2,056 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
On 11/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, JennaL said:

My fiancé is from Iran also, although he's been a citizen of a European country now for most of his adult life. He had his embassy interview about two months ago and was also given the 221g. We've been waiting since then in AP, although I know there are many others on here in the same situation who have been waiting much longer. It's definitely a frustrating situation to say the least.

JennaL, I thought dual citizens are supposed to get an exception to the travel ban? When I read it the language indicates that no waiver is necessary for dual citizens.  What did you experience?

NOA1: 26 July 2017

NOA2: 2 February 2018

NVC Received: 13 February 2018

NVC Case # Assigned: 22 February 2018

NVC Left: 27 February 2018

Consulate Received: 1 March 2018

Packet 3 Received: 10 March 2018

Packet 3 Sent: 8 October 2018 (we delayed intentionally)

Interview: 31 October 2018

Currently in AP!!! :(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
2 hours ago, NJ515 said:

JennaL, I thought dual citizens are supposed to get an exception to the travel ban? When I read it the language indicates that no waiver is necessary for dual citizens.  What did you experience?

Right, he is not banned so does not get a waiver, however, as he has a connection to a banned country by being born in one, he requires extra vetting which is what the 221g is for.

Also, the last time he was here in the US was in 2014. Back then, he did not need a visa, just his Norwegian passport. Two years ago he was planning a trip to visit me here in the US and found out the rules had changed and he would need to apply for a visa since his Norwegian passport lists his birthplace as Iran. We never have heard anything from the embassy in the past two years and his visitors visa has been in AP since then as well.

I'm beginning to become a little suspicious of any "exceptions" like being a dual citizen, etc. It seems if you have any connection at all to a banned country, you are indefinitely on hold from entering the US.

Hopefully there is an end in sight and fiances and spouses will soon be allowed to be reunited with their loved ones in the US :) 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hello,

In the spirit of sharing the experience, I wanted to share with you a personal essay I wrote about my experience in AP. Feel free to share it if it resonates with you.

https://ne-ma.net/2018/12/05/maybe-tomorrow-maybe-next-year/

Timeline
18 minutes ago, bashar26 said:

Hello,

In the spirit of sharing the experience, I wanted to share with you a personal essay I wrote about my experience in AP. Feel free to share it if it resonates with you.

https://ne-ma.net/2018/12/05/maybe-tomorrow-maybe-next-year/

Thanks for sharing this. 

I am crying. I was able to relate with almost every word. 

I will be reading this thread soon, i just found it today. But in case you haven't mentioned them earlier could you tell us what are the names of the Facebook groups you mentioned in the essay? 

Thanks a lot ❤

I am Syrian, my husband met my family and my friends, they attended our very small less than 2 hours wedding in Lebanon (I live in Syria but we always had our meetings in Lebanon since it is less complicated). I didn't meet anyone from his side in real life for the same reason as your family's, they think it is not safe.

And also the part where you speak about future plans is very deep. Living this uncertainty of where we will be living when we live together and when will we make it? It is very hard, It is stopping me from seeking for better career it is affecting every choice.  Should I seek for higher education or will I have to drop the education before i finish because the Visa got approved?

I wish you the best with your future plans and may you unite again soon.

I - 751 package: 

Sent:                               02/04/22

Received:                       02/10/22

Text notification:          02/14/22

Office:                            MSC

NOA received:               02/22/22

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nagham said:

Thanks for sharing this. 

I will be reading this thread soon, i just found it today. But in case you haven't mentioned them earlier could you tell us what are the names of the Facebook groups you mentioned in the essay? 

Thanks a lot ❤

I am Syrian, my husband met my family and my friends, they attended our very small less than 2 hours wedding in Lebanon (I live in Syria but we always had our meetings in Lebanon since it is less complicated). I didn't meet anyone from his side in real life for the same reason as your family's, they think it is not safe.

And also the part where you speak about future plans is very deep. Living this uncertainty of where we will be living when we live together and when will we make it? It is very hard, It is stopping me from seeking for better career it is affecting every choice.  Should I seek for higher education or will I have to drop the education before i finish because the Visa got approved?

Thank you for reading :) it makes me so happy when someone can relate to this experience. together we can be strong. 

