Michael & Michele

Waiting for AOS and husband not contributing enough

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
19 hours ago, Michael & Michele said:

He allowed me to handle his paycheck and I was giving him spending money weekly and still paying ALL household expenses.

Were you saving when he was allowing you to handle his paycheck?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

On the plus side he has taken on 2 jobs. I've seen worse stories here where the immigrant comes here and plays video games all day and then expects more money from their spouse to send home to children and family members.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

finances are important in relationship. 50k in debt is also his debt he needs to understand its not just your debt. the debt will affect both of you not just him. you need financial counseling otherwise you marriage will go thru serious issues. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There have been many many similar threads in the PI forum, nothing new.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

OP, if you haven't already looked into this; I suggest using non-profit debt counseling company. They can help by providing the best options to ring in your debt. Whether it be filing for bankruptcy or providing a service in which you pay them and they forward the funds to the creditors for a minimal monthly fee (they work with the creditor to lower the interest rates). Be aware that these programs will have you cut the cord on your credit cards which is the reason folks get into these situation in the first place. They go over a budget plan with you for this reason.

https://www.nfcc.org/

In regards to your relationship, it always surprise when there's trouble brewing at the honeymoon stage of marriage life. Personally I missed those first 2 years, because our relationship is different once we had children. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but our priorities are different now with kids.

OP, I couldn't continue what you are doing as I would have so much resentment. I'm the only one working in my household, and it's not easy for a family of 4 but there's an understanding between my wife and I that funds are not limitless. Some cultures do feel the need to send remittance back to their home country, and that's something that needs to be addressed beforehand. I've said it before, but I could never date/marry anyone who does that and I'm not saying those who do it is right or wrong. I wish you the best of luck OP as no matter what decision you chose, it's not going to be easy. Hopefully your spouse understands this.

4 hours ago, Michelle M said:

Were you saving when he was allowing you to handle his paycheck?  

Yes but not enough for his liking.

23 hours ago, Michael & Michele said:

Yes but not enough for his liking.

Turn off the money faucet because he will never change.  You know in your heart what

to do.  Time to divorce and move on.

Edited by Mountain Climber

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.