1,198 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Murphsegj said:

Update at the infopass appointment. They stuck the I-751 package in the back office and havent even looked at it.

I have never heard of USCIS admitting they stuck files in the back office and not look at them. Did they tell you this?  Also, I have never heard of representatives stating they’re against (legal) immigration. Did they say this?  What state do you live in?  Good luck moving forward. 

21 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

I have never heard of USCIS admitting they stuck files in the back office and not look at them. Did they tell you this?  Also, I have never heard of representatives stating they’re against (legal) immigration. Did they say this?  What state do you live in?  Good luck moving forward. 

Yeah the infopass person dragged it out, then they had an impromptu meeting with the interviewer, who had our case in feb, behind closed doors and approved the case. Im just annoyed it took me 31 months and 140 days after the interview to convince them to do their job.

Not sure where they are against legal immigration part came in?

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 11:23 PM, lmladreno said:

Received my US passport. Finally !!!

Congratulations!  🎊 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just received notification that our i-751 interview has been scheduled and the letter is on the way.

Looking at the guides on this site... I see evidence required could include this:

1. A deed, showing co-ownership of your property or a lease agreement with both of your names on the
lease.
2. Utility bills, credit card bills, and other types of bills which have both of your names on them. Since many utilities will only put a bill in one person's name, some bills in one name and other bills at the same address but in the other spouse's name serve the same purpose: showing your financial & social lives intermingled.
3. Copies of actual credit cards, health insurance cards, or other "joint" cards that you have together,
showing same account number.
4. Car, health, or life insurance that has both of your names on the policy or the other spouse listed as the
beneficiary.
5. 401K or other retirement plan with spouse listed as beneficiary (right to survivorship is the technical term)
6. Bank or stock accounts with both of your names on them.
7. A copy of your joint federal and state tax returns (including W-2's and other applicable Schedules and attachments). Sending an official tax transcript from the IRS (for Federal) is beneficial and often preferred as it reflects what was actually filed.
8. A car title or other titles to property showing joint ownership with your spouse.
9. Birth certificate of any children that have been born to your marriage.
10. Documentation of any vacations that you have taken, including flight itineraries, hotel bills, pictures of you
together on vacation.
11. Other family pictures of you together.
12. Documentary proof showing evidence of your children together (Copy of Birth Certificate, photos, etc)
13. Copies of Christmas cards and other holiday cards addressed to you both

Is it wise to print out and bring every possible page we can... every month of bank and cc statements... every month of each utility bill etc?
Or just a selection from our time together?

Is there ANYTHING else that would be beneficial to bring?

What can we expect to happen at the interview?

Do they look through all this stuff?

What sort of questions get asked?

We just want to be as prepared as possible to get this done smoothly. So all advice gratefully received.

Thanks very much!!

*** N400 Citizenshi🇺🇸

Filed online: Apr 16, 2022

Interview APPROVED: Sep 28, 2022

Oath Ceremony: Sep 28, 2022

I-751 Green Card ROC

Mailed: Dec 6, 2018

Interview APPROVED: Oct 12, 2021 

EAD / AP / AOS

Filed at Chicago Lockbox: Mar 4, 2016

EAD and AP APPROVED: Apr 26, 2016

Green Card interview APPROVED: Dec 12, 2016

K1 - UK to USA

Proposed: Aug 7, 2015

Mailed I-129F: Aug 18, 2015

K1 visa APPROVED: Dec 2, 2015

P.O.E. @ Las Vegas: Jan 10, 2016

Elvis Wedding: Feb 19, 2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, Heather&Kevin said:

Just received notification that our i-751 interview has been scheduled and the letter is on the way.

Looking at the guides on this site... I see evidence required could include this:

1. A deed, showing co-ownership of your property or a lease agreement with both of your names on the
lease.
2. Utility bills, credit card bills, and other types of bills which have both of your names on them. Since many utilities will only put a bill in one person's name, some bills in one name and other bills at the same address but in the other spouse's name serve the same purpose: showing your financial & social lives intermingled.
3. Copies of actual credit cards, health insurance cards, or other "joint" cards that you have together,
showing same account number.
4. Car, health, or life insurance that has both of your names on the policy or the other spouse listed as the
beneficiary.
5. 401K or other retirement plan with spouse listed as beneficiary (right to survivorship is the technical term)
6. Bank or stock accounts with both of your names on them.
7. A copy of your joint federal and state tax returns (including W-2's and other applicable Schedules and attachments). Sending an official tax transcript from the IRS (for Federal) is beneficial and often preferred as it reflects what was actually filed.
8. A car title or other titles to property showing joint ownership with your spouse.
9. Birth certificate of any children that have been born to your marriage.
10. Documentation of any vacations that you have taken, including flight itineraries, hotel bills, pictures of you
together on vacation.
11. Other family pictures of you together.
12. Documentary proof showing evidence of your children together (Copy of Birth Certificate, photos, etc)
13. Copies of Christmas cards and other holiday cards addressed to you both

Is it wise to print out and bring every possible page we can... every month of bank and cc statements... every month of each utility bill etc?
Or just a selection from our time together?

Is there ANYTHING else that would be beneficial to bring?

What can we expect to happen at the interview?

Do they look through all this stuff?

What sort of questions get asked?

We just want to be as prepared as possible to get this done smoothly. So all advice gratefully received.

Thanks very much!!