Here's a list of the immigration FB groups I am a part of: 

US EMBASSY ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS & Form DS-5535

Visa Filers from Turkey to the U.S.

Visa Journey

I-130 filers Immigration Visa Group.

That's it I think. Visa Filer from Turkey might be of interest to you, even though you are not applying from Turkey, because the administrators there are very intelligent and they keep up to date with immigration news. 

Hope this can help, and I'm wishing all the best for you and your husband to be living together as soon as possible.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bashar26 said:

Thank you for reading :) it makes me so happy when someone can relate to this experience. together we can be strong. 

Here's a list of the immigration FB groups I am a part of: 

US EMBASSY ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS & Form DS-5535

Visa Filers from Turkey to the U.S.

Visa Journey

I-130 filers Immigration Visa Group.

That's it I think. Visa Filer from Turkey might be of interest to you, even though you are not applying from Turkey, because the administrators there are very intelligent and they keep up to date with immigration news. 

Hope this can help, and I'm wishing all the best for you and your husband to be living together as soon as possible.

Thank you very much. 

I - 751 package: 

Sent:                               02/04/22

Received:                       02/10/22

Text notification:          02/14/22

Office:                            MSC

NOA received:               02/22/22

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Wow, @bashar26, thank you so much for sharing this. These types of personal stories need to get told more often. I feel like so many here in the US have no idea just how far reaching and extreme the effects of this ban have become on US citizens and their far away fiancés and spouses. 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

22 hours ago, JennaL said:

Wow, @bashar26, thank you so much for sharing this. These types of personal stories need to get told more often. I feel like so many here in the US have no idea just how far reaching and extreme the effects of this ban have become on US citizens and their far away fiancés and spouses. 

The average American has no clue, and neither do many members of Congress. They are completely oblivious. While it's not the major problem, the organizations who are supposedly fighting this proclamation are blatantly incompetent.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:18 PM, JennaL said:

Right, he is not banned so does not get a waiver, however, as he has a connection to a banned country by being born in one, he requires extra vetting which is what the 221g is for.

Also, the last time he was here in the US was in 2014. Back then, he did not need a visa, just his Norwegian passport. Two years ago he was planning a trip to visit me here in the US and found out the rules had changed and he would need to apply for a visa since his Norwegian passport lists his birthplace as Iran. We never have heard anything from the embassy in the past two years and his visitors visa has been in AP since then as well.

I'm beginning to become a little suspicious of any "exceptions" like being a dual citizen, etc. It seems if you have any connection at all to a banned country, you are indefinitely on hold from entering the US.

Hopefully there is an end in sight and fiances and spouses will soon be allowed to be reunited with their loved ones in the US :) 

Did he do his military service in Iran? If yes, he would have been subject to a very long AP pre-ban. There have been dual nationals who have received their visas post ban without long APs. I remember reading about one on this forum living in Australia. They are usually female. Iranian males typically have had long APs.

Edited by Ron12345

23 hours ago, Nagham said:

Thanks for sharing this. 

Thanks a lot ❤

The AP process is patently unfair to all American spouses. If they provided timelines, that would be a significant improvement. Living in total uncertainty is simply impossible.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
14 hours ago, Ron12345 said:

Did he do his military service in Iran? If yes, he would have been subject to a very long AP pre-ban. There have been dual nationals who have received their visas post ban without long APs. I remember reading about one on this forum living in Australia. They are usually female. Iranian males typically have had long APs.

Have you seen/heard of any cases for Iranian males who were exempt from military service? Any thoughts on whether this lessens AP time? 

4 hours ago, JessM28 said:

Have you seen/heard of any cases for Iranian males who were exempt from military service? Any thoughts on whether this lessens AP time? 

I know someone waiting since may. He didnt have military service. I am not sure if this makes it go any faster. I know someone who did have military service as well. His took 25 months.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
19 hours ago, salhasl said:

I know someone waiting since may. He didnt have military service. I am not sure if this makes it go any faster. I know someone who did have military service as well. His took 25 months.

Thanks for sharing! So the person that took 25 months- they got their visa, correct? Was that before or after the travel ban went into effect? 

One more question- the person that did not have military service- who is sponsoring them/type of visa? Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.