NLZZLN

Filing lawsuit against the embassy and Uscis

115 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ron12345 said:

Oh yea, what specifically did they do for you? Please expand. 

I contacted my local office for help with in hours of my senators office sending the email he was called to turn back his passport, you will call it a coincidence, and with your small few posts I would say your the argumentative type.

Plz stop telling people Senators will not help, they have helped plenty.

where ever you are in your journey I wish you luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, so sorry this is happening to you and I wish you all the blessings of God in resolving it soon.  It was not clear from your posts when you submitted the DS-5535.  Was it in February 2018?  If so, it has not even been one year of waiting, and DS-5535 has a lot of information that takes time to investigate, depending on the circumstances of your case.  DS-5535s are recent, but those I have seen here on VJ, from actual cases, have taken a very long time to resolve, often more than one year.  So you could just wait until February when AP has been in process for a year after DS 5535, then move forward with a lawsuit if you choose to and have the cash to fight it with a good attorney who has experience with this type of case.  At least you are living in the UAE with your husband.  That is a great blessing that most of us do not enjoy.  Count yourself lucky in that regard.  You are together during the long wait and others wait years living apart.

Just now, Khallaf said:

I contacted my local office for help with in hours of my senators office sending the email he was called to turn back his passport, you will call it a coincidence, and with your small few posts I would say your the argumentative type.

Plz stop telling people Senators will not help, they have helped plenty.

where ever you are in your journey I wish you luck. 

Not argumentative. I deal in facts. Sounds like the AP was completed and the embassy had not bothered to contact you.

I do have personal experience where the congressional office helped me, but they cannot expedite AP. I presume in a life or death situation, they will become more involved. 

8 minutes ago, Kastrs said:

Ron, You have made several comments on this thread that would lead one to believe you must have some special knowledge or experience with WoM

Perhaps you could share the source of your special knowledge or share your personal experience so that we might all be better informed

At a minimum, let's just say that I have spoken with attorneys who file these regularly. I dont want to expand beyond that at this time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ron12345 said:

Not argumentative. I deal in facts. Sounds like the AP was completed and the embassy had not bothered to contact you.

I do have personal experience where the congressional office helped me, but they cannot expedite AP. I presume in a life or death situation, they will become more involved. 

again like I said you will see it as coincidental, up until the day of the email it sat in AP, had it been done before they got the email from Senators office, it would have changed.

1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

again like I said you will see it as coincidental, up until the day of the email it sat in AP, had it been done before they got the email from Senators office, it would have changed.

Every single senate office will tell you that they cant do anything about cases stuck in AP. I know that because I've spoken to my senators offices and been told those exact words. They placed an inquiry for you. Evidently the inquiry made the embassy realize that your case was ready. Or it was a total coincidence. 

2 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Multiple people have stated, again and again, that the concern with taking this route is that forcing the embassy to make a decision before a conclusive background check has been completed, as REQUIRED, will result in a denial. They will not approve a case that has not been properly security checked. Can we say that is the case with the OP? Of course not. Neither can you. Hence, why it's continuously referred to as a risky CHANCE. As in, POSSIBILITY. And a pretty big possibility, in my opinion.

It would be illegal to deny a case because the govt has not completed its own security processing. They would be sued. They must provide a legal reason for denial. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
Just now, Ron12345 said:

It would be illegal to deny a case because the govt has not completed its own security processing. They would be sued. They must provide a legal reason for denial. 

I think that's the point being made, though - they aren't going to approve a case that has not been security checked/processed. A case that has NOT been checked, per due diligence, could be subject to denial, no?

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

17 hours ago, Ron12345 said:

This is wildly inaccurate. If it's stuck in security checks, they will expedite the security checks. They can only deny the visa for a legal reason. 

My advice to the OP is to speak to an attorney who specializes in WOM.

They cannot force an external agency to speed up. If the security checks are stuck with an overseas authority, it takes as long as it takes. For example, it they are waiting for a security check from another country because the applicant had travelled to it lived in that country, the writ of mandamus is not going to make that go faster. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

14 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

OP, so sorry this is happening to you and I wish you all the blessings of God in resolving it soon.  It was not clear from your posts when you submitted the DS-5535.  Was it in February 2018?  If so, it has not even been one year of waiting, and DS-5535 has a lot of information that takes time to investigate, depending on the circumstances of your case.  DS-5535s are recent, but those I have seen here on VJ, from actual cases, have taken a very long time to resolve, often more than one year.  So you could just wait until February when AP has been in process for a year after DS 5535, then move forward with a lawsuit if you choose to and have the cash to fight it with a good attorney who has experience with this type of case.  At least you are living in the UAE with your husband.  That is a great blessing that most of us do not enjoy.  Count yourself lucky in that regard.  You are together during the long wait and others wait years living apart.

Yes thank god for this that im living with him. I submited ds5535 in november and they told me they didnt recieve it for 3 months i was just sitting and waiting for them to do something about my case then feb when i sent new affidavit of support to add my daughter n follow up on the status they said they didnt get my email which is really sad. 3 months were wasted for nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Ron12345 said:

But if it’s an overseas agency holding up the process? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I think that's the point being made, though - they aren't going to approve a case that has not been security checked/processed. A case that has NOT been checked, per due diligence, could be subject to denial, no?

They cannot deny because they have not completed their own DD. That's illegal. They could deny if you have known ties to terrorism for example. 

What will happen is that they complete their processing. This can be done very, very quickly if they request that it be done so. They very rarely fight these case because the US Attorney's office has limited resources. If someone files mandamus after 1 month, they may fight. If someone has serious issues in their background, they may fight. Otherwise, it's extremely unusual that they fight. Take a look at Pacer and research actual cases. The vast, vast majority say "dismissed by plantiff". It means that the visa was issued. People are far too conservative when it comes to mandamus.

I would be hesitant to file if:

1. Cant afford legal fees

2. Have background issues (you maybe more under the microscope)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.