Bjh

State of Intent to Marry in 90 days - if fiance isn't great at English?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Two questions here.

1. My fiance isn't great at English, but the i-129f requires that the Statement of Intent to Marry in 90 days should be in English, or at least have an English translation. I've explained to her in Portuguese what it is. Would immigration reject a statement from her in English if her English isn't very good? I don't plan on telling them about her English level.

2. Do I need to send immigration an official certified copy of my birth certificate issued from the government for citizenship proof? Or is a simple black and white photocopy ok?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Bjh said:

Two questions here.

1. My fiance isn't great at English, but the i-129f requires that the Statement of Intent to Marry in 90 days should be in English, or at least have an English translation. I've explained to her in Portuguese what it is. Would immigration reject a statement from her in English if her English isn't very good? I don't plan on telling them about her English level.

2. Do I need to send immigration an official certified copy of my birth certificate issued from the government for citizenship proof? Or is a simple black and white photocopy ok?

Thank you!

Download and fill this out: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance_Letter_of_Intent.doc This is what my fiance and I filled out for our letter of intent to marry. It was no problem.

Simple black and white copy it fine. Just make sure there is a front AND back of your birth certificate. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, britishandusa said:

Just make sure there is a front AND back of your birth certificate. 

Why?

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, payxibka said:

Why?

well, its a requirement. some countries have info on the back. i sent front and back even though there is no info on the back of either of ours.

10 hours ago, kris&me said:

Write it for her and have her sign and date it

i would not do that. she needs to write it, even if its a canned response, and then have a translated version.

They will know her english is not good the minute she gets to the consulate. in and of itself, thats not an issue

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
9 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

well, its a requirement. some countries have info on the back. i sent front and back even though there is no info on the back of either of ours.

Please show me this requirement as evidentiary requirements for the i129f are NOT country specific 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Please show me this requirement as evidentiary requirements for the i129f are NOT country specific 

look, its early and im grumpy. maybe it is or isnt a requirement and if people want to risk NOT sending in a copy of something and getting and RFE its no skin off my back. its not my petition. mine was approved. no RFEs. probably because i was overly cautious and had OCD over ####### like that and did MONTHS AND MONTHS of research and reading. I guarantee you, I saw something, be it a requirement or an RFE for someone to make me even think about copying the very empty back and sticking a note on it, saying it was the back of it.

it seems common sense if there IS writing on the back to make a copy. but common sense seems to be lacking for many.

as i said, i do not care one single bit if someones petition is approved or not. not my life and i dont even know them. but if something so simple can possibly PREVENT an RFE, why would you not do it?

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
57 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

look, its early and im grumpy. maybe it is or isnt a requirement and if people want to risk NOT sending in a copy of something and getting and RFE its no skin off my back. its not my petition. mine was approved. no RFEs. probably because i was overly cautious and had OCD over ####### like that and did MONTHS AND MONTHS of research and reading. I guarantee you, I saw something, be it a requirement or an RFE for someone to make me even think about copying the very empty back and sticking a note on it, saying it was the back of it.

it seems common sense if there IS writing on the back to make a copy. but common sense seems to be lacking for many.

as i said, i do not care one single bit if someones petition is approved or not. not my life and i dont even know them. but if something so simple can possibly PREVENT an RFE, why would you not do it?

You chose to respond to a question that was not posed to you.  You chose to say it was a requirement.   You did not understand that the question was referring to the USC birth certificate not the alien's.   The alien birth certificate is not a requirement for the petition (front or back).  I was simply trying to correct a falsehood and you chose to rant.  Nice.

YMMV

15 hours ago, Bjh said:

Two questions here.

Thank you!

Hello, 

1. My fiance is non English speaking. I typed the letter and had him sign/date it. 

2. As a Naturalized USC, I sent a B/W copy of my certification and all pages of my US passport. A friend who successfully completed process as a petitioner sent B/W copy of her BC and  all pages of passport.

Best wishes,

Catherine. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Catherine6 said:

Hello, 

1. My fiance is non English speaking. I typed the letter and had him sign/date it. 

2. As a Naturalized USC, I sent a B/W copy of my certification and all pages of my US passport. A friend who successfully completed process as a petitioner sent B/W copy of her BC and  all pages of passport.

Best wishes,

Catherine. 

All pages of the USC passport is outdated information.   This specific instruction has been eliminated in the most recent update 

YMMV

25 minutes ago, payxibka said:

All pages of the USC passport is outdated information.   This specific instruction has been eliminated in the most recent update 

The purpose was twofold: proof of citizenship and show the stamps of entry/exit the country of travel. 

Catherine. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Catherine6 said:

The purpose was twofold: proof of citizenship and show the stamps of entry/exit the country of travel. 

Catherine. 

Yes I understand,  I supplied the ID page and the one page showing the entry stamps(not all the pages).  Approved petition.  The instructions used to say ALL when using for entry proof.   No longer. 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make the letter for her, just make sure she understands what is on the letter.

Email it, have her print, sign, scan and email it back finished.

Then you print and put it with your application.

Don't worry about the English part, just keep talking to her and teaching her English and get her into any English speaking classes while she's waiting.

And Good Luck!

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Yes I understand,  I supplied the ID page and the one page showing the entry stamps(not all the pages).  Approved petition.  The instructions used to say ALL when using for entry proof.   No longer. 

7 trips in 13 months...stamps are scattered all over the passports. I even typed up a travel timeline and in parenthesis stated which pages to find the stamps corresponding to each trip.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Catherine6 said:

7 trips in 13 months...stamps are scattered all over the passports. I even typed up a travel timeline and in parenthesis stated which pages to find the stamps corresponding to each trip.

That's nice you did that, but they are really only interested in the last visit before you filed.

Your job when filing is to prove you have visited at least once in the last 2 years. That's it.

When the Beneficiary goes for interview, that's when the multiple visits to solidify the Relationship will be helpful.

Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.