EVERY page of the statements you decide to bring, but you don't need to bring all statements. I assume you already sent a ton of evidence with your application, so focus on the time from filing up until the interview date (ie stuff you haven't already sent). Bring statements from joint accounts and credit cards, about 4-5 statements from each year, ALL pages (they need the full statement to see that the account is actively used by both spouses, just both names on a statement doesn't prove co-mingled finances). 

Outside of evidence of a bonafide marriage, when dealing with USCIS you should always bring all important documents even if they may not ask for them - such as passports (both spouses), birth certificates (both spouses), greencard of course, SSN card, marriage certificate etc. They are likely not going to ask to see any of it, but if they for whatever reason want to, you have it with you and don't have to send anything in afterwards. 

I always have a small plastic folder with all those important documents (all my four passports, SSN card, marriage certificate etc, I think I even still have my old i-94 in there, haha). It doesn't cost anything to bring these extra documents, better safe than sorry. 

What happens at the interview is very different from office to office, IO to IO, applicant to applicant, so that's impossible to say. It seems fairly common that they don't ask to see hardly any evidence of a bonafide marriage at all if a lot was already sent with the actual application, but in some cases they do ask for it because it's been so long since filing (a lot can happen in 1-2 years). They will ask typical personal questions about you, your spouse and your relationship - such as birth dates, marriage date, address, possibly other things such as how you met, parents names, siblings and so on. Nothing difficult at all, stuff that everyone in a bonafide marriage will know.

Here's one of the latest success interviews from a VJ member. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks to you all - and best of luck with your next steps.

This morning we had our interview and after 50 minutes I was approved for my permanent green card, with no more conditions.

*** N400 Citizenshi🇺🇸

Filed online: Apr 16, 2022

Interview APPROVED: Sep 28, 2022

Oath Ceremony: Sep 28, 2022

I-751 Green Card ROC

Mailed: Dec 6, 2018

Interview APPROVED: Oct 12, 2021 

EAD / AP / AOS

Filed at Chicago Lockbox: Mar 4, 2016

EAD and AP APPROVED: Apr 26, 2016

Green Card interview APPROVED: Dec 12, 2016

K1 - UK to USA

Proposed: Aug 7, 2015

Mailed I-129F: Aug 18, 2015

K1 visa APPROVED: Dec 2, 2015

P.O.E. @ Las Vegas: Jan 10, 2016

Elvis Wedding: Feb 19, 2016

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Well hello everyone! It's been a while!

After nearly three years we finally have our interview date...We received a notification today that we will have our interview on November 23rd in Santa Ana, CA! 

We had actually had two interviews get cancelled right at the start of Covid and nothing since. A lot has changed since those cancelled interviews last year. We moved across state, bought a house and had a baby two weeks ago just shy of our 5 year anniversary!

That should help with our bonafides :) 

Detailed info: Filed December 18th 2018, California Center. Transferred to National Benefits Center. If you're still waiting, there is hope! 

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2015-10-21

Interview Date : 2016-03-21

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Issued(CEAC) : 2016-03-24

US Entry : 2016-08-13

(L)(F)Marriage :2016-08-18 (F)(L)

Adjustment of Status + Employment Authorization Document 

Date Filed : 2016-09-09

GC Received : 2017-03-02

Removal of Conditions(I-751)

Date Filed : 2018-11-14

NOA Date : 2018-11-18

Bio. Appt. : 2019-05-02

Notice of Transfer : 2020-01-31(CA to NBC)

Interview Ready to be Scheduled : 2020-02-20

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, Been a long time since I posted on here. I attended my I-751 Interview back in April after original interview scheduled for February was rescheduled. I received a G-56 form to appear at my local field office to meet with the same Officer from my interview. My wife and I are divorced so I had to file a waiver while awaiting an interview date, Just FYI.

REASON FOR APPOINTMENT: 2nd Form I-751 Interview

BRING WITH YOU: Passport(s), Government ID, Legal Permanent Resident Card

All I'm being asked to bring with me are my IDs, I was wondering if anyone has seen this before.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

We just finished our interview in Santa Ana, CA. The CO said everything was fairly straight forward. We received a continuance form for 120 before they will make a decision. The CO kept copies of our ids, social security cards, checking account statements for the last year, federal tax transcripts 2018, 2019, 2020. 

The questions were also pretty straight forward.

• When did you get married?
  • How many kids do you have?
  • Current address, previous addresses?
  • How did you communicate when you were dating?
  • Did you travel together while you were dating?
  • What has been the biggest adjustment moving to America?
  • What has been the biggest adjustment in married life? 
  • Did you accept your husbands religion? 
  • Explain how you use your checking account? We had to clarify whose paycheck belonged to whom. 
  • What is your mortgage payment every month? We had to point that out on the checking account statement. 
  • He asked about N400 and if we would be submitting that in the future. 

Overall a positive experience. We're definitely bummed that we weren't approved on the spot but now we have to continue waiting. After waiting 3 years for this interview, what's another 4 months....

K1 Visa

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We got a notification on our phone tonight that "new card is being produced"!!!!

We're incredibly thankful to be done with this phase and if you're still waiting, don't worry the approval will come for you too! On to N-400 next year!

K1 Visa

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to give an update in case there are still people waiting after having filed in 2018...Today after FOUR YEARS of waiting I finally received a notice that my I-751 with divorce waiver was APPROVED! I am incredibly grateful that the LONG WAIT is over and hopeful for those still waiting that an answer will come soon!!! Wishing you all the best!!!Approval.thumb.jpg.074542e9fce99550604962b88162878d.jpg

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.