Banana9ieue

K1 visa interview RFEs (Referral for Evidence) (merged)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

K1 visa:

My fiancee is unable to file taxes. He doesn't have anyone in his family suitable to be a co-sponsor for our K1 visa. When he completes the Affadavit of Support will having his friend, and not a close relative as the co-sponsor mean that I won't get my visa?

I will be going to the London U.S. Embassy for my interview.

Please help! Very worried.

Timeline
On 8/23/2018 at 9:35 AM, ScorpionArcher said:

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are looking at finally closing the gap and applying for the K1 visa so I can be with him.

He is currently unemployed though. He has a best friend that he has known for 20+ years that makes way over the 125% required (he makes around 40k each year). This friend has agreed to be the co sponsor for us.

My only question is will this really affect my chances of being approved? Should I just wait until my partner has a job?

I read a post about someone going to Sydney consulate (about 6 years ago) and they got denied for K1 because they used a friend as a co sponsor. They were told that it had to be a family member, that a friend couldn't be relied on etc.

I'm just wondering how likely it would be for me to get denied and if anyone else has had experience in going through Sydney with their partner's friend as their co sponsor. I'm so worried that if I apply now it will just lead to denial and be a big waste of time :(

How did this work out for you? I'm in the same situation!

Timeline
On 8/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, LeesaMarie said:

I appreciate all consulates are different, but at London, the CO said they are less concerned about the I-134 with K1's, as you go through this in more detail for the AOS process after you're married to get your green card, at which point if I've read everything correctly you'll need 3 years worth of Tax returns. Someone please correct me if that's wrong though! :) 

Hi! Where dis you find the information about the London Embassy being less concerned with the I-134? I'm in a difficult situation as my fiancee only has a friend who can be a co-sponsor. Thank you heaps in advance! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ella and James said:

Hi! Where dis you find the information about the London Embassy being less concerned with the I-134? I'm in a difficult situation as my fiancee only has a friend who can be a co-sponsor. Thank you heaps in advance! 

This is what the officer told me at the embassy when I went for my interview. 

edit: however I'm guessing if you are using a cosponsor they may be more vigilant 

Edited by LeesaMarie

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Why is he “unable” to file taxes? It’s a legal requirement unless he earns less than $10,400 a year. And if he does, one wonders how on earth he will support you and pay all your AOS fees in the months and months you will be unable to work.

Any USC or LPR over 18 with sufficient income or assets and who lives in the USA can be a sponsor. Although it may raise some eyebrows as to why he has no family willing to help and whether they even know about the relationship. 

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why is he “unable” to file taxes? It’s a legal requirement unless he earns less than $10,400 a year. And if he does, one wonders how on earth he will support you and pay all your AOS fees in the months and months you will be unable to work.

Any USC or LPR over 18 with sufficient income or assets and who lives in the USA can be a sponsor. Although it may raise some eyebrows as to why he has no family willing to help and whether they even know about the relationship. 

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~

Yes his parents and all of his immediate relatives know about our relationship, most of them are excited for us to get married. However they don't have the financial means to cover both of us as they have their own children and families or they just don't have a steady job or get paid enough.

1 minute ago, Ella and James said:

Yes his parents and all of his immediate relatives know about our relationship, most of them are excited for us to get married. However they don't have the financial means to cover both of us as they have their own children and families or they just don't have a steady job or get paid enough.

The big question is why he is “unable” to file taxes. Is he on life support in a hospital?

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

I'm going to the London Embassy for an interview and wonder if the financial requirements aren't met, will they ask for another co-sponsor? Can I ask them to give me an RFE and I can go and collect the evidence? After that do I go back for another interview?

1 hour ago, Ella and James said:

K1 visa:

My fiancee is unable to file taxes. He doesn't have anyone in his family suitable to be a co-sponsor for our K1 visa. When he completes the Affadavit of Support will having his friend, and not a close relative as the co-sponsor mean that I won't get my visa?

I will be going to the London U.S. Embassy for my interview.

Please help! Very worried.

Go to the UK or England in the Regional Section and ask your questions

They will provide you with the correct answer

Here is a link:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ella and James said:

I don't think that he earned enough to.

It takes money to live, and money to support an immigrant.........there is no way around it.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

43 minutes ago, Ella and James said:

I don't think that he earned enough to.

He earned less than $10,400? How is going to support you? What are you doing for healthcare? A spousal visa would have been better because at least you could work right away and not have to pay hefty AOS fees. I don’t know where he lived but here in western Washington you can’t keep a goldfish on $10,400 a year, let alone 2 adults. 

London permits self-sponsoring for the I-134. Do you have sufficient savings or assets?

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
49 minutes ago, JFH said:

He earned less than $10,400? How is going to support you? What are you doing for healthcare? A spousal visa would have been better because at least you could work right away and not have to pay hefty AOS fees. I don’t know where he lived but here in western Washington you can’t keep a goldfish on $10,400 a year, let alone 2 adults. 

London permits self-sponsoring for the I-134. Do you have sufficient savings or assets?

Really? London does that? Yes! I have almost £20,000 in savings. I have a bachelors degree in Fashion too.

Edited by Ella and James

1 minute ago, Ella and James said:

Really? London does that? Yes! I have almost £20,000 in savings. I have a bachelors degree in Fashion too.

Qualifications mean nothing. Especially as you can’t work for several months when you get here anyway.

It’s money they want to see. From your history you only recently got the NOA1 so you have a long wait ahead of you before you need an I-134. In the meantime, your fiancé needs to sort out his tax situation and file back tax returns and then look at getting a job that can support the two of you. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.