Umka36

Trump: End birthright citizenship for some US-born babies

180 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You are not an Immigrant if you do not have legal status, seems to be discussing illegals?

The subject of the article is the potential loss of legal status of birthright US citizens.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
19 minutes ago, lierre said:

The subject of the article is the potential loss of legal status of birthright US citizens.

Somebody is suggesting it would be backdated?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Somebody is suggesting it would be backdated?

Again, here's the link for your perusal: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-30/trump-s-birthright-citizenship-ban-could-pose-risks-for-economy

Immigrants and their children are expected to count for 93 percent of the growth in America’s working-age population through 2050, according to a Pew Research Center analysis from 2013...

'The bigger effect would be just to turn more people who would be U.S. citizens into undocumented people,' said Jennifer Hunt, an economics professor at Rutgers University and former chief economist at the U.S. Department of Labor. The impact 'would depend on what if anything replaced birthright citizenship.'

... One effect of the loss of legal status: locking second-generation immigrants out of jobs that require background checks, among other issues...

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The question of the level of Immigration and which categories should be focussed and the needs of the Country is a very different discussion.

Canada for example limits family migration, so there are less incentives for someone to give birth in Canada as a future way to be able to move there through their children.

Why there is an assumption that people who want to give birth in the US would then wish to stay here illegally is beyond me. Would be interesting to see how the Canada figures compare.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The question of the level of Immigration and which categories should be focussed and the needs of the Country is a very different discussion.

Canada for example limits family migration, so there are less incentives for someone to give birth in Canada as a future way to be able to move there through their children.

Why there is an assumption that people who want to give birth in the US would then wish to stay here illegally is beyond me. Would be interesting to see how the Canada figures compare.

I'm confused. Are you stating that the social and economic impacts of a change in the national policy (an amendment to the US constitution) is irrelevant to this discussion?

edit: re-reading it, I think you were responding to shiran’s comment

Edited by lierre

Audre Lorde

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Because earlier in the thread someone made a statement "This would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the USA related to Immigration in the last 100 years.  This would do a lot to stop illegal aliens coming to the USA.  Many of them main goal is to come here to have a child born in the USA." A point, that doesn't appear to be back by statistics. Rising birth tourism from Chinese, Russian etc citizens is a thing, but those do not enter or stay in US illegally. Or at all after childbirth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Anti immagrant can mean alot of things, inclding being in support of legislation against immagrants in general. 

And..

Trump is going pretty deep with those anti immgrant initiatives. 

So if someone is for having laws to protect the borders and control immigration they are anti-immigrant?  Is that why the MDL seems to be embracing open borders?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
3 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Because earlier in the thread someone made a statement "This would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the USA related to Immigration in the last 100 years.  This would do a lot to stop illegal aliens coming to the USA.  Many of them main goal is to come here to have a child born in the USA." A point, that doesn't appear to be back by statistics. Rising birth tourism from Chinese, Russian etc citizens is a thing, but those do not enter or stay in US illegally. Or at all after childbirth.

And yet, “maternity hotels” charge immigrants $80,000 to stay and have babies there.  Seems like a self-sustaining enterprise to me.  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

And yet, “maternity hotels” charge immigrants $80,000 to stay and have babies there.  Seems like a self-sustaining enterprise to me.  

Correct, birthing tourism does support a nice niche economy that caters to it, caretakers, midwifes, shopping, etc. It actually cost about $30000 on average. Amount of women who do that has been rising steadily, I believe it is around 80,000 a year or so currently. 

Edited by Shiran

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Shiran said:

Correct, birthing tourism does support a nice niche economy that caters to it, caretakers, midwifes, shopping, etc. It actually cost about $30000 on average. Amount of women who do that has been rising steadily, I believe it is arounf 80,000 a year or so currently. 

I was once offered $10,000 to “marry” a Korean and allow her to get her USC.  Those who think it’s not being done, at multiple levels, are simply blind.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

I was once offered $10,000 to “marry” a Korean and allow her to get her USC.  Those who think it’s not being done, at multiple levels, are simply blind.

$10000 for 5 years doesn't seem like a good pay to me. Especially if have to cover filing fees, food, etc. But that also illegal if relationship is not bona fide. Birth tourism, when done above water, is not. 

1 hour ago, Satisfied said:

20 mil divided by population.

Sources?

Audre Lorde

1 hour ago, Satisfied said:

we both know its done all the time 

1 hour ago, Shiran said:

$10000 for 5 years doesn't seem like a good pay to me. Especially if have to cover filing fees, food, etc. But that also illegal if relationship is not bona fide. Birth tourism, when done above water, is not. 

You dont have to stay together but 2 years Technically. I know several that left after a few months and did not get sent home