Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I left from Ottawa.

They asked who I was visiting, I said my fiance.

They asked how long I was staying, I said a month.

They asked if I was employed and I said no, that my contract for my job had just ended.

They asked where I was staying.

They asked for proof of residence (I had to show my driver's license)

They asked to see my return ticket.

They told me what date I needed to return by (6 months)

Nothing extensive, just more than I usually received. It was no problem, though. But he might have just been in a good mood that day, who knows. :)

ok preparedness is everything...I believe I will do the Buffalo route...wish me luck, I will be be visiting for 5 weeks so hopefully we will get some word on our NOA2 while we are together.

Edited by NinoniAndBoosBoos

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wanted to share that I've been here in the US for over a week now on my tourist visa! I went through immigration fairly easily; I travelled with my folks.

The POE officer went through our passports, noticed that I was went in 6 months ago, and asked me what I do for a living. That was it! I carried proof of ties to my country but he didn't ask for them. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to share that I've been here in the US for over a week now on my tourist visa! I went through immigration fairly easily; I travelled with my folks.

The POE officer went through our passports, noticed that I was went in 6 months ago, and asked me what I do for a living. That was it! I carried proof of ties to my country but he didn't ask for them. :)

I pray I get a wonderful POE officer and it is as easy, have a wonderful stay in the US!!!! Happy V. Day today, cherish the time you have and good luck.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I pray I get a wonderful POE officer and it is as easy, have a wonderful stay in the US!!!! Happy V. Day today, cherish the time you have and good luck.

Thank you! Im crossing my fingers you get a great POE officer too! :) Happy Valentines day!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

My fiancee Daniel is from Chile, he had to be persistent and argue a bit to get the visa to come here. Daniel was able to show several ties, a business, property, autos and 2 sons, one of which is listed on the k1 petition. Eventually the lady in Santiago gave him a visitors visa for 2 weeks, in february to Dallas Texas.

Daniel arrived in Dallas yesterday, valentine's day and thank God they let him in without any problems whatsoever. They asked him why he was visiting and he said, to visit my highschool sweetheart. That was the only question, they didn't ask to see any paperwork.

Needless to say this is the best Valentines day ever!

2/1980 – foreign exchange student to Santiago Chile

3/80 – Met Daniel at school

4/80 – we became high school sweethearts

2/81 – returned to the USA, Daniel arrived late at the airport to say goodbye

1981 – 2009 - Life happens. We both married others and divorced

7/23/2009 – Daniel found me via classmates.com

9/18/09 – Traveled to Chile to spend time with Daniel

10/09 – engaged!!

11/10/09 – returned to the USA

1/10 – Daniel began gathering his paperwork to start the K1

2/10 – earthquake in Chile delays everything

3/10 – went to Chile for less than a week

6/10 – received Daniels paperwork, started preparing K1

7/10 – K1 refused due to typo

8/12/10 – received NOA1!!

2/2/2011 - Received NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

event.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My visits have gone like this:

Adam lives in Derby, England. I, Michele, live in Detroit MI. We filed our I-129F April 12, 2007.

November 3, 2006 - November 13, 2006:

Adam visits me for the first time. He entered at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, and was asked simply his reason for visit (visit a friend), where he was staying (hotel), length of visit (ten days), and to see his itinerary showing his flight back home. No proof of ties to England requested. Welcome to America.

January 3, 2007 - January 22, 2007

Adam visits for second time, entering again at Detroit, MI. Asked same questions, answered 'reason for visit' this time as 'to be with my girlfriend' and was told he can't marry me while he's here, that would be a violation. Adam assures officer he won't. Asked how he could afford to visit again so soon, replied 'using student loan money'. No proof of ties to England requested. Welcome to America.

February 13, 2007 - February 20, 2007.

Michele goes to England. Depart Detroit, arrive at Gatwick, UK. Asked reason for visit (visit boyfriend), length of visit (one week), and where I'd be staying (hotel). I too was told sternly I couldn't marry Adam while I was there. Promised I wouldn't. No proof of anything requested. Welcome to England!

