catiemeow

Out Status, Wants to Marry a USC. Same sex marriage.

36 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, milimelo said:

If this doesn’t scream fraud I don’t know what does. Married with three kids overstaying his visa. Realizing he can’t stay any longer finds a male usc and claims love to attempt getting GC through same sex marriage. Then he’ll dump him after getting GC and filing for his PI family. 

I feel bad for legitimate gay folks who fought hard to get same sex marriage approved as this guy is totally working against them (and for his own personal interests). 

Op, tell your friend to man up and go back to his wife and children. 

I can't judge them. I came here to ask the questions that I dont have the answer for them as you can see it's more complicated than most of us. I went through this whirlwind process back in 2008. 

I will however tell him that going through with this process is not a joke.

2 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

Just one question. You mention he still is married to his wife in the Philippines and has 3 kids together. And now he found love with a man. Is this person an USC?

I honestly do wonder how immigration see this kind of situations. Out of status man living in the US (still married to a woman in another country and with children together). What I mean is that your friend will probably have to prove (after he divorces first spouse of course) that this new relationship is real and not to gain immigration status. Considering he is out of status right now in the US.

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

And also that he doesn't plan to marry, get a green card, then divorce and marry the first wife and bring her to the US. This is a common scam tactic.

I'm in no way implying that's the case with the OP. Just that it is something they will consider because people have tried to abuse the system this way.

Well I mean yes I understand the scepticism. But I can also see how someone from a more traditional society may have been in the closet for so long and now feels able to fully express himself. American men and women have done this too of course, suddenly come out after years of being married with kids. 

i didn’t actually wonder so mich about the gay bit as about whether it is a green card marriage. Either way yes there will be scrutiny as to how genuine the relationship is.

something else to consider, assuming this is a genuine relationship and they manage to get married and the guy eventually is able to file for naturalization: he is going to have to show that he has continued to support his kids as part of showing good moral character. Do you know if he sends them money? And has a record of it?

52 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well I mean yes I understand the scepticism. But I can also see how someone from a more traditional society may have been in the closet for so long and now feels able to fully express himself. American men and women have done this too of course, suddenly come out after years of being married with kids. 

i didn’t actually wonder so mich about the gay bit as about whether it is a green card marriage. Either way yes there will be scrutiny as to how genuine the relationship is.

something else to consider, assuming this is a genuine relationship and they manage to get married and the guy eventually is able to file for naturalization: he is going to have to show that he has continued to support his kids as part of showing good moral character. Do you know if he sends them money? And has a record of it?

He came clean to me that he has been feeling that he's gay for a long time. But because of his family who are quite prominent in our province, it would cause quite a controversy. So when he came to the US to work, I believe that's when he felt free from his sexuality. 

Supporting the kids is not an issue. He sends money every month and also they have businesses in the Phils which provide a comfortable life. Needless to say,  I feel bad for him that people look at him this way that he is just using the gay guy to obtain a status. I know both of them and they seem to have really genuine relationship. 

Back in college, my friend has always been a happy person, such a ham. 

But if they do get married, I wish them luck. 

You may be right, that he came out of the closet upon moving to the US. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, catiemeow said:

Supporting the kids is not an issue. He sends money every month

Make sure he retains some sort of proof of this.  If your friend ever reaches the N400 stage, he's going to need it.

First step is for him to obtain a legal divorce if he wishes to marry the new man.  He should not apply for any marriage-based GC before that is finalized.

Also keep in mind that him being out of status makes him deportable at any time.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, catiemeow said:

He came clean to me that he has been feeling that he's gay for a long time. But because of his family who are quite prominent in our province, it would cause quite a controversy. So when he came to the US to work, I believe that's when he felt free from his sexuality. 

Supporting the kids is not an issue. He sends money every month and also they have businesses in the Phils which provide a comfortable life. Needless to say,  I feel bad for him that people look at him this way that he is just using the gay guy to obtain a status. I know both of them and they seem to have really genuine relationship. 

Back in college, my friend has always been a happy person, such a ham. 

