Zumbadaddy

How likely is this prediction

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I keep receiving updates like this.

We sent in our K1 application on

2/28... RECEIVED 3/1

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between September 11, 2018 and September 15, 2018*. 

We are hoping to plan our wedding for the 2nd week of January but don't want to reserve anything until the K1 approval... from what I'm told..after that its the medical exam and interview and that should go pretty fast once the K1 is approved.

Opinions on this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

2nd week of January would be cutting it extremely close.... USCIS has been getting slow and slow, not faster and faster... and might slow down even more. On the optomistic end, I'd say 7 months to NOA2, another month to get through NVC and to the Embassy, and then another month to finish everything else (I've heard booking interviews for Japan takes a few weeks).... So if all goes well, maybe you've have a December POE... but with all things K1... I'd really recommend not planning any hard dates.

I know that makes it hard to book venues and what not, but it's one of the prices we pay for getting our loved ones here. 

K1 / K2 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Kyiv, Ukriane

I-129-F mailed to USCIS 2017-11-10

Case Status received (NOA1) by USCIS: 2017-11-14

Check cashed: 2017-11-17

Case Received Email Notification: 2017-11-17

Case status available on myUSCIS: 2017-11-20

NOA1 Hardcopy received by mail: 2017-11-24

NOA2 Approval (204 days): 2018-06-06

Approval status updated on  new website: 2018-06-08

-- no updates on old website, no text, no email --

NOA2 Hardcopy received by mail: 2018-06-12

NVC Case Number Generated (21 days since NOA2): 2018-06-27

Case Left NVC: 2018-07-10 (13 days at NVC)

Case Received by Embassy: 2018-07-12 (2 days travel time!)

Medical Exam: 2018-07-16

Interview: 2018-08-08 (Approved)

Entry: 2018-09-19 (Chicago POE)

Marriage: 2018-10-12

"New" Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

"Old" Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just got my NOA2 for my K1 visa on July 3rd. Took 189 days and happened about a week before my timeline estimate of July 10th thru the 16th I think it was. No RFE and I'm feeling like a champ that nothing can stop me now, I've got this immigration thing down. I so much want to plan for some things because I figure NVC and the embassy stage will be a walk in the park, and is very predictable. Then I wise up and search a few threads where people have lost thousands of dollars in reservations, flight tickets, invitations, deposits on wedding halls, etc. etc. Just do a search and you will see the horror stories. I have convinced myself no matter what until the visa is in my fiancees passport I am not doing anything. I believe everyone else on here will tell you the same thing. I honestly think if you had to you could throw together a wedding in a month tops. I'm not getting that fancy, on the way from the airport after we land I hit the drive thru wedding chapel and get it done. Total time 20 min. drive from the airport to the chapel. I just would not risk planning anything unless you don't have to put any money down, or it is 100 percent refundable. I have learned on these forums in the past 7 months I have been on them every day because it is the only thing keeping my mind off the wait, that just when you think everything is good the train derails and spins you into a nightmare you never believed could happen, and to have that happen and then see a bunch of money being wasted isn't worth it in my mind. I mean, who knows, the embassy could burn down, it floods, a rival militant group takes over the embassy and takes hostages( This has happened) I just think hold on for that visa in the passport, and even then you still have to get thru POE. The visa just gives you a chance of admission to the US, doesn't guarantee you are getting in. I feel the same way you do, even more so, but resist the urge. Maybe pick out colors for your wedding, work on a guest list, shop for invitations( Don't buy any), just do things to keep yourself occupied that are free with no commitment. I know this whole process is expensive from the start, so why add to the costs.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I just got my NOA2 for my K1 visa on July 3rd. Took 189 days and happened about a week before my timeline estimate of July 10th thru the 16th I think it was. No RFE and I'm feeling like a champ that nothing can stop me now, I've got this immigration thing down. I so much want to plan for some things because I figure NVC and the embassy stage will be a walk in the park, and is very predictable. Then I wise up and search a few threads where people have lost thousands of dollars in reservations, flight tickets, invitations, deposits on wedding halls, etc. etc. Just do a search and you will see the horror stories. I have convinced myself no matter what until the visa is in my fiancees passport I am not doing anything. I believe everyone else on here will tell you the same thing. I honestly think if you had to you could throw together a wedding in a month tops. I'm not getting that fancy, on the way from the airport after we land I hit the drive thru wedding chapel and get it done. Total time 20 min. drive from the airport to the chapel. I just would not risk planning anything unless you don't have to put any money down, or it is 100 percent refundable. I have learned on these forums in the past 7 months I have been on them every day because it is the only thing keeping my mind off the wait, that just when you think everything is good the train derails and spins you into a nightmare you never believed could happen, and to have that happen and then see a bunch of money being wasted isn't worth it in my mind. I mean, who knows, the embassy could burn down, it floods, a rival militant group takes over the embassy and takes hostages( This has happened) I just think hold on for that visa in the passport, and even then you still have to get thru POE. The visa just gives you a chance of admission to the US, doesn't guarantee you are getting in. I feel the same way you do, even more so, but resist the urge. Maybe pick out colors for your wedding, work on a guest list, shop for invitations( Don't buy any), just do things to keep yourself occupied that are free with no commitment. I know this whole process is expensive from the start, so why add to the costs.

