Paulonto

Job Hunting Ethics

20 posts in this topic

Hello all :D

Alright.... I'm just wondering if there's a particular way to behave when job hunting in America.

For example an American in the UK once told me that it was unappropriate to smile during an interview..... I don't think it's the case but was wondering about other things, that maybe you had noticed through your experience as a migrant, like for example, shaking hands, or standing up, of dress code, that was a foreign concept to where you are from.

Another example, in France you get a job by knocking on doors but in the UK it's practically exclusively online now.

In France you talk to the boss but in the UK you go through a few interviews first.

Are there things you have found USA exclusive or have you made some faux pas you never knew were before?

I'm really interested pleass in your experiences that would highlight a unique way to process or behave in facilitating job hunting.

Many thanks!!!

:clock:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Applying for IR1 through DCF London.

===============================

12/22/2017 Form i-130 posted!

DELAY: CHRISTMAS

12/28/2017 Notice of Receipt

DELAY: NEW YEAR

03/14/2018 Request For Evidence

03/28/2018 USCIS received Docs

DELAY: EASTER

04/17/2018 Petition I-130 Approved!

DELAY: SPONSOR CHANGE

05/10/2018 DS-260 Completed

07/16/2018 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/18/2018 Visa is being printed

07/23/2018 all posted and in my hand!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Besides all the traditional ways to find jobs, don't underestimate the power of networking. Get out and meet people. You would be surprised how many random acquaintances will know somebody or have a job lead. It may very well get  your resume to the top of the stack if the boss knows somebody who knows you. Have some business cards printed with your contact information and basic skills or line of work then give a card to everybody you meet. Tell them you are looking for work in the ________ field, so if they hear of anything or know somebody hiring to give you a shout.

And smile 😊

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Having applied for jobs and having been the hiring manager in different jobs, which included panel interviews, and working with other hiring managers, I can say there’s no one single answer.  Interviewers are as unique in their approach as interviewees.

Most general-being upbeat and having a can-do attitude are most important.  Any job that involves interfacing with the public should include a lot of smiling.  I know airlines and hotels specifically look for this.  

Eye contact and a confident handshake can kick off a good impression.

Dressing well, but appropriately is crucial.  Too many Americans think nothing of going to an interview in jeans.  Even if you are applying for fast food, a dress shirt and tie or jacket (male) or a smart outfit for women is not too much.  Women should think “smart” and “professional” as to the look.  Never “sexy”. Too often younger women go to interviews looking like they are going clubbing.

the main emphasis from there is a willingness and ability to do the work and be motivated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

A good majority of jobs are online here in the USA. Even most fast food places require you to fill out an application online. They days of walking in off the street and asking are just about non existent. Like other posters have said, networking is key, a good LinkedIn profile will help ( I get people asking me if I want to apply for a job at their company on a regular basis, mostly recruiters, but it's a start). Monster.com, indeed.com are all great sources where you can upload a resume and apply for jobs with the click of a mouse. You will more than likely be instructed to fill out the companies actual application before the interview, but this allows you to get your resume looked at hopefully. Depending on the job kinda depends on how many people you will go thru. Simple jobs you can do one interview and be hired on the spot. Most any that are a good paying job requires you to interview at least twice, and even a third time before you get an offer letter sent to you. Also, a smile is good here, and like others have said " Dress to impress" even for a what might be considered a nobody job or one that isn't that big of deal, that little bit of effort will make you stand out. There are all sorts of tips and tricks to help you with your job hunt online and offline. Many communities have employment centers you can go to to see job listings, and get one on one help with your resume, and even help you practice by doing some "Mock" interviews. Most of these are free for you also, so no harm checking them out, I would probably have to go to one of these if I lost my job. I haven't looked for a job in over 15 years, and would probably be out of the loop in the current job search market, but I do have a pretty big Network to fall back on I have built up over the past 15 years, so that would help me out.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

at a recent job fair the only man who was hired was dressed in sport jacket a slacks  / others wore jeans (sometimes  sloppy) and t shirts

1st and maybe second interview  may be by phone

so speak slowly and clearly

but most of all before any interview look the company up and know the products and service they provide 

know their reputition and mention in interview what empresses u about this compny and why u r interested in them

BTW  I am the one who interviewed and hired at the job fair

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I agree that networking is very important here in the US. That is also how I got my job: I was recommended to apply for a job where a friend of my husband works. 

