Chea

How can my fiance visit the US while awaiting the fiance visa to be approved.

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My fiance would love to visit me in the US but we don't know how to set that up. Would he apply for a visitors visa and if so how long will that take to get approved? Is it worth the hassle because I'm thinking of just visiting him again? I am new to this visa process so that's why these questions may sound crazy to some.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, he can apply for a visitors visa, although it is very risky at this stage, so to speak. He will have to show very very strong ties to his home country, since he already showed an immigrant intent by having an I-129f pending for approval.

Every country has a different waiting time for visitors visas, so I would suggest calling the nearest consulate and asking them for processing times. 

My advice though, would be for you, the USC to visit him, that way you don't risk getting denied a visitors visa and wasting your money.  Even if he does get a visitors visa, he would still risk getting turned away at the port of entry. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, AnaidAaron said:

Yes, he can apply for a visitors visa, although it is very risky at this stage, so to speak. He will have to show very very strong ties to his home country, since he already showed an immigrant intent by having an I-129f pending for approval.

Every country has a different waiting time for visitors visas, so I would suggest calling the nearest consulate and asking them for processing times. 

My advice though, would be for you, the USC to visit him, that way you don't risk getting denied a visitors visa and wasting your money.  Even if he does get a visitors visa, he would still risk getting turned away at the port of entry. 

Ok! Thank You so much! I will take your advice! I don't want any delays or a denial. Thanks again

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like @AnaidAaron said.. of course he can try to apply for a tourist visa; but depending on how hard it is in general to begin with from his country to obtain one, then ad the processing of an I-129f petition for a K-1, unless he has substantial ties to his home country he most likely will be denied. If denied though, as long as he doesn't lie(misrepresent) himself, the denial will have no affect on the K-1 process. People on here are denied tourist visas all the time.

Like also, probably easier for you to go see him. 

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

no question is crazy 

but as soon as he tells CO at interview he wishes to visit gf,  there will be a denial as they assume he willl come and adjust status to stay

visit him or get together in another country

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Like @AnaidAaron said.. of course he can try to apply for a tourist visa; but depending on how hard it is in general to begin with from his country to obtain one, then ad the processing of an I-129f petition for a K-1, unless he has substantial ties to his home country he most likely will be denied. If denied though, as long as he doesn't lie(misrepresent) himself, the denial will have no affect on the K-1 process. People on here are denied tourist visas all the time.

Like also, probably easier for you to go see him. 

Ok will do Thanks

Timeline
17 minutes ago, kris&me said:

no question is crazy 

but as soon as he tells CO at interview he wishes to visit gf,  there will be a denial as they assume he willl come and adjust status to stay

I understand Thank You so much

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Best to go visit him. He would need a tourist visa, and he'd be denied for one, almost certainly.

My fiance is in Canada and comes to visit for a long weekend every 3 weeks, but its an entirely different situation.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Other Timeline

I had the same question. My fiancé is trying to visit from Lebanon and we keep getting mixed results with the answers :/

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

If somebody already has a travel document (i.e. visa, ESTA, Canadian passport, etc.), then entering on that is usually not an issue during the process. It may raise some scrutiny of your ties to return home, but many people do this every day without issue.

If you need to apply for a tourist visa with a pending I-129F, then it creates a very, very high bar to overcome. A tourist visa has a presumption of immigrant intent that must be overcome (see INA 214(b)). A pending I-129F implies that you intent to live in the US. It creates a very difficult situation and the CO will almost certainly not take the risk.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
20 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

Best to go visit him. He would need a tourist visa, and he'd be denied for one, almost certainly.

My fiance is in Canada and comes to visit for a long weekend every 3 weeks, but its an entirely different situation.

Honestly, I wish he was as close to me as Canada this would make traveling so much easier! :(

Timeline
11 hours ago, cduran said:

I had the same question. My fiancé is trying to visit from Lebanon and we keep getting mixed results with the answers :/

I would just follow everyone else advice and just go visit your fiance. Its harder for peoples to get in the US than to get out. I'm looking at flights to Turkey now!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Chea said:

Honestly, I wish he was as close to me as Canada this would make traveling so much easier! :(

We are one of the lucky ones. The LONGEST we've ever not seen each other in the past 2 and a half years is 6 weeks, and that was only one time. Typically, he drives down every 3 weeks, and on occasion, even more. a week and a half after i leave canada in a few weeks, hell be down here for us to go to a concert lol.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
28 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If somebody already has a travel document (i.e. visa, ESTA, Canadian passport, etc.), then entering on that is usually not an issue during the process. It may raise some scrutiny of your ties to return home, but many people do this every day without issue.

If you need to apply for a tourist visa with a pending I-129F, then it creates a very, very high bar to overcome. A tourist visa has a presumption of immigrant intent that must be overcome (see INA 214(b)). A pending I-129F implies that you intent to live in the US. It creates a very difficult situation and the CO will almost certainly not take the risk.

Yeah, I have decided not to take the chance. I want the K1 to go smoothly so I will just book my trip to go see him. Thanks

Timeline
21 hours ago, kris&me said:

no question is crazy 

Thank You so much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.