Pomodoro

Applying for SSN before Marriage and AOS for K1

56 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Jon&Margz said:

In years past - having a SS# was required prior to obtaining an EAD.   As of Oct 2017:  "

the whole process just recently got easier, combining the above two steps into one. Now, when you apply for your EAD and fill out USCIS Form I-765, it has a new box, giving you the option of simultaneously applying for your EAD. (For details on how to fill out this form, see Filling Out Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.) This change was detailed in a USCIS announcement of October 2, 2017, in which the agency explains its new information-sharing partnership with the SSA. According to USCIS, after you receive your approved EAD from USCIS, you should later receive your Social Security card within another two weeks or so."

MY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION:  Get your SS Card as soon as you can. 

The I-765 form was updated last year to let you apply for the SSN alongside the EAD. But you absolutely could apply for an EAD without an SSN for at least years and years prior.

What would AOS filers from other statuses that didn't allow them an SSN beforehand (i.e. tourists) do? They would have no way to get an SSN or EAD before the green card (since they need an EAD to do so).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 minutes ago, Marcelina said:

Try to ask for the copy of DS- 3025 from your (useless) physician that did the K-1 med , it was his basic job to give you a copy of this document. Maybe it will be possible to obtain by email or something, rare but might happen. If no, you have to find an authorized physician and pay him to complete your I-693 :/

Marcelina, so the only thing we need to get is the vaccines approval form the doctor here. We don't need another envelope or medical results besides the vaccines? Thanks again. <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The I-765 form was updated last year to let you apply for the SSN alongside the EAD. But you absolutely could apply for an EAD without an SSN for at least years and years prior.

What would AOS filers from other statuses that didn't allow them an SSN beforehand (i.e. tourists) do? They would have no way to get an SSN or EAD before the green card (since they need an EAD to do so).

1) Open a bank account

2) Apply for Utility Services (or be added to an account)

3) Drivers License Application

4) File a tax return

5) One vital form of identification

All situations needing a social security #.   Again - my advice - get your SS# as soon as you can.  

Edited by Jon&Margz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Zjazzy said:

Marcelina, so the only thing we need to get is the vaccines approval form the doctor here. We don't need another envelope or medical results besides the vaccines? Thanks again. <3

I never personally read a lot about I-693 bcs I knew I won't need.

It seems it should only be a vaccination record made according to UCCIS policy in the right medical form.

This might be helpful:

Edited by Marcelina

6 minutes ago, Jon&Margz said:

1) Open a bank account

2) Drivers License Application

3) File a tax return

4) One vital form of identification

All situations needing a social security #.   Again - my advice - get your SS# as soon as you can.  

I agree that getting it sooner rather than later (really as soon as you can) is the way to go. But my remarks are directed at the the original statement that an SSN is needed to apply for an EAD.

1. Doesn't always require an SSN, (VJ users have done this without one, although many banks will require it).
  2. Requirement varies by state. Some don't require an SSN.
  3. Can use an ITIN for MFJ/MFS, or write-in "NRA" for MFS then amend it later to MFJ (if desired) once they get an SSN.
  4. Passport, visa, I-94, etc. are usually better forms of an ID than a card with only a name and number. Photo ID > non-photo ID.
  5. Edit: Utility bills usually don't require this. My own (cable, internet, gas, electric, and water) only have my name on it., I added my wife by calling and told them to add her name. Done deal.
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Zjazzy said:

AnaidAaron, I would think that using the passport is enough because it has the identification page and the K1 visa.  

44 minutes ago, Marcelina said:

For me, it was my passport and my K-1Visa.

One is issued by your origin country gov, other by US, both have a picture ;)

Thank you both! I thought since the K1 visa is a single entry, it becomes invalid after that and thus can't be used as an ID anymore, but I'm glad to hear you were able to use it as such.  

Timeline
22 minutes ago, AnaidAaron said:

Thank you both! I thought since the K1 visa is a single entry, it becomes invalid after that and thus can't be used as an ID anymore, but I'm glad to hear you were able to use it as such.  

Visa is valid 90 days as long as your I-94, you need your I-94 unexpired when applying for SSN. I think minimum is 14 days before expiration date but I’m not 100% 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So... when you complete your SS-5 form to you check "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work" option then?

NOA1 - May 22

NOA2 - Dec 1

NOA2 Hard copy received - Dec 6

NVC received - Jan 18

NVC Case # assigned - Jan 29

Embassy receives documents (NVC status is READY) - Jan 31 

Medical Exam - Feb 21

Interview - Feb 27

long wait due to government incompetence realized in 2 month testing for TB  

POE - May 22

I would apply asp and get the ball rolling, but that's no guarantee. It took my husband several visits, and even then there was an EIGHT WEEKS while they "verified" with DHS. Applying after is totally legal as well.

Edited by Daisy.Chain
Autocorrect

6 hours ago, Marcelina said:

Definitely try to apply before! It took me one visit, you need your passport, I-94, form is available at the office. You apply in your maiden name later visit again to change a name, taking all above and your marriage certificate (it’s all free of charge).

Just a reminder, changing the name is optional and life is much easier if you don't. 

2 hours ago, alik said:

So... when you complete your SS-5 form to you check "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work" option then?

"Legal Alien Allowed to Work" -> K-1 is permitted to get an EAD and therefore work (it's just not practical due to the timelines of actually getting it).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Just a reminder, changing the name is optional and life is much easier if you don't. 

Totally true, I changed mine bcs I can’t imagine living permanently in states with my maiden name, no one will say it properly.

And I had government issued ID in my married name right away so for me it’s quite easy ;) 

In some cultures (like mine) it’s just a custom you usually use your husband last name, so I do and I like it a lot :) 

23 minutes ago, Marcelina said:

Totally true, I changed mine bcs I can’t imagine living permanently in states with my maiden name, no one will say it properly.

And I had government issued ID in my married name right away so for me it’s quite easy ;) 

In some cultures (like mine) it’s just a custom you usually use your husband last name, so I do and I like it a lot :) 

Yes, but you can choose to not follow the custom and keep your name. It's entirely optional. Or the man can change his name. Immigration doesn't care. 

We got my husband's SSN number after marriage, but right before we applied for AOS (the following week after the wedding). We are still in AOS now, but having a SSN has been helpful. My husband got health insurance through the Affordable Care Act, joined my bank account, enrolled in community college with in-state tuition, and got a credit card which will report him to the credit bureaus to establish credit so we can buy a house together. He needed a SSN for these things so I am glad we did it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.