February 21, 2007 - Current (Adam will leave May 20, 2007)

Adam arrives at Detroit MI. Was asked usual 'reason for visit, length of visit' questions. Answered 'to see girlfriend, 3 months'. Was asked about his employment and housing in England, answered that he left his job but it was being held for when he gets back, and that he lives with his mother. Officer apparently thinks something fishy, converses with several other officers, Adam ends up in 'interview room'. Was asked same questions, answered same truthfully. Was asked to describe Michele, how we met, what Michele does for a living. Customs calls Michele at work and asks if Michele knows Adam, what is relationship to him, etc. Answered yes, he's my boyfriend. Call ends. Luggage searched, and laptop plugged in to read emails we've sent back and forth. Officers satisifed we knew each other. Passport stamped, approved for full three month visit. Was advised again not to get married while here (yeah, we know!) Side note, as Adam was leaving, one guard asked the other "so that guy is okay?" Other guard answers, "yeah, he's just in love." No "proof" of ties was requested. Questions were asked, but no paper produced. Welcome to America.

Hey, thanks so much for this post. I'm visiting my husband in May he is a USC and im from London. I can't believe they searched his laptop!!!

And read his emails!!! Can i ask, did they force him to sign into his email and then read them or they just looked through the laptop without any permission?

Any advice please!

(shireenhanson@gmail.com)

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm visiting my fiancé in just over two weeks, staying for seven weeks.

so so so so nervous about the POE, don't have many ties to Australia that I can show, I live with my parents, currently unemployed - Job ended a few weeks ago, I do help my dad out with his work though (He's an IT Tech at a school and sometimes I go with him to help out (He's self employed though so I can't get a letter from the school as proof)) and I'm getting unemployment payments from the government right now (Going to tell them on Monday about my trip) and will probably have to go see them once I return to Australia. Would a letter from my dad and maybe proof of an appointment at the government office be enough proof that I -do- intend to return and that we -are- doing the K1 visa (aka the legal way) and I don't intend on staying?

Just worried because when I traveled to the US before (Nov 2010) the officer in LAX asked what I was doing there, and I just said "Visiting friends" (Which is true, but I was mainly there to see my boyfriend (now fiancé) and stayed with him the entire time, I didn't bring him up though incase they questioned me (first time flyer back then!)) - but obviously now a K1 visa is in progress, I might come up on their screen.

So so so nervous :( ugh. :help:

30th March 2011 - I-129F sent!

8th April 2011 - NOA1 Hardcopy recieved.

24th June 2011 - NOA2!!! [80 days]

30th June 2011 - NOA2 Hardcopy received.

27th July 2011 - Packet 3 instructions emailed to me!

27th July 2011 - Get my Police check done. 3-4 weeks? omg!

19th August 2011 - Medical!

22nd August 2011 - Medical results, passed!

29th August 2011 - i-134's arrived! Waiting on Police check. Emailed Consulate to see if they have it. :/

15th September 2011 - Finally send off packet 3! Neighbour stole first police check, form in i-134 was wrong and had to be resent, but it's all FINALLY on its way to Sydney! :)

22nd September 2011 - Packet 4 Received!

25th October 2011 - INTERVIEW! Eek!

25th October 2011 - Approved! :) Just need to mail my LONG birth certificate out so they can verify it and send the visa. Lol.

26th October 2011 - Birth certificate arrived in Sydney. Now to wait for my visa!!! :)

1st November 2011 - Visa Recieved!! :)

30th November 2011 - POE

19th January 2012 - Wedding

3rd February 2012 - Applied for SSN in maiden name

10th February 2012 - SSN arrived in mail

14th September 2012: Finally have the money saved up for AOS after a tough year. Going to start paperwork soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

I flew into JFK on May 6 of this month and it really made me question whether they see pending visa petitions. We had filed in January and were waiting for our NOA2 when I came to visit (we actually got approved while I was there) and the CO did not ask me anything. And if I say anything, I mean that. Only a "hi", then took and scanned my passport, stamped my Customs Declarations, took fingerprints of the 4 fingers of my right hand (no right thumb, no fingers of my left hand, no picture) and then shoved the passport back at me and said "bye, bye". Seriously, that's the only things he said and I was, of course, in shock...pleasantly, but I had expected him to ask something at least. So I dunno if he was just in a good mood or if they really can't see pending visa petitions... :unsure:

