Nadia&Farouk

Cousin wants to list me on her tourist visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

I have a cousin in Colombia who follows me on facebook. Recently my fiance and I had our K1 visa approved (he is from Morocco). So my Colombian cousin messaged me and told me she was going to apply for a tourist visa to United States and asked if I knew anything about the process . I told her it was a different process than the fiance visa and to check out the official government website as well this website visajourney. She asked me if she could list me as a relative that she wants to come see on her tourist visa. I agreed but I'm now wondering if that will affect my fiances immigration process. I don't want to raise any red flags, as if all of sudden I am being listed on everyones visa petitions. So my question is should I give her my information to list me on her tourist visa? 

It won't impact her fiance visa process.

It won't help her tourist visa application either, and may hurt (having relatives is a tie to stay in the US, not a reason to leave). She has to list applicable relatives on the DS-160 anyway (I forget if cousins are requested, but likely not).

Thee is no petition for a tourist visa...just an application. So I'm not sure where she plans to list you exactly.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definately won't affect an approved K-1 visa or that process at all.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

22 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Thee is no petition for a tourist visa...just an application. So I'm not sure where she plans to list you exactly.

She might be visiting and staying with the cousin. They ask for local addresses/places you'll stay.

5 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

She might be visiting and staying with the cousin. They ask for local addresses/places you'll stay.

True, that's possible.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Non issue

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

19 hours ago, Nadia&Farouk said:

Hi,

I have a cousin in Colombia who follows me on facebook. Recently my fiance and I had our K1 visa approved (he is from Morocco). So my Colombian cousin messaged me and told me she was going to apply for a tourist visa to United States and asked if I knew anything about the process . I told her it was a different process than the fiance visa and to check out the official government website as well this website visajourney. She asked me if she could list me as a relative that she wants to come see on her tourist visa. I agreed but I'm now wondering if that will affect my fiances immigration process. I don't want to raise any red flags, as if all of sudden I am being listed on everyones visa petitions. So my question is should I give her my information to list me on her tourist visa? 

It won't affect anything.

Her listing you does not improve her chances of getting a tourist visa it is strictly based on her ties to her home country and the probability of her returning to Columbia after her visit.

Also, it does not hurt your K1 application in any way.

It is not a big deal really.

Edited by Rayson

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It won’t affect you at all but it won’t help her either. She has to disclose she has family in the US on the application but people somehow think it’s good to have someone in the US “vouch” for them but if she doesn’t have enough ties to her home country to merit the visa alone, no amount of bs she says about you will make any difference on her application. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

It won't be an issue if you are on the B visa application.

She will have a question about who will she be visiting while there. She may add either you or a friend, it doesn't really matter.

When I applied for B1/B2, I listed my fiancé as the person I was visiting but didn't use his address. Put a hotel address instead. At the interview they asked me about him and what was my relationship with him, so she may have the chance to clarify that you are cousins if they ask her too.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This will not affect your visa already issued

she has to qualify on her own for tourist visa

and she will need to prove strong ties to return to Columbia

and congratulations

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 10/20/2018 at 9:46 AM, adil-rafa said:

This will not affect your visa already issued

she has to qualify on her own for tourist visa

and she will need to prove strong ties to return to Columbia

and congratulations

Ok thank you. That seems to be consesus here. I just gave her my info. And thank you again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.