But if they do get married, I wish them luck. 

You may be right, that he came out of the closet upon moving to the US. 

You seem to know so much about this your friend or are you the Philippino?

Just asking 

11 minutes ago, Abies said:

You seem to know so much about this your friend or are you the Philippino?

Just asking 

No. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
13 hours ago, catiemeow said:

You have a good point. 

My friend is the Filipino Citizen, he is with a USC. 

They would then go a lot of scrutiny. That's totally understandable.

Thanks for your response. 

I'm not judging your friend or anything. Just wondering if the USCIS will consider his present/past choice life. I mean he does have a wife and 3 kids in another country and he is out of status living in the US and claiming love to a guy that happens to be USC and thru that future marriage (after he divorces his wife) he can get a legal status again. Anybody could see a potential red flag here. And it's very likely USCIS will take this into consideration at one point.

Filed: Timeline

Many people come out of the closet later in life after being in heterosexual relationships, marriages, and having children.

For example; my sister was married with three kids.  After her divorce, she came out of the closet.  As an American, the decision to come out the closet was difficult.  Coming out to her Catholic Asian family was hell since many people told her she was evil.  

The PI is very Catholic.  What do you think it's like for gays there?  Before you judge this as fake, consider that being gay in the US is very different from being gay in the PI.  In some countries, being gay can mean death.  Some people have to live lies until they can freely be gay without persecution.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Catiemeow, you are a Filipino or Filipina (or at least your flag says so) - isn't divorce illegal in PI?  Won't he have to get an annulment instead?  And isn't that pretty hard when you have three kids?

Tell your friend he has to clean up what he has left behind in PI first.  THEN go down the marriage-to-a-USC path.  Otherwise, it will get messy, and your friend may be kicked out the US (or he will be anyway if he is caught).

I'm sorry for the tough answers.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

3 minutes ago, Sukie said:

Catiemeow, you are a Filipino or Filipina (or at least your flag says so) - isn't divorce illegal in PI?  Won't he have to get an annulment instead?  And isn't that pretty hard when you have three kids?

He can divorce in the US and that's fine for the US immigration-wise.

While in the Philippines, the second marriage can be an issue if discovered/reported.

An annulment would be the cleanest solution, although that can take 6 months to a couple years. And it's not easy.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

He can divorce in the US and that's fine for the US immigration-wise.

While in the Philippines, the second marriage can be an issue if discovered/reported.

An annulment would be the cleanest solution, although that can take 6 months to a couple years. And it's not easy.

If his family/wife's family is prominent in their area, then I feel for the guy.  He might never be able to return to PI!  Thanks for the info, Geowrian.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ridiculously impossible 

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Raleigh NC
Date Filed : 2020-10-03
NOA Date : 2020-10-03
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date :  
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments : INA 328 and 329 [ Military ] 

1 hour ago, Sukie said:

If his family/wife's family is prominent in their area, then I feel for the guy.  He might never be able to return to PI!  Thanks for the info, Geowrian.

Sukie in NY

Because of the divorce or because he’s gay?

4 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Many people come out of the closet later in life after being in heterosexual relationships, marriages, and having children.

For example; my sister was married with three kids.  After her divorce, she came out of the closet.  As an American, the decision to come out the closet was difficult.  Coming out to her Catholic Asian family was hell since many people told her she was evil.  

The PI is very Catholic.  What do you think it's like for gays there?  Before you judge this as fake, consider that being gay in the US is very different from being gay in the PI.  In some countries, being gay can mean death.  Some people have to live lies until they can freely be gay without persecution.  

The Philippines while they don't accept same sex marriages are quite accepting of a gay lifestyle, at least in my experiences there, gay beauty contests are quite common

Filed: Timeline
36 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

The Philippines while they don't accept same sex marriages are quite accepting of a gay lifestyle, at least in my experiences there, gay beauty contests are quite common

Being gay in the big city is common where you can hide it from your family.  It's another thing for your family to know that you are gay.  I've met a lot of people who live this way; openly gay with friends in the city, but hiding it all when they return to the home village.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.