Edited by Caroline + Angelo

K1 Visa Timeline
01-12-2011 Sent out I-129F packet to Lewisville, TX, via Fedex
01-18-2011 NOA1
01-24-2011 NOA1 hard copy received in the mail [dated 01-18-2011]
05-12-2011 NOA2 (approved in 114 days)
05-18-2011 NVC received, new case number assigned
05-20-2011 NVC left
06-01-2011 Embassy received
06-06-2011 Packet 3 sent
06-10-2011 Packet 4 received
07-21-2011 Interview at 9:30am - APPROVED!!
07-29-2011 Visa in hand
10-02-2011 Wedding

AOS Timeline
10-04-2011 Sent out AOS, EAD and AP application via UPS Overnight to Chicago, IL
10-05-2011 AOS application delivered @ 9:22am
10-07-2011 E-Notification via Email and Text @ 5:37pm for AOS, EAD and AP
10-26-2011 Biometrics Appointment
10-31-2011 AOS transferred to CSC
12-06-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - GC approved!!!!!!! (in 63 days)
12-07-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - EAD and AP approved (in 64 days)
12-12-2011 GREEN CARD rec'vd in mail!!!

Removing Conditions Timeline

10-19-2013 Sent out I-751 petition via USPS Priority Express

10-21-2013 I-751 petition delivered @ 12:12pm

10-25-2013 NOA received in the mail [dated 10-22-2013]

11-22-2013 Case transferred to CSC

02-05-2014 Card production ordered

I'm visiting my fiancé in just over two weeks, staying for seven weeks.

so so so so nervous about the POE, don't have many ties to Australia that I can show, I live with my parents, currently unemployed - Job ended a few weeks ago, I do help my dad out with his work though (He's an IT Tech at a school and sometimes I go with him to help out (He's self employed though so I can't get a letter from the school as proof)) and I'm getting unemployment payments from the government right now (Going to tell them on Monday about my trip) and will probably have to go see them once I return to Australia. Would a letter from my dad and maybe proof of an appointment at the government office be enough proof that I -do- intend to return and that we -are- doing the K1 visa (aka the legal way) and I don't intend on staying?

Just worried because when I traveled to the US before (Nov 2010) the officer in LAX asked what I was doing there, and I just said "Visiting friends" (Which is true, but I was mainly there to see my boyfriend (now fiancé) and stayed with him the entire time, I didn't bring him up though incase they questioned me (first time flyer back then!)) - but obviously now a K1 visa is in progress, I might come up on their screen.

So so so nervous :( ugh. :help:

I can't really say whether what you have will suffice, but I would additionally take a copy of your NOA1 and maybe even a cope of the whole I-129F package, to show proof that you are going the correct, legal way and are serious about this.

K1 Visa Timeline
01-12-2011 Sent out I-129F packet to Lewisville, TX, via Fedex
01-18-2011 NOA1
01-24-2011 NOA1 hard copy received in the mail [dated 01-18-2011]
05-12-2011 NOA2 (approved in 114 days)
05-18-2011 NVC received, new case number assigned
05-20-2011 NVC left
06-01-2011 Embassy received
06-06-2011 Packet 3 sent
06-10-2011 Packet 4 received
07-21-2011 Interview at 9:30am - APPROVED!!
07-29-2011 Visa in hand
10-02-2011 Wedding

AOS Timeline
10-04-2011 Sent out AOS, EAD and AP application via UPS Overnight to Chicago, IL
10-05-2011 AOS application delivered @ 9:22am
10-07-2011 E-Notification via Email and Text @ 5:37pm for AOS, EAD and AP
10-26-2011 Biometrics Appointment
10-31-2011 AOS transferred to CSC
12-06-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - GC approved!!!!!!! (in 63 days)
12-07-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - EAD and AP approved (in 64 days)
12-12-2011 GREEN CARD rec'vd in mail!!!

Removing Conditions Timeline

10-19-2013 Sent out I-751 petition via USPS Priority Express

10-21-2013 I-751 petition delivered @ 12:12pm

10-25-2013 NOA received in the mail [dated 10-22-2013]

11-22-2013 Case transferred to CSC

02-05-2014 Card production ordered

Timeline

I can't really say whether what you have will suffice, but I would additionally take a copy of your NOA1 and maybe even a cope of the whole I-129F package, to show proof that you are going the correct, legal way and are serious about this.

