Cardinal6669

Guess I am getting deported

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Does the Social Security card have any text written across it...something along the lines of "VALID ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"? If so, then it's restricted. If not, then that + a valid driver's license should be fine for the I-9.

#######. It says valid for work only with DHS authorization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 hours ago, Cardinal6669 said:

So how should we approach this letter?

The most begging, at your mercy, please spare us from separation tone ever? 

The thing about RFEs is that you need to pinpoint exactly what they are looking for.  If you get an RFE for being late, then just tell your story.  Don't fall all over yourself.  If you got an RFE, it's because your officer is a stickler for the rules, and emotions aren't going to touch them.

Say exactly what you told us.  You thought your date was xx/xx.  A month before, you lost your job and all your attention was focused on getting employed as quickly as possible.  Money was tight.  Mom came to the rescue.

Just give them the facts, gently apologize for your mistake, and send that letter off!

I still think you will be fine.  Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sukie said:

The thing about RFEs is that you need to pinpoint exactly what they are looking for.  If you get an RFE for being late, then just tell your story.  Don't fall all over yourself.  If you got an RFE, it's because your officer is a stickler for the rules, and emotions aren't going to touch them.

Say exactly what you told us.  You thought your date was xx/xx.  A month before, you lost your job and all your attention was focused on getting employed as quickly as possible.  Money was tight.  Mom came to the rescue.

Just give them the facts, gently apologize for your mistake, and send that letter off!

I still think you will be fine.  Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Makes sense. 

Okay I will do that. I won't drone on and on. 

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, Cardinal6669 said:

#######. It says valid for work only with DHS authorization.

Dang. The issue is you need documentation that you are authorized to work. The green card does this, but it's expired now. Until the extension letter arrives, you have no evidence that it has been extended for 1 year.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents

You need either a document from list A (a non-expired green card works here) OR [1 from list B + 1 from list C]. The driver's license covers B fine, but I don't see anything in C that you could use.

You can still apply for the job fine. You just may have to hold off on the start date until you have the paperwork they will need for the I-9.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The guys over at USCIS are not paid to spend their hours hunting for minute excuses to deport. In fact, even though they sound like some cruel alien robots, they are very human. If your package was stamped 11th on their end, you very likely have nothing to worry about. In any case this is after the fact, and excessive worry and panic won't help the situation.

Watch bank account if you sent a check, and if they draw their money, you are home dry. Otherwise when and if they send an RFE, a simple honest explanation... along the lines of...

We were facing some financial hardship... I lost my job (you can give them your former employer's name and address and phone number if they want to verify... and even mention that,  in fact, Mom is the one who bailed you out... will do.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Dang. The issue is you need documentation that you are authorized to work. The green card does this, but it's expired now. Until the extension letter arrives, you have no evidence that it has been extended for 1 year.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents

You need either a document from list A (a non-expired green card works here) OR [1 from list B + 1 from list C]. The driver's license covers B fine, but I don't see anything in C that you could use.

You can still apply for the job fine. You just may have to hold off on the start date until you have the paperwork they will need for the I-9.

I was looking at the I-9 and one of the options you can provide with drivers license is Receipt Replace. Unrestricted Social Security Card. 

Does this mean I can go down to the SS office and apply for one and then use the receipt?

Also, how fast can they issue one?

Maybe that would be faster than waiting on the extension letter. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

SS office will need something to issue one, the extension letter..

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

SS office will need something to issue one, the extension letter..

lol, and round and round we go. 

Damn. Alright, thanks anyways guys. 

I guess I will just have to tell the employer about my situation and they can either choose to hold off on hiring me or find someone else. 

5 hours ago, Cardinal6669 said:

Thanks for all the helpful positive replies guys. I will get on drafting an explanation now. 

I personally wouldn't even bother with the explanation since your package is already sent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Not an issue, there are several stories here on VJ about people filing late and they were accepted and approved just fine, never heard a beep about filing late. Some even months too late, still not an issue.

You could potentionally try to get a i-551 stamp in your passport as proof of your status to show to the employer.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

I personally wouldn't even bother with the explanation since your package is already sent.

Well it may already have been sent off, but the money order has not been cashed yet, meaning I'm going to get an RFE or my package sent back. So I won't have a choice. 

1 minute ago, Scandi said:

Not an issue, there are several stories here on VJ about people filing late and they were accepted and approved just fine, never heard a beep about filing late. Some even months too late, still not an issue.

You could potentionally try to get a i-551 stamp in your passport as proof of your status to show to the employer.

Good to know. 

What is a I-551 stamp?

& would I have to buy plane tickets lmao because I can't afford that. 

6 hours ago, Cardinal6669 said:

Well it may already have been sent off, but the money order has not been cashed yet, meaning I'm going to get an RFE or my package sent back. So I won't have a choice. 

Good to know. 

What is a I-551 stamp?

& would I have to buy plane tickets lmao because I can't afford that. 

Give them a month before you start worrying about an RFE or package being sent back. 

Recently there was a thread about filing late and about 5 people posted that they had zero issues, someone was even a month late.   No RFE.  No immigration court.  Nothing.  

An I-551 is a green card.  So an I-551 stamp is a stamp from the USCIS in a valid passport showing you have status.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
8 hours ago, NikLR said:

Give them a month before you start worrying about an RFE or package being sent back. 

Recently there was a thread about filing late and about 5 people posted that they had zero issues, someone was even a month late.   No RFE.  No immigration court.  Nothing.  

An I-551 is a green card.  So an I-551 stamp is a stamp from the USCIS in a valid passport showing you have status.  

That's awesome, maybe I will be that lucky.
I am going to keep checking to see if the cashiers check has been cashed. Can I ask them to stamp my passport in the mean time while I'm waiting on my authorization letter?
Give them a call, or? 

If you are sending your ROC package to CSC, you'll probably wait for couple weeks for NOA since they just start processing April 6-9th, 2018 applications. If you have job offer as of right now or before your NOA comes back from CSC, you should make a info pass ASAP to local office. Tell them your story and ask for an I-559 stamp. There are couple people that have the same "work" situation and successful got a stamp from local office for work. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.