leiya

applying for removal conditions with no joint acc in bank

32 posts in this topic

dear all member, 

today I'm going to start to collect all the evidence for my removal conditions  since my 2 years card is expiring. However, since the first time I've married my husband, I don't have joint account simply because I don't want to add conflict between us and because he is going to control and ask me every penny I spent. So, I decided to make my own bank account and spent my money with no questions. 

However, my car loan and car insurance plus health insurance are joint, plus we have joint tax returns. 

We also purchase the house we live in, without my name on it. According to him, because I wasn't there when they sign the paperwork and because I DONT contribute to pay the house mortgage. 

Mind you, he makes almost 15 times than me, so I'm not capable to pay the house loan. Other than that, I pay my own car & insurance also contributing for the food and small stuff. 

my question, regarding to my situation, is there anyone ever apply the removal conditions without no bank account and joint mortgage?  Thank you in advance. 

2 minutes ago, spring333 said:

So many red flags if you ask me.

Marriage is an union where both parties participate and share. you spend your money, he bought a house on his name, you pay your own car and insurance. So many MY/MINE and HIS. That is not marriage immigration likes to see. Just a friendly advise - change that  ASAP. 

:)

thank you for your advice, I just can't really change it at the moment since I'm going to apply it asap. Basically he pay for most part, I was just explaining that part I dont have joint account in Bank... He mentioned to me long time ago, if I want to have my name on the house, I should co pay as well, but I only work part time and my salary barely enough to pay all the bills :(

@leiya Without joint bank account, your application would be kind of weak. If your 90-day window is just approaching, then go right away and open joint bank account(s)? And then, at the end of 90-day window you will have at least 2 or 3 bank statements (still not great, but at least something!).

Otherwise, use whatever you have. But you may get interview.

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

1 minute ago, Kiolas said:

@leiya Without joint bank account, your application would be kind of weak. If your 90-day window is just approaching, then go right away and open joint bank account(s)? And then, at the end of 90-day window you will have at least 2 or 3 bank statements (still not great, but at least something!).

Otherwise, use whatever you have. But you may get interview.

thank you for your advise, I really appreciate it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
39 minutes ago, leiya said:

dear all member, 

today I'm going to start to collect all the evidence for my removal conditions  since my 2 years card is expiring. However, since the first time I've married my husband, I don't have joint account simply because I don't want to add conflict between us and because he is going to control and ask me every penny I spent. So, I decided to make my own bank account and spent my money with no questions. 

However, my car loan and car insurance plus health insurance are joint, plus we have joint tax returns. 

We also purchase the house we live in, without my name on it. According to him, because I wasn't there when they sign the paperwork and because I DONT contribute to pay the house mortgage. 

Mind you, he makes almost 15 times than me, so I'm not capable to pay the house loan. Other than that, I pay my own car & insurance also contributing for the food and small stuff. 

my question, regarding to my situation, is there anyone ever apply the removal conditions without no bank account and joint mortgage?  Thank you in advance. 

Don't see any problem with not having a joint mortgage. 

As for joint bank account... Well, USCIS really sees that as a strong evidence, but again - a lot of couples keep their finances separately and still successfully go though ROC. 

You joint Tax returns - I'd advice got ahead and order Tax Transcripts from IRS.

Your Driver Licenses  should (both) show the same address, correct?

Joint car loan is a good thing, along with car and health insurances.

What about House insurance?  - my husband also got approved for a loan before I moved to the US, but once House was bought, he put my name on House Insurance as well. Later, when I got my conditional green card, he added my name to House Title .

Utility bills? - see above., it was the same - my name wasn't on Title yet, but was added to utilities bill.

Phone  bill? 

Do you have any 401 through work or on your own? Who is a beneficiary there? 

Anyway, you can not submit what you don't have, right? Just send as much as you can. As I've said before - a lot of people don't even have what you got and still got conditions removed.  So - good luck with your next step!!! :)

2 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Don't see any problem with not having a joint mortgage. 

As for joint bank account... Well, USCIS really sees that as a strong evidence, but again - a lot of couples keep their finances separately and still successfully go though ROC. 

You joint Tax returns - I'd advice got ahead and order Tax Transcripts from IRS.

Your Driver Licenses  should (both) show the same address, correct?

Joint car loan is a good thing, along with car and health insurances.

What about House insurance?  - my husband also got approved for a loan before I moved to the US, but once House was bought, he put my name on House Insurance as well. Later, when I got my conditional green card, he added my name to House Title .

Utility bills? - see above., it was the same - my name wasn't on Title yet, but was added to utilities bill.

Phone  bill? 

Do you have any 401 through work or on your own? Who is a beneficiary there? 

Anyway, you can not submit what you don't have, right? Just send as much as you can. As I've said before - a lot of people don't even have what you got and still got conditions removed.  So - good luck with your next step!!! :)

You joint Tax returns - I'd advice got ahead and order Tax Transcripts from IRS. ==> Yes, we do tax together since we married

Your Driver Licenses  should (both) show the same address, correct? ==> Yes,it does

Joint car loan is a good thing, along with car and health insurances. ==> Yes, my car is under his name and mine, but technically I pay it independently. This one is a bit tricky to me, since the receipt of the payment will be from my own Bank statement, but I hope it's not a big deal.

What about House insurance?  - my husband also got approved for a loan before I moved to the US, but once House was bought, he put my name on House Insurance as well. Later, when I got my conditional green card, he added my name to House Title . ==> I dont think he put my name on it. I asked him long time ago and he said it's not a big deal. 

Phone  bill? Utilities are on his name and phone bills to because I'm using the number under his line. 

