Pomodoro

Applying for SSN before Marriage and AOS for K1

56 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Zjazzy said:

Hello VJ, I will like to know if it is best for a K1 visa holder (now living in the US) to apply for a Social Security Number before marriage and before doing AOS or it does not matter much?  Thank you! 

Better get the SSN before marriage. I've read it somewhere here that they had a problem getting the SSN after marriage I am not quite sure about the details but I think because what they have with them was all K1 Visa which means that the visa is not for married but for a fiancé or something like that. Maybe someone here know better and can help you out better.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Definitely try to apply before! It took me one visit, you need your passport, I-94, form is available at the office. You apply in your maiden name later visit again to change a name, taking all above and your marriage certificate (it’s all free of charge).

Below there is a guide, I didn’t print the  instruction, I had it open on my phone browser tho. My office was knowledgeable enough to process my application without problems. It took them a month to send me a first card. Life is a little bit easier with SSN (healthy insurance, banking etc.)

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you plan on working in the US .. better to apply for SS# as soon as possible.  You won't be able to apply for Work Permit (EAD) without the SS#.  It is taking 4-6 months to obtain a work permit .. so if working is important - do it now.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think you can find your answer in this link. I followed the instructions and it worked for me:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

For K1 Visa Holders ::

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do
not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA 
offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior
to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.
You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your
record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the
USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These 
documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).
your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)
your valid I-94: Electronic I-94 Copy; or (for older entries) an original (and bring a front/backside copy) of a valid paper I-94
another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)
You should also bring the document RM 10211.530 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware 
that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not 
you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mom and Son said:

another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

May I ask what could I use as my 2nd identity document? 

I found this link but it's not quite clear to me https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

I imagine my birth certificate or driver's lincese from my country could work, but do I have to get certified translations? 

Thank you!

Thank you all for the very helpful info about the SSN. 

Also, is not very clear to me about the I-693  medical requirements. Do I take this form to the authorized physician and he will fill it out? Will he give us a new seal envelope like the one given at POE? We do have the vaccines booklet but the doctor did not gave us the DS- 3025 form. Thanks again!!!!!!! :) 

53 minutes ago, AnaidAaron said:

I found this link but it's not quite clear to me https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

I imagine my birth certificate or driver's lincese from my country could work, but do I have to get certified translations? 

Thank you!

AnaidAaron, I would think that using the passport is enough because it has the identification page and the K1 visa.  

Edited by Zjazzy

Timeline
53 minutes ago, AnaidAaron said:

Thank you!

For me, it was my passport and my K-1Visa.

One is issued by your origin country gov, other by US, both have a picture ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

That's not true. You can apply for an EAD just fine without an SSN. There's even a section on the I-765 to have them automatically apply for one on your behalf if you don't have one already.

In years past - having a SS# was required prior to obtaining an EAD.   As of Oct 2017:  "

the whole process just recently got easier, combining the above two steps into one. Now, when you apply for your EAD and fill out USCIS Form I-765, it has a new box, giving you the option of simultaneously applying for your EAD. (For details on how to fill out this form, see Filling Out Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.) This change was detailed in a USCIS announcement of October 2, 2017, in which the agency explains its new information-sharing partnership with the SSA. According to USCIS, after you receive your approved EAD from USCIS, you should later receive your Social Security card within another two weeks or so."

MY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION:  Get your SS Card as soon as you can. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Zjazzy said:

Thank you all for the very helpful info about the SSN. 

Also, is not very clear to me about the I-693  medical requirements. Do I take this form to the authorized physician and he will fill it out? Will he give us a new seal envelope like the one given at POE? We do have the vaccines booklet but the doctor did not gave us the DS- 3025 form. Thanks again!!!!!!! :) 

Try to ask for the copy of DS- 3025 from your (useless) physician that did the K-1 med , it was his basic job to give you a copy of this document. Maybe it will be possible to obtain by email or something, rare but might happen. If no, you have to find an authorized physician and pay him to complete your I-693 :/

1 minute ago, Marcelina said:

Try to ask for the copy of DS- 3025 from your (useless) physician that did the K-1 med , it was his basic job to give you a copy of this document. Maybe it will be possible to obtain by email or something, rare but might happen. If no, you have to find an authorized physician and pay him to complete your I-693 :/

OMG we did ask many times at the clinic in Algeria. They kept saying that they never have seen the DS-3025 form before.  I guess is just luck when they give it.  :(

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.