Jump to content
Ella and James

K1 visa interview RFEs (Referral for Evidence) (merged)

39 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

K1 visa:

My fiancee is unable to file taxes. He doesn't have anyone in his family suitable to be a co-sponsor for our K1 visa. When he completes the Affadavit of Support will having his friend, and not a close relative as the co-sponsor mean that I won't get my visa?

I will be going to the London U.S. Embassy for my interview.

Please help! Very worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 9:35 AM, ScorpionArcher said:

Hi everyone!

 

My partner and I are looking at finally closing the gap and applying for the K1 visa so I can be with him.

 

He is currently unemployed though. He has a best friend that he has known for 20+ years that makes way over the 125% required (he makes around 40k each year). This friend has agreed to be the co sponsor for us.

 

My only question is will this really affect my chances of being approved? Should I just wait until my partner has a job?

 

I read a post about someone going to Sydney consulate (about 6 years ago) and they got denied for K1 because they used a friend as a co sponsor. They were told that it had to be a family member, that a friend couldn't be relied on etc.

 

I'm just wondering how likely it would be for me to get denied and if anyone else has had experience in going through Sydney with their partner's friend as their co sponsor. I'm so worried that if I apply now it will just lead to denial and be a big waste of time :(

How did this work out for you? I'm in the same situation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, LeesaMarie said:

I appreciate all consulates are different, but at London, the CO said they are less concerned about the I-134 with K1's, as you go through this in more detail for the AOS process after you're married to get your green card, at which point if I've read everything correctly you'll need 3 years worth of Tax returns. Someone please correct me if that's wrong though! :) 

Hi! Where dis you find the information about the London Embassy being less concerned with the I-134? I'm in a difficult situation as my fiancee only has a friend who can be a co-sponsor. Thank you heaps in advance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ella and James said:

Hi! Where dis you find the information about the London Embassy being less concerned with the I-134? I'm in a difficult situation as my fiancee only has a friend who can be a co-sponsor. Thank you heaps in advance! 

This is what the officer told me at the embassy when I went for my interview. 

 

edit: however I'm guessing if you are using a cosponsor they may be more vigilant 

Edited by LeesaMarie

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

 

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is he “unable” to file taxes? It’s a legal requirement unless he earns less than $10,400 a year. And if he does, one wonders how on earth he will support you and pay all your AOS fees in the months and months you will be unable to work.

 

Any USC or LPR over 18 with sufficient income or assets and who lives in the USA can be a sponsor. Although it may raise some eyebrows as to why he has no family willing to help and whether they even know about the relationship. 

 

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*


 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why is he “unable” to file taxes? It’s a legal requirement unless he earns less than $10,400 a year. And if he does, one wonders how on earth he will support you and pay all your AOS fees in the months and months you will be unable to work.

 

Any USC or LPR over 18 with sufficient income or assets and who lives in the USA can be a sponsor. Although it may raise some eyebrows as to why he has no family willing to help and whether they even know about the relationship. 

 

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~

Yes his parents and all of his immediate relatives know about our relationship, most of them are excited for us to get married. However they don't have the financial means to cover both of us as they have their own children and families or they just don't have a steady job or get paid enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ella and James said:

Yes his parents and all of his immediate relatives know about our relationship, most of them are excited for us to get married. However they don't have the financial means to cover both of us as they have their own children and families or they just don't have a steady job or get paid enough.

The big question is why he is “unable” to file taxes. Is he on life support in a hospital?


 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ella and James said:

K1 visa:

My fiancee is unable to file taxes. He doesn't have anyone in his family suitable to be a co-sponsor for our K1 visa. When he completes the Affadavit of Support will having his friend, and not a close relative as the co-sponsor mean that I won't get my visa?

I will be going to the London U.S. Embassy for my interview.

Please help! Very worried.

Go to the UK or England in the Regional Section and ask your questions

 

They will provide you with the correct answer

 

Here is a link:

 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ella and James said:

I don't think that he earned enough to.

It takes money to live, and money to support an immigrant.........there is no way around it.


"Experience can be a tough teacher to those who fail to heed good advice"- Missileman, 12/6/18

"Only a fool would fail to heed the advice of someone who has walked in his shoes"- Missileman, 2/8/19

"What I am to be, I am NOW becoming"- Benjamin Franklin

First career- 20 year Retired E-8, USAF Missileer,

Second career-Retired Registered Nurse, experience in Labor& Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent & Adult Psych

Third career-Retired IT Developer & Database Administrator for surgical services dept.

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ella and James said:

I don't think that he earned enough to.

He earned less than $10,400? How is going to support you? What are you doing for healthcare? A spousal visa would have been better because at least you could work right away and not have to pay hefty AOS fees. I don’t know where he lived but here in western Washington you can’t keep a goldfish on $10,400 a year, let alone 2 adults. 

 

London permits self-sponsoring for the I-134. Do you have sufficient savings or assets?


 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JFH said:

He earned less than $10,400? How is going to support you? What are you doing for healthcare? A spousal visa would have been better because at least you could work right away and not have to pay hefty AOS fees. I don’t know where he lived but here in western Washington you can’t keep a goldfish on $10,400 a year, let alone 2 adults. 

 

London permits self-sponsoring for the I-134. Do you have sufficient savings or assets?

Really? London does that? Yes! I have almost £20,000 in savings. I have a bachelors degree in Fashion too.

Edited by Ella and James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ella and James said:

Really? London does that? Yes! I have almost £20,000 in savings. I have a bachelors degree in Fashion too.

Qualifications mean nothing. Especially as you can’t work for several months when you get here anyway.

 

It’s money they want to see. From your history you only recently got the NOA1 so you have a long wait ahead of you before you need an I-134. In the meantime, your fiancé needs to sort out his tax situation and file back tax returns and then look at getting a job that can support the two of you. 


 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×