Once the Applicatin was approved do you need anything else to bring with you to the exam or interview?

I would love o have that all together in a file and prepared so she can call and schedule it for ASAP... like if they said we can fit you in today in 40 minutes it would be great to be prepared for that if it were to happen.

Our original date was scheduled for August 4th.  When we found out that date was a def no go.... we got the go ahead from the country club  in Philadelphia that my moms clkub in Florida is owned by the same company and they will allow the deposit I gave be used there... but there only date was on a Friday... so be it if need be... but my fiance's coworkers from Japan will all be here in Florida the 2nd week of January so if we scheduled it for that weekend it would work perfectly... otherwise they won't be coming to the wedding for sure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Zumbadaddy said:

Once the Applicatin was approved do you need anything else to bring with you to the exam or interview?

I would love o have that all together in a file and prepared so she can call and schedule it for ASAP... like if they said we can fit you in today in 40 minutes it would be great to be prepared for that if it were to happen.

Our original date was scheduled for August 4th.  When we found out that date was a def no go.... we got the go ahead from the country club  in Philadelphia that my moms clkub in Florida is owned by the same company and they will allow the deposit I gave be used there... but there only date was on a Friday... so be it if need be... but my fiance's coworkers from Japan will all be here in Florida the 2nd week of January so if we scheduled it for that weekend it would work perfectly... otherwise they won't be coming to the wedding for sure.

My application was approved, now I wait to get my case number from NVC. Now, once I have that I can get the ball rolling on a lot of things before the packet goes from the NVC to the embassy. I have already prepared my DS-160, the D-2001 or something, have my GSS registration started( Need the NVC number to complete), have my I134 financial form complete and signed with tax transcripts. Just have to date and attach some current pay stubs a week before the interview. I am as ready to go as I can be. Check out the portals for your embassy because once I have the NVC case number I can get packet 3 ready, and kinda move things along ahead of schedule because the embassy has all the Packet 3 and 4 available online. I am hoping to shave a few weeks off the process by getting ahead by not waiting for the NVC letter. I plan to call and Pry my case number from a customer service person there. I am hoping to pull this off in the next 4 weeks. Then minimum another 6 to the actual interview I hope. Did police report back in March, have that, started vaccinations back in March, and the last series of shots are in September, then hopefully pull off the medical exam, then the interview. Fingers crossed she can fly back with me the end of November, that's my goal, and that's about 4 months from today's date. So I am hoping I have some leeway since I got NOA2 earlier than expected, and I am doing my best. I was just working on some more Relationship evidence for my fiancee to take to her interview. I am putting together a little packet from my last visit in March with Passport stamps, boarding passes, and some photos. I'm keeping this one light because I front loaded the hell out of my I129F with stuff from 3 visits before I even filed for the I129f. I am hoping they choke on it at the embassy and just say here's your visa please leave. LOL Check on the Japan forums and see what people are saying to kinda get a feel for how long it takes for different stages. It's kinda hard to find recent posts, but sort thru what you can find, and try to find 2017, 2018 posts. I have seen posts from 2011 that say K1 was done and they were together and married in 6 months, no such luck now. I am not sure how the Japan embassy works, but I have never heard of an embassy calling someone and saying " Hey, were a little ahead of schedule, if you could be down here in 30 minutes lets get this interview done" It's a government agency, I have yet to see one that works harder than need be. I am sure if someone cancels or rescheduled they are in no hurry to fill that slot with someone else. That just means an extra break for them.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