My fiance has the copy of the I-129F package, and was going to send it to me once we had the NOA2, so I can't bring that. I'll be bringing a copy of the NOA1, a letter from my dad, his mom, and also notes of the appointment I have for the doctors when I get back, as well as the government appointment. The letter from his mom basically says I'll be staying there with her and him, and that we're doing this the legal way and have no intention of getting married while I'm there on vacation.

Just hoping I get a nice POE officer who's in a good mood! I leave in ten days so I'll write about the POE when I can!

Thanks for the help though :) I wasn't sure if the NOA1 would be a good thing to take, but I think it would be after your suggestion :lol:

29th August 2011 - i-134's arrived! Waiting on Police check. Emailed Consulate to see if they have it. :/

15th September 2011 - Finally send off packet 3! Neighbour stole first police check, form in i-134 was wrong and had to be resent, but it's all FINALLY on its way to Sydney! :)

25th October 2011 - Approved! :) Just need to mail my LONG birth certificate out so they can verify it and send the visa. Lol.

26th October 2011 - Birth certificate arrived in Sydney. Now to wait for my visa!!! :)

30th November 2011 - POE

14th September 2012: Finally have the money saved up for AOS after a tough year. Going to start paperwork soon.

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just an update on my POE...!

Landed in LAX yesterday, had all my proof ready, letter from my fiancé's mom, copy of NOA1 etc...

The man just looked at me, asked if I was here on vacation, I said yes (If he asked more question I was prepared to tell him I'm visiting my fiancé, but he didn't), took my fingerprints, took my photo. He asked me if I was going to Vegas and I said no (No idea why he asked that, since on the customs form I clearly wrote I was going to Wisconsin). He said "Have a nice vacation" stamped my passport and I was on my way.

He did seem to spend ages scrolling down his screen though (Could see him scrolling his mouse) as if looking at something, not sure what, but hey, I got in no worries so it doesn't bother me!

Was worrying for nothing! :rofl:

30th November 2011 - POE

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been to the US numerous times over the past few years. My POE has always been the YYC airport. Sometimes my fiance is with me but lately, I have been traveling alone to see him. We filed back in December and since then I've gone to see him once earlier this year in March. I am going to fly out tomorrow to see him, actually. Just for further info, I always pack light and my trips never exceed 14-15 days. I have not yet been pulled into secondary--and I hope I never do. It would be incredibly difficult for me to remember all the questions I've been asked at POE but it usually goes like this:

- Purpose of trip?

- Length of trip?

- Who are visiting?

- Where are you staying?

- What's your occupation?

- What's his occupation?

Only twice has the conversation gone beyond those questions. The first time the officer explained to me that I needed to file a K1 Fiance visa (we were planning to and gathering our documents at the time but hadn't filled out any forms yet). The second time the officer told me about the K1 process and even he admitted it takes a long time and it's a frustrating wait.

I am hoping for a very uneventful time tomorrow as I anticipate this will be the last time I have to go visit my fiance in the US before I get my NOA2 and go the steps necessary to get my K1 Visa. Fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

THank you very much for updating your experience. I'm going to visit my fiance under the VWP and I'm getting too nervous. Even having nightmares of me at the POE. I'm bringing my return ticket (flying to Fresno but coming back to Spain from Dallas -roadtrip-), a letter from my employer and the original NOA1. I don't know what else I should bring...

I'm glad that everything went well. We don't deserve being so stressed. We're not criminals..

Congratulations guys!!

Just an update on my POE...!

Landed in LAX yesterday, had all my proof ready, letter from my fiancé's mom, copy of NOA1 etc...

The man just looked at me, asked if I was here on vacation, I said yes (If he asked more question I was prepared to tell him I'm visiting my fiancé, but he didn't), took my fingerprints, took my photo. He asked me if I was going to Vegas and I said no (No idea why he asked that, since on the customs form I clearly wrote I was going to Wisconsin). He said "Have a nice vacation" stamped my passport and I was on my way.

He did seem to spend ages scrolling down his screen though (Could see him scrolling his mouse) as if looking at something, not sure what, but hey, I got in no worries so it doesn't bother me!

Was worrying for nothing! :rofl:

event.png

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I must say that this thread scared me and comforted me before I visited the US back in March. Someone had told me that I couldn't visit, so I looked on here and prepared myself the best I could.

