butbut08

Reasons for Visa Denial? Cancer?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day to you all!

I would like to ask, my mother got diagnosed with lung cancer around 2 years ago, she refused treatment and opted herbal instead. We already done our medical, we are just waiting for the results of sputum test. Is having cancer will be a problem during our interview and may be a reason for Visa denial?

Thank you!

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It could be a problem.

If your mom is likely to be a public charge, her visa application can be denied.  A likely public charge is someone likely to use welfare.  They US Embassy may consider your mom to be a likely public charge because she would need to use Medicaid to treat her cancer.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Do you have insurance that will cover your mother's medical needs? It will likely cost a lot of money in the US

if you can get it at all....

if the cancer is in full remission (which if i remember right is 5 years after being medically cleared of ALL cancer growth and removal) and the sputnum test comes back clear, it will likely be fine.

if no to either, then I'd expect a denial

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I agree that cancer, in itself, is probably not a problem.  However, the public charge factor could be significant.......As a sponsor, you should be aware of the financial responsibilities you have as well as her well-being.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

More likely a money issue, show them how you will be funding her care.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

It could be a problem.

If your mom is likely to be a public charge, her visa application can be denied.  A likely public charge is someone likely to use welfare.  They US Embassy may consider your mom to be a likely public charge because she would need to use Medicaid to treat her cancer.  

What if it wasnt 100% sure it was cancer? Because all of her radiology reports were negative no malignant tumor found, she done per scans,  ct scans and blood test for cancer marker which was also negative. The only test that came positive was the histopathology done prior to all the radiology test, but the doctors was not 100% relying on the results, so thats why they’ve done ct scans and pet scans.

Thank you for respoding. We just really don’t know what we can do about this.

Timeline
1 minute ago, wellyellow said:

What if it wasnt 100% sure it was cancer? 

It doesn't matter.  Suspicion of becoming a public charge for ANY reason can cause a denial.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

if you can get it at all....

if the cancer is in full remission (which if i remember right is 5 years after being medically cleared of ALL cancer growth and removal) and the sputnum test comes back clear, it will likely be fine.

if no to either, then I'd expect a denial

It was 2016 when she got diagnosed... Only around 2 years? My mom really has a complicated case, they cannot find the main tumor or mass. Or they cannot assure us if it was really cancer. 😔

Timeline
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

It doesn't matter.  Suspicion of becoming a public charge for ANY reason can cause a denial.  

Her brother made an affidavit of support for her, how can we know that it is enough?

thank you for respoding.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, wellyellow said:

Her brother made an affidavit of support for her, how can we know that it is enough?

thank you for respoding.

The interviewing consulate officer makes that decision.  You might want to make sure she has adequate medical insurance before immigrating.....that applies to all immigrants.....

Timeline
8 minutes ago, missileman said:

The interviewing consulate officer makes that decision.  You might want to make sure she has adequate medical insurance before immigrating.....that applies to all immigrants.....

Thank you for your help. ❤️

Filed: Other Timeline
4 hours ago, wellyellow said:

thank you for respoding.

Ten years ago the nursing home care for my mother in the last stages of lung cancer was $12,000 per MONTH. All bills there were self pay.  We probably spent over $500,000 on her care over the years she had it. Since she would not qualify for Medicaid for 5 years, consider if you are able to care for a totally dependent, bedridden individual in your home 24/7/365.

Consider also finding the difficulty finding medical professionals to accept her as  a patient.  Why should they accept someone as a new patient who is unlikely to pay the deductibles and copays even with insurance

Edited by CEE53147

Whether she actually has cancer or not (I hope not!!!) doesn't matter. Cancer isn't a cause for  a denial. Needing care that one cannot afford is a problem. Having a suitable sponsor to mitigate that concern is necessary...nobody knows your specific circumstances to know if that will satisfy the CO or not.

31 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

Ten years ago the nursing home care for my mother in the last stages of lung cancer was $12,000 per MONTH. All bills there were self pay.  We probably spent over $500,000 on her care over the years she had it. Since she would not qualify for Medicaid for 5 years, consider if you are able to care for a totally dependent, bedridden individual in your home 24/7/365.

$180,000 over the last 2 weeks. ~$58,000 every 2 weeks.

$12,000 was a steal...which is absolutely insane.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.