Leeahh

Expedite- veteran

32 posts in this topic

My fiancé has submitted our petition for the k1 visa. Our NOA1 is September 27th. Now I have a bit more of a complicated case as the beneficiary and myself and my fiancé (US citizen) have been through quite a bit. .. Going forward, we are looking to expedite our case. I know there is criteria to which your case must follow under, but I do believe we have at least 2 of those to expedite by. My fiancé is a Marine and suffers severe PTSD/ depression. I know people will chime in and say that is not enough of a reason to expedite, but under certain circumstances, I do believe so... especially when self harm is coming into play and the support needed through those times. Obviously I will not share our personal lives on the matter, but things get very rough for us. I have been a huge role in his emotional, medical support. Now since I am in my country, its a different story. We used to live in the US together, prior to becoming engaged. I returned home, and he cannot be separated from me so has been visiting me for periods of time. With that being said, We are losing money. He is out of work, and we are paying for storage, utility bills, rent, car, etc. in the US as well as paying here in Canada. It is not affordable at all. He also lives in a very poor if not one of the poorest cities in the US.  He is losing out on work and cannot get the medical needs here in Canada from the VA for his issues. To live in Canada is VERY expensive and completely out of the picture. The dollar is also very weak right now, so bills are almost double. He has applied for a work visa, but to pay both here and there, its not realistic based on that alone.. Either way, we do not want him to lose out on benefits to be here with me but he is really not doing well with the separation.

I wanted to know a few experiences of others with something similar.. Is it reasonable to ask for an expedite?

What documents can we show to prove this?

Please do not comment anything negative... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Leeahh said:

My fiancé has submitted our petition for the k1 visa. Our NOA1 is September 27th. Now I have a bit more of a complicated case as the beneficiary and myself and my fiancé (US citizen) have been through quite a bit. .. Going forward, we are looking to expedite our case. I know there is criteria to which your case must follow under, but I do believe we have at least 2 of those to expedite by. My fiancé is a Marine and suffers severe PTSD/ depression. I know people will chime in and say that is not enough of a reason to expedite, but under certain circumstances, I do believe so... especially when self harm is coming into play and the support needed through those times. Obviously I will not share our personal lives on the matter, but things get very rough for us. I have been a huge role in his emotional, medical support. Now since I am in my country, its a different story. We used to live in the US together, prior to becoming engaged. I returned home, and he cannot be separated from me so has been visiting me for periods of time. With that being said, We are losing money. He is out of work, and we are paying for storage, utility bills, rent, car, etc. in the US as well as paying here in Canada. It is not affordable at all. He also lives in a very poor if not one of the poorest cities in the US.  He is losing out on work and cannot get the medical needs here in Canada from the VA for his issues. To live in Canada is VERY expensive and completely out of the picture. The dollar is also very weak right now, so bills are almost double. He has applied for a work visa, but to pay both here and there, its not realistic based on that alone.. Either way, we do not want him to lose out on benefits to be here with me but he is really not doing well with the separation.

I wanted to know a few experiences of others with something similar.. Is it reasonable to ask for an expedite?

What documents can we show to prove this?

Please do not comment anything negative... 

While you can try, it doesn't hurt, they may approve or deny.... but that being said, he does get free care from the VA... while, as a veteran myself, I honestly avoid the VA at all costs just because it's so slow...

But, as for the expense of traveling back and forth, that's kind of on you both... mean, is it "required" to travel back and forth? USCIS would most likely say no it isn't... so not sure financial loss, or where he chooses to live, ect, would be reason for expedite... sides, even if expedited, you can't work right away when you got here anyways... 

As for emotional support, again he has the VA, and unless you were some sort of professionally certified psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist or what ever, doubt they would go as far as to expedite for your emotional support.

Again though, you can try to expedite by all means, doesn't hurt to try at all. Has no negative effect on your case if denied so.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Even though I think you don't qualify under USCIS rules, it certainly does not do any harm to request expedite.  It will not delay your case, and USCIS does not charge a fee....good luck in your request.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

If you know the criteria you also know expediting is free. It won’t hurt to try, especially if you have proof of his health and financial situation. Petitioner calls, explain the reason for expediting and if they will consider your request seriously they should ask for additional documents. Usually they try to make a decision within 30 days. You will see an expedite request status on https://egov.uscis.gov under your K-1 number case history.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also, with PTSD, usually it's 100% disability from the VA, which, not sure on the specific monthly amount of money he should be getting, I know it isn't a ton. I have 10% myself; but is he going to have a co-sponsor because the amount he get's I know wouldn't be enough to qualify on his own as a sponsor, or would be bare minimum... this has nothing much to do with your initial question on expedite. but perhaps something else to think about for the I-134 form and also later for the AOS.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the Military Discussion forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you can request an expedite.

i doubt you would get it based on the information you provided.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

12 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

While you can try, it doesn't hurt, they may approve or deny.... but that being said, he does get free care from the VA... while, as a veteran myself, I honestly avoid the VA at all costs just because it's so slow...

But, as for the expense of traveling back and forth, that's kind of on you both... mean, is it "required" to travel back and forth? USCIS would most likely say no it isn't... so not sure financial loss, or where he chooses to live, ect, would be reason for expedite... sides, even if expedited, you can't work right away when you got here anyways... 

As for emotional support, again he has the VA, and unless you were some sort of professionally certified psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist or what ever, doubt they would go as far as to expedite for your emotional support.

Again though, you can try to expedite by all means, doesn't hurt to try at all. Has no negative effect on your case if denied so.

This does make sense. I know we have thought "it doesn't hurt to try".. so we will give it a shot. I cannot travel to the US.. he has to come to visit me. So the deal is that since we were living together, we took at financial responsibilities there, together. So the burden has now become a financial payment for 2 instead of 1. He tries to avoid the VA as well. The one he goes to in Texas is absolutely horrendous. We went in there to speak to someone about his problems and ask to speak to a psych and they simply asked him if he needed a refill on his medication. So sad. 

Also, upon my arrival, although I wouldn't be able to work.. it would eliminate our finances here in Canada. which would help ALOT. 

Thank you for your response

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems a long shot but as others have said no harm trying.

PS K1 seems an odd choice if finances are tight.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Seems a long shot but as others have said no harm trying.

PS K1 seems an odd choice if finances are tight.

We will try.. it hard to see someone suffer from

mental health.

Never was a issue filing for either.. finances would be an issue either way if we went spousal or K1.. like I said.. I cannot enter the US, so we are forced into committed different financial responsibilities after having those together before k-1/me leaving the US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why can you not enter the US?

With a K1 you have 4 plus months before you can work, a CR1 and you can work immediately.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

These are the expedite criteria: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

We requested an expedite for my CR-1 due to this reason:

• Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.);

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Are you planning to move away from the poorest city in the US?  Because that doesn't sound like the best way to help your financial situation.  If you'll be the one supporting your family, the best way to expedite your reunion and merge your lives might be that he moves to you - it's possible to do the in country process in Canada, you would only have to support one household, not lose on the exchange rate, and you could keep your job. 

Best of luck on your expedite, but please consider a plan b in case it's not approved and you want to get together/support him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.