lucy 242

Proof of marriage

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am new here :)

I am married to a US citizen and we already filed the I130 package

we met 4 years ago while I was visiting the US and we kept a long distance relationship for 2.5 years

I went to the US this past Christmas to visit him and he proposed, then we got married a month later.

I left the US 3 weeks after the wedding and we sent all the documents -what we sent was -

I sent about 15 photos (no wedding pics because we got married at city hall)

chat transcripts ( 4 years)

affidavit of support written by a friend

a ring recept 

and a marriage certificate

We didn't really have anything else to send and now I'm worried that this is not enough 

now we are waiting for the NOA2

I know the process will probably take about a year, and we are not rich people, the plan was for me to stay here for this whole year till the interview

but now I am worried that we might get rejected due to lack of proof, we were thinking maybe go on a short vacation together and take more pics that I could bring to the interview or that I visit him in the US again for a few weeks,

but we rather not to that due to financial issues, right now we prefer to save the money .

so I need your advice, what do you thing I should do? is what we have enough?

thank you :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A long distance marriage doesn't always have a great deal of evidence at first.  I think the pieces of evidence you listed are pretty good for USCIS approval.  There are other things you can work on, too.  Wills, trusts, health care documents, insurance docs, beneficiary statements, for example, are legal documents normally generated in a marriage.  Financial co-mingling is excellent evidence if you can show each other as authorized users on credit cards, bank accounts, etc.

Multiple face to face visits are good if you can arrange them.

I hope this helps a little....good luck.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I have heard that those doing the interviews are understanding when it comes to new couples having evidence of a relationship. My wife and I are married just over a year and did our interview yesterday and submitted a joint tax return, bank statements with both of our names on it, a life insurance policy, around 14 photos of us with just us and other people, and then letters that had mine and my wife's name from her family back home. It didn't seem like a lot in the moment but we were approved and the lady was very nice about everything. Don't worry if you don't have all of this stuff yet. It will come in time. If you need more but don't have financial proof, you can always ask family and friends who know you to write letters validating your relationship. Hope this helps :)

unitedstates.gift4518.gifbelgium-flag.gif

Met Online March 3, 2016

Became a couple April 2, 2016

First trip to Belgium: June 28 - August 11, 2016

Second trip to Belgium: December 15, 2016 - March 11, 2017

K1

Sent in I-129F September 14, 2016

Visa received in hand April 6, 2017

I-129F to K1 in hand: 204 days (6 months 23 days)

Arrived into the US May 10, 2017

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Sent AOS packet January 19, 2018

Greencard received in mail June 14, 2018

AOS to Greencard in hand: 146 days (4 months 26 days)  

1 minute ago, sunshinelove said:

I have heard that those doing the interviews are understanding when it comes to new couples having evidence of a relationship. My wife and I are married just over a year and did our interview yesterday and submitted a joint tax return, bank statements with both of our names on it, a life insurance policy, around 14 photos of us with just us and other people, and then letters that had mine and my wife's name from her family back home. It didn't seem like a lot in the moment but we were approved and the lady was very nice about everything. Don't worry if you don't have all of this stuff yet. It will come in time. If you need more but don't have financial proof, you can always ask family and friends who know you to write letters validating your relationship. Hope this helps :)

Like I said we live in different countries so there are no joint tax returns and stuff like that...

we did send a letter from a friend  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Co-mingle financial stuff  is not possible since you both not living together yet. To pass USCIS stage is actually is easy, the hard part is the final interview with CO. So just gather as much as you can : before married and after married.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

That's totally understandable if you don't live her yet. Since you can't have financial proof, I'd send in a lot of photos and have your family and friends write letters talking about your relationship and any letters you've received with both your names on them. You can also submit copies of cards you two have given each other along with screenshots of your conversations spread across the 4 years. 

unitedstates.gift4518.gifbelgium-flag.gif

Met Online March 3, 2016

Became a couple April 2, 2016

First trip to Belgium: June 28 - August 11, 2016

Second trip to Belgium: December 15, 2016 - March 11, 2017

K1

Sent in I-129F September 14, 2016

Visa received in hand April 6, 2017

I-129F to K1 in hand: 204 days (6 months 23 days)

Arrived into the US May 10, 2017

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Sent AOS packet January 19, 2018

Greencard received in mail June 14, 2018

AOS to Greencard in hand: 146 days (4 months 26 days)  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Example: A beneficiary statement is a document which states who will receive insurance benefits if a spouse dies, etc........

Generating any legal document which connects both of you is a quality piece of evidence.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
35 minutes ago, lucy 242 said:

Like I said we live in different countries so there are no joint tax returns and stuff like that...

we did send a letter from a friend  

Did you get married after December 31st? 

Your husband can and should file taxes as being married (not single) if you were married BEFORE December 31st. If you were married in 2018, he needs to remember to file as married next year. You cannot file taxes as single if you are married. 

If you want to do a joint return, he can get an ITIN number for you (I got one for my spouse who lives overseas). If he doesnt want to file joint, he can do married-filing-separately. 

What country are you from? While your evidence may get you approved at a USCIS level, some countries are harder to get a visa through at a consular level. Certain "higher fraud" countries may see marriage during a brief visit without other visits prior to interview as a big concern. 