As others have said, make no financial commitments prior to having the visa in hand.  One thing to consider, once the visa is received it is valid for six months, so it is possible to take some time and plan a nice wedding prior to the POE.  I realize most couples want immediate togetherness, but it is tough moving halfway around the world in some cases without needing some time to shore up their lives as there will be no real means to re-enter the US if a K1 recipient leaves after marriage for four to five months.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Planing is fine. Just don't commit to anything that you aren't able/willing to move to a new date.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
12 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

As others have said, make no financial commitments prior to having the visa in hand.  One thing to consider, once the visa is received it is valid for six months, so it is possible to take some time and plan a nice wedding prior to the POE.  I realize most couples want immediate togetherness, but it is tough moving halfway around the world in some cases without needing some time to shore up their lives as there will be no real means to re-enter the US if a K1 recipient leaves after marriage for four to five months.

Good Luck!

I thought you can leave with a special situation... i forget the process but after the wedding we apply for green card and then during that process we apply for expedited ... my fiance's son graduates college in April And USCIS said we can apply for a special document that will permit her to go to his graduation. and then come back.

I don't remember the name of the form or what it's called.

1 minute ago, Zumbadaddy said:

I thought you can leave with a special situation... i forget the process but after the wedding we apply for green card and then during that process we apply for expedited ... my fiance's son graduates college in April And USCIS said we can apply for a special document that will permit her to go to his graduation. and then come back.

I don't remember the name of the form or what it's called.

Advance Parole (AP). However, this is taking ~3-6 months from filing, and you must file for it at the same time or after filing for AOS.

Emergency AP is available on an as-needed basis, but to attend a graduation would certainly not fall under that.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Planing is fine. Just don't commit to anything that you aren't able/willing to move to a new date.

^^THIS^^  There have been plenty of people here who were burned after paying huge non-refundable deposits.  There are just too many variables in this process.

RFEs

Administrative Processing

Delayed/Lost delivery of Visa

Mistakes on the Visa

Torn (sealed) Packet

Chances are everything will go fine, but things like have happened......Good Luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

^^THIS^^  There have been plenty of people here who were burned after paying huge non-refundable deposits.  There are just too many variables in this process.

RFEs

Administrative Processing

Delayed/Lost delivery of Visa

Mistakes on the Visa

Torn (sealed) Packet

Chances are everything will go fine, but things like have happened......Good Luck.

Thanks Tex... Yes we have put it all on hold... I'm really hoping it does go smoothly but yes I understand...

OK so what about once the visa is approved and applying for the marriage license... doesn't that take several weeks?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I would definitely not put down any deposits or have set plans just yet. Speaking from personal experience, noa1 to noa2 took us 4 months however after that our case went into "administrative processing" and our interview ended up being FIVE months after the approval! So you really never know what could happen in this weird system. Good luck to you guys!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In Georgia it only takes a couple of days. My fiancee entered October 14 and we were married in simple ceremony on Oct 18. Check at your local state or county office for marriage license regulations.

Not that it happens often, but your fiancee can still be refused entry at POE. Visa in hand does not guarantee entry into the country. Not a happy thought but that is the rule. The customs officer will decide if your fiancee is let through immigration.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zumbadaddy said:

Thanks Tex... Yes we have put it all on hold... I'm really hoping it does go smoothly but yes I understand...

OK so what about once the visa is approved and applying for the marriage license... doesn't that take several weeks?

You can apply for a marriage license immediately after she enters the US.  I guess there are different waiting periods in different states.  Non-citizens don't have to have SSNs, just passports and maybe birth certificate (in English).  I see that you plan to marry in January. Then you have to file the paperwork for AOS/EAD/AP.  Getting an approved AP for her to return to Japan in April will be cutting it close...very close.....current average time from filing for AP to approval as reported by VJ members is about 130 days.  Your mileage may vary......

image.png.59d47dacbf6e35c9e7414f8846553baa.png

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.