Do you have any 401 through work or on your own? Who is a beneficiary there?  I don't have 401K but he has his, and my name is beneficiary :)

Timeline
10 minutes ago, leiya said:

You joint Tax returns - I'd advice got ahead and order Tax Transcripts from IRS. ==> Yes, we do tax together since we married

Your Driver Licenses  should (both) show the same address, correct? ==> Yes,it does 

Joint car loan is a good thing, along with car and health insurances. ==> Yes, my car is under his name and mine, but technically I pay it independently. This one is a bit tricky to me, since the receipt of the payment will be from my own Bank statement, but I hope it's not a big deal.

What about House insurance?  - my husband also got approved for a loan before I moved to the US, but once House was bought, he put my name on House Insurance as well. Later, when I got my conditional green card, he added my name to House Title . ==> I dont think he put my name on it. I asked him long time ago and he said it's not a big deal.  - Still... You live in the same House, so your name should be on the House Insurance. Just ask him if it's there. 

Phone  bill? Utilities are on his name and phone bills to because I'm using the number under his line. 

Do you have any 401 through work or on your own? Who is a beneficiary there?  I don't have 401K but he has his, and my name is beneficiary :) - Good ;)

Seems like you are prepared for your I-751. It's probably, not perfect, but not bad at all :)

Maybe, there is a Life Insurance?....  If it does exist and your/his name as a beneficiary, it's a good evidence for ROC as well.

@Ksenia_O I am preparinggg :D  and we dont have life insurance only health insurance for now.. 

Anyway, I want to say thank you so much and I really appreciate your positive feedback and advice!

You are truly a positive person and it boost my mood better :)

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Timeline
Just now, leiya said:

@Ksenia_O I am preparinggg :D  and we dont have life insurance only health insurance for now.. 

Anyway, I want to say thank you so much and I really appreciate your positive feedback and advice!

You are truly a positive person and it boost my mood better :)

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Thank you!!!!!!

I wish you all the best and smooth ROC process.

P.S. Also, while I-751 is pending, try to get your name added to something...like utilities bill, house Ins if it';s not there. It won't cost your husband any extra money, but it could show some progress in collected evidences if RFE is issued or you are called for an interview. 

Again - good luck!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

This is not the way a typical marriage in the US works.  IMO, each person should have their own bank account and credit card on which he/she is the primary applicant as well as a shared account and credit card from which joint expenses are paid.  This is because in the event of the death of a joint owner, some accounts are locked for a period of time. You should have at least one and better 3 months of expenses for the household in your personal account.

Just because his name is the only one on the house does not mean it is his alone. Many of your rights and responsibilities as a spouse are dependent on the state in which you live. You need to become informed.

A typical arrangement is that each spouse will contribute to the joint expenses proportionally to their incomes. I am afraid that you may find you in a bad position later in life if you continue with this his/mine attitude.

Typically most of my friends have completely separate finances.  I dont think my husband and I are friends with any couples who have like our arrangement.  We each have our own account, and a joint account. Most of our bills are paid from the joint account.  We have separate credit cards.  Our vehicle loans are currently only in my husband's name, but all the vehicle insurance is under both names. 

Most of our friends (close ones that we actually talk to about financial issues) have completely separate banking information.  The house mortgage and deed are on the spouse's name who pays the mortgage.  (Which is different than us as I am on the deed but not the mortgage.)  

Since the OP has other items that show they live together and have co-mingled some of their finances, then I dont see an issue with their arrangement.  The husband pays all the bills and the wife uses her money for spending.  Sounds like many couples I know.  I do suggest the OP does some wills, especially since both are not on the deed for the house and medical powers of attorney.  Having each other as life insurance beneficiaries is also good.  

There is no perfect way to do ROC.  You submit what you have and what works for your family.  If you have to explain it, try to make it sounds more positive than "my spouse grills me about every penny."  

Addition:  I get why the OP does this.  My ex and I had very separate banking lives.  I was not on any accounts unless as an authorized user.  The one joint credit card we had, he closed because he was afraid my credit would tarnish his.  (It helped him actually vs hindered.)  But my ex was a control freak too.  We always had money but like the OP, I didnt like explaining I wanted a coffee from Starbucks or asking for $100 to get groceries.  Ugh.  Hubs and I only ask each other about larger purchases.  He normally will ask me since I spend more time nitpicking at the bank account than he does.  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 hours ago, leiya said:

When I refinanced my house, I had to put my husband's name on the deed even though he wasn't on the mortgage.   Because he wasn't in the US yet, they were going to have him sign a special power of attorney to do so.  In the end we closed in person and he ended up on the deed.  When we bought a new house together, I could have gone it alone with the mortgage (he was unemployed).  I deliberately added him to the mortgage even though the monthly bill would be higher so that 1) he was protected 2) he credit score started building up 3) well.....he's my husband.  It's his home too.    

8 hours ago, leiya said:

:)

thank you for your advice, I just can't really change it at the moment since I'm going to apply it asap. Basically he pay for most part, I was just explaining that part I dont have joint account in Bank... He mentioned to me long time ago, if I want to have my name on the house, I should co pay as well, but I only work part time and my salary barely enough to pay all the bills :(

He's got you in a position that protects himself 100%, and doesn't protect you at all.    I agree with others above - typically there's a joint account to pay bills from and by keeping himself solo on everything, you are in a whole lot of trouble if something happens, like he dies.   I hope you did wills and you are the beneficiary of that and his retirement funds at least, as well as any employer supplied life insurance (he may have and you don't know it).  I say this out of concern about your welfare, separate from your questions for the process.    I wish you the best of luck on your marriage and journey.  Please consider what we are saying - get something joint and ensure you are protected.  That would help your paperwork, but more important, it helps YOU.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.