2 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Did you get married after December 31st? 

Your husband can and should file taxes as being married (not single) if you were married BEFORE December 31st. If you were married in 2018, he needs to remember to file as married next year. You cannot file taxes as single if you are married. 

If you want to do a joint return, he can get an ITIN number for you (I got one for my spouse who lives overseas). If he doesnt want to file joint, he can do married-filing-separately. 

What country are you from? While your evidence may get you approved at a USCIS level, some countries are harder to get a visa through at a consular level. Certain "higher fraud" countries may see marriage during a brief visit without other visits prior to interview as a big concern. 

We got married in Jan 2018

my husband is not filing any tax return because he is currently not working, he is taking care of his sick dad

His mom is going to be my co sponsor 

I am from Sweden

Should I visit him before the interview? is that a good idea?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Cases out of Sweden are usually not thought of as high fraud risk compared to some cases from countries in sub-Saharan Africa.  FWIW, all of the replies you received regarding finances and beneficiary statements in this thread so far is not something you should focus on.  As for making another visit prior to the interview, that is something you and your spouse need to decide on your own as a couple; with that being said, I always advocate getting together in-person when or if the opportunity presents itself.

I've posted my thoughts on your list items, my two cents on it at this point is not even worth that since you already filed the form but I'll give it anyway for the benefit of anyone else who reads this:

5 hours ago, lucy 242 said:

I sent about 15 photos (no wedding pics because we got married at city hall) - good evidence of time spent together in-person

chat transcripts ( 4 years) - shows ongoing communication

affidavit of support written by a friend - will carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file

a ring recept  - worthless, all this shows is that you purchased a ring, it means nothing in terms of a bona fide relationship

and a marriage certificate - hopefully you sent just the photocopy of the marriage certificate since a photocopy of the certificate is all that is needed when the petition is filed

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

4 minutes ago, Ryan H said:

Cases out of Sweden are usually not thought of as high fraud risk compared to some cases from countries in sub-Saharan Africa.  FWIW, all of the replies you received regarding finances and beneficiary statements in this thread so far is not something you should focus on.  As for making another visit prior to the interview, that is something you and your spouse need to decide on your own as a couple; with that being said, I always advocate getting together in-person when or if the opportunity presents itself.

I've posted my thoughts on your list items, my two cents on it at this point is not even worth that since you already filed the form but I'll give it anyway for the benefit of anyone else who reads this:

Thank you, I hope everything will be ok with our case

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Lucy,

Try not to worry. Like others have said, you won't be considered high risk for a fraudulent relationship as Sweden has a very high standard of living. 

I understand about finances being tight but could you open a savings account together? With online banking it is very simple to save. Just a small amount saved each week or month shows you are planning ahead with each other. It will also give you a financial buffer and is a good habit to get in to as a couple. Check with your bank about the best options as there are tax laws etc. to abide by in different countries. 

As for visiting each other, some airlines have sales at certain times of the year. Keep an eye on price comparison sites for flight deals. Virgin Atlantic usually have a sale in March/April (half price flights last year) and Norwegian are much cheaper but may not fly to an airport near you or your husband. Flying during holiday periods is way more expensive. Ask for money for birthdays or as a wedding gift, instead of presents, to go towards meeting up. A year apart sounds horrible when you've just got married. Definitely try to have a vacation together!

Wishing you all the best.

2 hours ago, fip & jim said:

Hi Lucy,

Try not to worry. Like others have said, you won't be considered high risk for a fraudulent relationship as Sweden has a very high standard of living. 

I understand about finances being tight but could you open a savings account together? With online banking it is very simple to save. Just a small amount saved each week or month shows you are planning ahead with each other. It will also give you a financial buffer and is a good habit to get in to as a couple. Check with your bank about the best options as there are tax laws etc. to abide by in different countries. 

As for visiting each other, some airlines have sales at certain times of the year. Keep an eye on price comparison sites for flight deals. Virgin Atlantic usually have a sale in March/April (half price flights last year) and Norwegian are much cheaper but may not fly to an airport near you or your husband. Flying during holiday periods is way more expensive. Ask for money for birthdays or as a wedding gift, instead of presents, to go towards meeting up. A year apart sounds horrible when you've just got married. Definitely try to have a vacation together!

Wishing you all the best.

It's not just finances, it's also elderly parents, his mom is sick and my dad is recovering from a stroke, my mom died recently from cancer (my dad got a stroke after she died) and I'm an only child, so everything is on me, things are not so easy, can't just leave and go on a vacation or a visit, that's why I prefer to just wait till after the interview, hoping that things will settle by then, but super stressed about not enough evidence..

Edited by lucy 242

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, lucy 242 said:

It's not just finances, it's also elderly parents, his mom is sick and my dad is recovering from a stroke and I'm an only child, things are not so easy, can't just leave and go on a vacation or a visit, that's why I prefer to just wait till after the interview, hoping that things will settle by then, but super stressed about not enough evidence..

No, I know. I have kids so I can't leave when I want either. It is achievable with planning. Those other factors will be contributing to your stress so take care. Can someone take over your caring duties so you can recharge? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.