I am an unemployed student, and at the time of my first trip (three weeks in march 2011) had pretty much cut all ties with my university. Finding evidence to bring was very hard. I cant even remember what I brought cause I was never asked about anything! That POE was Salt Lake City. I was asked if I was visiting friends and I said yes. He asked for my return information. The officer then stamped me and took my picture, was very nice and complimented my glasses. That was it!

The second trip I entered at Newarkand wasn't asked any questions at all. I wasn't even asked for my return itinerary, I offered it to the officer and he just said he didn't need to see it. I was surprised because this trip was 6 weeks long, and only 6 weeks after my last trip. The NOA2 arrived a during my trip,I don't think they have a register of whats going on, certainly for the petition stage anyway.

Both times I entered under visa waiver programme as a UK citizen.

I freaked out about this for ages before my trips, running around looking for evidence. Genuinely believing that I wouldn't get past security. My advice would be to be prepared and don't volunteer information unless asked.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2011-02-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-03-01

I-129F RFE(s) : 2011-06-04

RFE Reply(s) : 2011-06-07

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-17

Packet 3 Received : 2011-08-01

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-08-10

Packet 4 Received : 2011-09-08

Interview Date : 2011-09-26 APPROVED

Visa in Hand : 2011-09-30 9.20am

POE (salt lake city) : 2011-10-06

wedding : 2011-11-01

Its almost over!!!

My fiance visited me twice after filing the I-129F(Note: he visited many times before hand). Both times his POE was in JFK and was somewhat painless. His first trip post NOA1 the officer made him hold his breath for a minute because before he stamped his passport he said, "You'll remember me 10 years from now when you look back on this day" *pause* "You'll be sitting on your sofa with your American wife and you'll hear me saying, 'Don't get involved with American women'" *STAMP* He was in shock and just said "Uh Cheers." That scared him :rofl:

His second trip the guy just stamped him through BUT he did get tugged at customs. A British Airways woman asked his name and where he was sat on the plane. At the same time a customs agent asked him the same. He said his name but blanked on his seat number. The woman walked off and started talking on a walkie and the customs agent said to another one take him :help: He proceeded to get searched and asked questions about what he had on him. Just as he started to feel round his bag the woman and the first customs agent came over and said "It's not him, He's clean." :blink: Then they all just walked off. He was like, "Can I go?" They were like, "Yup, Enjoy your stay!" That was probably the weirdest entry he ever had :hehe:

7y6qm4.png
.....................................................................................................................................................
ROC Journey
09/23/13 - Sent I-751 Packet

09/27/13 - Received NOA1

10/07/13 - Received Biometrics Letter, appt sched for 10/31

10/09/13 - Received Transfer Notice. Case transferred to CSC Dated 10/08/13

10/31/13 - Attended Biometrics

02/18/14 - Approved!

02/26/14- 10 Year GC received!! exp. 2024!!

.....................................................................................................................................................

AOS Journey
8/13/11 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131 Petitions off together
8/18/11 - Received Email NOA1 for all three petitions
8/24/11 - Received Biometrics Appointment
9/13/11 - Had Biometrics Appointment
10/19/11 - EAD/AP Approval Text/Email / 10/27/11 - EAD/AP Card Received in Mail!
11/18/11 - Interview Text/Email for Dec 21st!
12/21/11 - Interviewed & APPROVED!
12/27/11 - Welcome to USA Letter & GC Received!!

K-1 Visa Journey
1/06/11 - Mailed I-129F to Texas Lockbox
1/07/11 - Packet received and sent on to VT
1/10/11 - NOA1 / 1/14/11 - NOA1 arrived by mail
5/09/11 - NOA2!! (Took 119 Days) / 5/12/11 - NOA2 arrived by mail
5/17/11 - NVC Received
5/18/11 - NVC Sent
5/20/11 - Embassy Received
6/11/11 - Packet 3 Sent
6/14/11 - Packet 3 signed for by someone called "KOKO"
6/15/11 - Medical / 6/20/11 - Medical Logged
6/23/11 - Packet 3 Logged
6/30/11 - Packet 4 Received (with original interview date of 7/25)
7/04/11 - Packet 4 Received (with new interview date of 7/13)
7/13/11 - Interview!! APPROVED!!!
7/15/11 - Visa in Hand
7/29/11 - POE JFK

8/06/11 - Wedding Day!
heart.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.