Thank you guys!

It's intetesting to see that it's pretty similar to the UK.... online, network, confidence, dress code etc. Thank you!!!

Kris&me: I'm starting to notice that job fairs are quite a thing over there.....

I'm nearly 50 and have never seen one on this side of the world.... how does that work please?

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Paulonto said:

Thank you guys!

It's intetesting to see that it's pretty similar to the UK.... online, network, confidence, dress code etc. Thank you!!!

Kris&me: I'm starting to notice that job fairs are quite a thing over there.....

I'm nearly 50 and have never seen one on this side of the world.... how does that work please?

I forgot about those, yes I do see a lot of those advertised here. Most have 30 plus places hiring and will all be at the job fair. A good place to get your resume into the hands of people that can get you a job. They always say in the ad you can be hired on the spot! I'm sure that happens, but not very often, but it is a good place to get your name out there. They hold them at conference halls, and other big venues like convention centers, and it is worth checking out.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Meet people. The more people you know the better. Even if you don't have any skills you can get a job pretty easily by knowing someone. Find networking events in your area and check them out and talk to lots of people. "It's not what you know it's who you know"

It all depends on the nature of the job or industry it is in, IMO. In some areas, who you know is king. In others, they will seriously look at what you know first and foremost...knowing somebody just gets you a heads up or interview at best. In yet others, experience and where you've worked / your area of expertise is king.

Job fairs are a good way to meet people and see who's looking for employment. Job postings online are also important, although response rates tend to be lower (but there's typically many more jobs available than just those at a job fair...not all companies spend the time/money to set up a booth at a fair).

Recruiters are also a great way to present yourself to an employer.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline
17 hours ago, Paulonto said:

I'm nearly 50 

May I ask, do you look it? Perception of the job candidate is everything, just like dressing more formally and neatly is. And sorry to say it, but there is unspoken age discrimination (nearly impossible to prove). My advice is to get any gray hair professionally colored, (and if male) lose any gray facial hair, or facial hair altogether unless meticulously trimmed; update your wardrobe to current trends you may not have noticed (like brightly patterned socks for men, and lower heels for women); and contrary to what others have said, (if male) a shirt buttoned at the collar but no tie, unless the interview is for a very straight-laced company; and (if female) no bright colors or bold patterns for women, and reduce the big jewelry and makeup. And for both sexes, manicured hands. 

The odds are very high that your interviewer will be decades younger than you, and few will feel comfortable hiring someone who looks like their parent.

I don't look my 50, no. I am smartish looking, cleanly well dress, modest and contemporary, not modern. I work in sales, so smart is essential along with self perspective.

As a foreigner, have you noticed anything odd in the american way of the employment process you would have never had thought of before immigrating?

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Paulonto said:

I don't look my 50, no. I am smartish looking, cleanly well dress, modest and contemporary, not modern. I work in sales, so smart is essential along with self perspective.

As a foreigner, have you noticed anything odd in the american way of the employment process you would have never had thought of before immigrating?

I think the resume is different from the CV. I've seen CVs that list things like "I enjoy camping and hiking with my family". 

The resume almost seems like boasting to some Brits. Use action words to show your accomplishments.

• Sold more products than anyone on my team in 2016 and 2017
  • Organized  the ....whatever
  • Supervised a small group  planning.... whatever
  • Wrote a new sales manual for....
  • Provided excellent customer support 

Managed, created, developed, achieved, provided....action words showing things you did.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 7/21/2018 at 7:30 PM, Paulonto said:

Thank you guys!

they will advertise when a job fair is to be held near u (usually twice a year)

several companies set up booths and talk to propective employees /

they are equiped to show products and tell about their serivices

if hiring they will show list of jobs available and website to apply for jobs / at times they may be free to take a resume on site 

a good resume is always a plus 

don't forget to check out the temp services / many companies now hire thru a temp agency offering full time work if your quality of work suits the company after a trial period

Edited by kris&me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.