Umka36

Trump: End birthright citizenship for some US-born babies

180 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

the diversity lottery in its current form is a joke, I would support a merit based lottery system, chain migration needs to be reeled in, children yes, parents, yes, brothers and sisters et al, no. H1b spousal work Visas, again on merit, not blanket, and I support birth right citizenship where one parent is a USC .. I do not consider myself anti-immigration although I do not support unauthorized/illegal immigration

I respect your opinion. 

Yes the system needs to be improved but merit is not going to work towards diversity. Countries with the most money ussually put out the most worthy candidates. 

Which defeats the purpose of having a lotto for diversity. 

The constitution, depending how it is interpreted, does seem to allow birthright citizenship. However there is nothing in the constitution saying illegal alien parents of a birthright citizen get to stay here. That part of the constitution was meant for children of slaves and since we no longer have slavery here I think it is time to amend the constitution to remove birthright citizenship except in cases where at least one parent is a citizen. In the meantime we have to follow the law of the land. So for the time being we can give anyone born here the title of US citizen but if their parents are illegal aliens they can and should be deported and they can take their US citizen child with them if they choose. In the case where one parent is a citizen and the other is here illegally the illegal alien can go back home and apply for a visa. I know it sounds cold but that is how our current law is written and people shouldn't be rewarded for breaking the law.

All that being said I am in favor in loosening up rules for merit based and family based (and maybe some other types of) immigration if we put a solid system in place that bars immigrants from receiving any government assistance whatsoever. In the Ellis island days we had looser immigration laws but we also screened people for diseases and there was virtually no welfare system in place. If you wanted to come here you were expected to work and earn your own way. We want people who contribute to our society. Not leach off of it.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not think any challenge to the current interpretation would likely to succeed, but it has opened the discussion and not sure many would support the current situation, times have changed, there is a reason so many other Countries have moved away from it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I like how nobody is commenting on the absurd statement that the president can change birthright citizenship with an executive order. This is just so obviously not true. So why did Trump say it? It's either:

1) he's blatantly lying just so that he can please his fans to vote republican in the election 

Or

2) he's so incompetent he doesn't realize he can't just issue an EO. 

Which one is it? They're both possible because Trump has shown himself to be both a shameless liar and not very well versed in... well anything , so it's hard to pick one. 

Timeline

Well he could be winding up the Drive By's.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, jg121783 said:

The constitution, depending how it is interpreted, does seem to allow birthright citizenship. However there is nothing in the constitution saying illegal alien parents of a birthright citizen get to stay here. That part of the constitution was meant for children of slaves and since we no longer have slavery here I think it is time to amend the constitution to remove birthright citizenship except in cases where at least one parent is a citizen. In the meantime we have to follow the law of the land. So for the time being we can give anyone born here the title of US citizen but if their parents are illegal aliens they can and should be deported and they can take their US citizen child with them if they choose. In the case where one parent is a citizen and the other is here illegally the illegal alien can go back home and apply for a visa. I know it sounds cold but that is how our current law is written and people shouldn't be rewarded for breaking the law.

All that being said I am in favor in loosening up rules for merit based and family based (and maybe some other types of) immigration if we put a solid system in place that bars immigrants from receiving any government assistance whatsoever. In the Ellis island days we had looser immigration laws but we also screened people for diseases and there was virtually no welfare system in place. If you wanted to come here you were expected to work and earn your own way. We want people who contribute to our society. Not leach off of it.

There is a lot of evidence that family separation negatively impacts a child in ways that persist into adulthood and leads to substantial risks for early adult death, alcoholism, substance abuse, being a victim and perpetrator of violence, etc. And that is primarily my viewpoint for why I don't think illegal immigrant parents should be separated from their USC children. But then if there are efficient and truly helpful government resources that can help mitigate the effects of family separation on USC children, such as a foster care system that actually works and doesn't further negatively impact kids, I'd probably be okay with it. Unfortunately, that system needs a lot of work, too.

A true immigration reform needs to be made -- I definitely agree with that. Countries like Australia and Canada use it to augment gaps in their workforce. 

17 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I like how nobody is commenting on the absurd statement that the president can change birthright citizenship with an executive order. This is just so obviously not true. So why did Trump say it? It's either:

1) he's blatantly lying just so that he can please his fans to vote republican in the election 

Or

2) he's so incompetent he doesn't realize he can't just issue an EO. 

Which one is it? They're both possible because Trump has shown himself to be both a shameless liar and not very well versed in... well anything , so it's hard to pick one. 

I have commented on it, lol. Probably 1st or 2nd page. But, nobody was really discussing it with me. I'm glad you brought it up.

I like giving President Trump the benefit of the doubt because he is, after all, the sum of his Cabinet, too. I don't know if he has read up on previous Congress efforts to address birthright citizenship. But, yeah, I would like to see what this Executive Order actually will contain or if he was just blowing up smoke in that interview.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

or perhaps he feels empowered by Obama causing DACA to spring to life via EO

24 minutes ago, lierre said:

or if he was just blowing up smoke in that interview.

It wouldn't be the first time he's doing that or the last one. He's a professional liar, the only thing he's really good at is lying without any shame. He doesn't even flinch. And his base doesn't care. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

It wouldn't be the first time he's doing that or the last one. He's a professional liar, the only thing he's really good at is lying without any shame. He doesn't even flinch. And his base doesn't care. 

At least Obama is gone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, lierre said:

There is a lot of evidence that family separation negatively impacts a child in ways that persist into adulthood and leads to substantial risks for early adult death, alcoholism, substance abuse, being a victim and perpetrator of violence, etc. And that is primarily my viewpoint for why I don't think illegal immigrant parents should be separated from their USC children. But then if there are efficient and truly helpful government resources that can help mitigate the effects of family separation on USC children, such as a foster care system that actually works and doesn't further negatively impact kids, I'd probably be okay with it. Unfortunately, that system needs a lot of work, too.

A true immigration reform needs to be made -- I definitely agree with that. Countries like Australia and Canada use it to augment gaps in their workforce. 

I have commented on it, lol. Probably 1st or 2nd page. But, nobody was really discussing it with me. I'm glad you brought it up.

I like giving President Trump the benefit of the doubt because he is, after all, the sum of his Cabinet, too. I don't know if he has read up on previous Congress efforts to address birthright citizenship. But, yeah, I would like to see what this Executive Order actually will contain or if he was just blowing up smoke in that interview.

Then why don’t the parents take the child home with them as they would effectively also be citizens of the country of their parents.  No need to separate the family, it becomes their choice.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I'm of the opinion that all politicians lie or act on things that would cater to their fanbase. Hence, I don't really base my opinions on what politicians themselves say and prefer to do my own research.

But, yeah, he should definitely tweet less and stop provoking hateful rhetoric against specific groups of people.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Then why don’t the parents take the child home with them as they would effectively also be citizens of the country of their parents.  No need to separate the family, it becomes their choice.

Here's when generalizing the storyline of a Mexican mother and her anchor baby doesn't work. The ongoings with the Central American countries remind me of the instability in the Middle East and African regions -- Nobody wants their kids to grow up in societies like that.

Every well-meaning parent's choice would be for a safe and healthy environment for their kids. And I wouldn't blame parents for that.

Unfortunately, like many have mentioned, illegal immigration has become a drain in resources. That's why I am for examining how immigration can be changed to positively impact the US economy and society. But, we will have to also take into account the various reasons for which illegal immigrants come to this country.

Audre Lorde

25 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

or perhaps he feels empowered by Obama causing DACA to spring to life via EO

And just like that, the MDL doesn't like EO any more