whatsapp Chats--I plan on picking 3 conversations from each month, for as far as I can go back

4.  Photos--I have about 200 photos of before we were married, our marriage ceremony, and us traveling around Ghana with both mine and his family

5.  Witness Statements--Notarized statements from my sister and 4 friends here in the US that have either met Vincent in person, or have at least talked to him on the phone

Does this look okay?  Anything else you think I should add, like financial documents?  We don't own any property together and our finances aren't really mingled like they would be if we actually lived together.  Should I add in my personal income stuff to the front-load?  I make the 125% above the poverty level required and I read on VJ that NVC will send a letter to me requesting this info, but not sure if I should go ahead and add it in since, well, it's Ghana...

Thanks for all the posts and everyone's help!  This forum was great in the past and can't wait to be involved again!

--Ali

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

First off, I am sorry you have to go through this. Our K1 was denied in 2015. We started over with the CR1 and he’s now been here almost 2 years. 

I would recommend sending in proof of your trips to Ghana. You mentioned photos which are great, but you should also include copies of your passport stamps, airline tickets and receipts, hotel receipts (if you stayed in one) and any receipts you may have from activities together. To this embassy, time spent together is the golden evidence. 

With your photos, you probably don’t need to send that many. Try to pick about 7-10 from each trip that show you two in different locations, with different people and on different days. Don’t fill the packet with tight selfies that don’t show any kind of scenery. I would also included may 10-12 from your wedding. 

If you look look at my timeline and the review I wrote after our CR-1 interview, you can see a list of all the evidence I submitted at each phase of the process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Financial documents carry a lot of weight if it shows co-mingling. Our case had "red flags" and I front loaded it with everything: added him to my bank account (it was hard but I just had to keep calling the bank over and over until we managed it), my husband even made a will listing me as the beneficiary of the property he owns. I changed my last name immediately after the wedding, I got a new passport and SSN did all that too because I wanted to show that we're a real couple.

I agree with @O&GForever, proof of travel together is strong. I scanned all of our passport pages showing that we had stamps from the same place/day. I've heard also any other travel proof such as tickets or hotels or anything that might potentially have both names on it helps.

I've heard that notarized statements carry very little weight. I'm not sure how helpful they would be, but probably better to include them than not at all.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Streamline the photos -- choose a smaller selection of pictures from different trips, and focus on ones that show the two of you together with members of his family. Family members co-mingling at your wedding is great, if possible. Agree with the above, that hard evidence of travel together (hotel bookings, itineraries, tickets/stamps) is stronger than just photos. 

The best bonafide marriage evidence is definitely financial co-mingling. Adding him as an authorized user on a credit card, adding him to an account, making him a beneficiary on your work benefits, etc. It might be tough with him not in the US yet, but definitely work on building up those ties. 

Not quite sure I understand how you're putting together your package (whether it's with a notebook or a binder), but all you really need to do is clip evidence together with fasteners or binder clips. Make it as easy as possible for the IO to take it apart to review it. 

Removal of Conditions

02/08/2021 — Received hard copy Reminder to File Form I-751 in mail (Notice Date: 02/04/2021, Priority Date: 02/03/2021) 

02/28/2021 — ROC window opens

05/05/2021 — Mailed ROC package (I-751) to Phoenix Lockbox

05/07/2021 [Day 1] — ROC package received at Phoenix Lockbox

05/21/2021 [Day 14] — Check for $680 cashed

05/24/2021 [Day 17] — Text notification received & hard copy NOA1 in mail from Vermont Service Center (Received Date: 05/07/2021, Notice Date: 05/20/2021)

06/01/2021 [Day 25] — Case updated to show fingerprints were taken

06/05/2021 [Day 29] — Hard copy biometrics waiver received in mail (Notice Date: 06/01/2021)

11/08/2021 [Day 185] — Hard copy NOA1 received in mail to extend validity from 18 months to 24 months (Notice Date: 11/01/2021)

12/10/2022 [Day 582] — New card is being produced

12/13/2022 [Day 585] — Case was approved 

12/17/2022 [Day 589] — Hard copy approval notice received in mail (Notice Date: 12/10/2022) and green card mailed

12/21/2022 [Day 593] — 10-year green card received 

Adjustment of Status

07/07/2018 -- Married

12/01/2018 -- Mailed AOS package (I-130/I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) to Chicago Lockbox

12/03/2018 [Day 1] — AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox

12/21/2018 [Day 18] — Biometrics notice received

01/02/2019 [Day 30] — Biometrics completed 

02/13/2019 [Day 72] — Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

03/22/2019 [Day 109] — EAD/AP approved

03/29/2019 [Day 116] — EAD/AP combo card received

04/10/2019 [Day 128] — Interview was scheduled

05/21/2019 [Day 169] — AOS interview (approval pending review)

05/29/2019 [Day 177] — Case approved/new card is being produced

06/05/2019 [Day 184] — Green card received 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-3 Process forum to the CR-1 Process forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Great, thanks everyone!

The financial stuff is hard. I bank at a State Employee credit union and any person I add has to actually come in the office. I’ve got insurance of course, but don’t have a life insurance policy or anything (I’m 27 and just haven’t really thought much about it—I can work on that though). I did add him to my credit card, but AMEX threw him off when they realized he didn’t have a SSN.  Looks like I need to dig up some Airbnb receipts, but even those would probably just have my name on them since I’m the one with the card 😱

Timeline

U dont need 200 photos..i sent in appox 50 from each trip (been there 3 times)

I had joint bank account info (his bank in Ghana allowed me to be added to his account)

hotel/wedding receipts

added to life and non driver on car insurance

added as authorized user on my credit cards

affidavit of support from my mom and brother letters

screenshots of him talking to my children and family

messages between him and my family and vice versa

airline tickets passport stamps

copies of his FB pages indicating me on his social media

phone records and FB chats from the time we first met ( I did 3 chats per month from the time we met...beginning, middle, and end of the month)

Edited by Mrsamoah2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Add each other to your financial and legal documents like any normal married couple would, as beneficiaries on each other's insurance and retirement accounts/investments, named in each other's wills, living will, memberships like Costco, AAA, health insurance coverage together.  Lots of good ideas if you search here on VJ for previous posts on this same topic.  Also you can side-load at the NVC stage with evidence of additional visits to be together after filing the I-130, plus new evidence of financial co-mingling like tax returns showing married filing jointly (lots of recent posts on how to do this), transactions from a joint bank account,  utility bills in both names at your US address (easy to add him with a phone call to the utility company).  Good luck with the process, hopefully it will go smoothly.

23 hours ago, SelAli711 said:

Hi All!

My husband Vincent and I got married in 2016 in Accra after a denied K1.  I've done A LOT of traveling back and forth to Ghana over the past couple of years, and we're now trying to get pregnant, so it's past time that we begin our "VisaJourney" again--this time with a spousal visa petition.

The K1 was denied because they believed our relationship wasn't bona fide.  In my last petition, I sent in the bare minimum of what was needed, and then worked really hard on making sure Vincent was ready for the interview with the photos, chats, etc.  That obviously didn't work for whatever reason, so this time I'm wanting to front-load and see if that helps any.

I have a flimsy 3-ring notebook that is organized into 5 sections:

1.  Essentials--cover letter, money order, G-1145, and I-130

2.  Petitioner/Beneficiary Documents--copy of my passport, two passport photos of me, I-130A, passport photos for Vincent, marriage certificate

3.  Whatsapp Chats--I plan on picking 3 conversations from each month, for as far as I can go back

4.  Photos--I have about 200 photos of before we were married, our marriage ceremony, and us traveling around Ghana with both mine and his family

5.  Witness Statements--Notarized statements from my sister and 4 friends here in the US that have either met Vincent in person, or have at least talked to him on the phone

Does this look okay?  Anything else you think I should add, like financial documents?  We don't own any property together and our finances aren't really mingled like they would be if we actually lived together.  Should I add in my personal income stuff to the front-load?  I make the 125% above the poverty level required and I read on VJ that NVC will send a letter to me requesting this info, but not sure if I should go ahead and add it in since, well, it's Ghana...

Thanks for all the posts and everyone's help!  This forum was great in the past and can't wait to be involved again!

--Ali

Get rid of the binder.  They don't want anything in binders or stapled

1) I would say the I-130A would fall under this category

2) don't need passport photos of the beneficiary of this time

3) sure 

4) 200 photos is overloading.  Pick a selection that show the duration of your relationship, marriage, and time with family.  Print up to 6 per page of letter sized paper.  Date and say who's in them. 

5) meeting on the phone doesn't matter.  Don't bother.

YOu need to provide evidence you've spent time with each other.  Boarding passes, passport stamps showing you've visited.  Add him to your car insurance.  Make him the beneficiary of a 401k if possible  or life insurance.  Make a will or living will.  Next time you visit him, open a bank account with him.   File taxes jointly this year if you feel okay with his passport and sending a w7 (you can use this for side loading at the NVC.)    the I-864 will come into play at the NVC and you can add more relationship evidence at that time.  Front loading is about RELATIONSHIP evidence.  You need to send everything that shows you're in a genuine relationship to someone who doesn't think you are.  Quality over quantity however.  Honestly the best thing you have going for you is multiple visits and you need to highlight that time spent together. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.