Carlos Aguilar

my cousin was deported from Dallas

45 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Don’t you guys get nervous traveling with so much cash?! 

this press release from CBP indicates they only seize cash (I’m assuming other than obviously illicit activities) if it’s not reported at the $10k level. So again, for that amount, there has to be something “more to the story”. https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-makes-cash-seizures  (also the press release does not mention refusing entry to these people ...)

No. Am I meant to?  I mean, it's not like I carry it with me all the time - as soon as I've arrived at my hotel (if I've got an overnight stop) or partner's place, I take out enough for a few days and then the rest goes into the hotel safe or the fire-safe.    

I figure I might be in the minority here, and it's probably related to the fact that I'm apparently a unicorn in my group of friends in that I've never once as a woman, felt unsafe walking alone at night in a city - apparently this is not a normal thing and my friends suggest that it's not normal at all. 

I would be nervous carrying that much money with me anywhere. I've only ever done so a few times, and that was for a few hours at a time (all domestically). While I don't feel unsafe and take basic precautions to stay safe, even that slight risk of getting robbed while carrying so much money just seems grossly unnecessary. I use a card most of the time, and if I'm in a country where card is not common, I use ATMs to take out the small amounts I need for like a week at a time.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

this press release from CBP indicates they only seize cash (I’m assuming other than obviously illicit activities) if it’s not reported at the $10k level. So again, for that amount, there has to be something “more to the story”. https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-makes-cash-seizures  (also the press release does not mention refusing entry to these people ...)

Yeah I would never travel with that much cash on me. If it wasn't for my husband telling me I should at least keep $20 in my wallet for emergencies I would not even carry cash. Felt pretty pathetic once at the airport, I think it was the time I was paroled into the country and had to go through secondary and CBP asked me if I had any cash on me and I replied I had 5 maybe 10 bucks :P Not near any sums you see/hear about on any episodes of Border Patrol. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, it can add a bit of stress, but depends on how you used to carry large amounts of cash on you and what other options are. In Russia cash is still very common, and when I was working there for some private business (nothing illegal), I often had to carry amounts equivalent to a few grands USD with me because our partners sometimes for various reasons would prefer to either receive, either make large payments with cash, so carrying $3-5 grands on me is a bit stressful but nothing new.

Also, transferring money over the border other ways can be less appealing than cash. For example, wire transfers from Russia to the US require supplemental documentation with notarized translation and often take a few business days to process, and many other ways have high fees, so if you need to bring a few thousands over the border, cash in the pocket is often the best option.

- Victor from Russia

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

2 minutes ago, Amy_and_Victor said:

Well, it can add a bit of stress, but depends on how you used to carry large amounts of cash on you and what other options are. In Russia cash is still very common, and when I was working there for some private business (nothing illegal), I often had to carry amounts equivalent to a few grands USD with me because our partners sometimes for various reasons would prefer to either receive, either make large payments with cash, so carrying $3-5 grands on me is a bit stressful but nothing new.

Also, transferring money over the border other ways can be less appealing than cash. For example, wire transfers from Russia to the US require supplemental documentation with notarized translation and often take a few business days to process, and many other ways have high fees, so if you need to bring a few thousands over the border, cash in the pocket is often the best option.

- Victor from Russia

Agreed. I come from a place where cash is still very common (even for large transactions) and most people keep cash in their homes because if you bank it, it's hard to withdraw it (there are stringent daily limits); foreign currency is hard to come by within the banking system and so most people traveling abroad will have huge sums of cash on them. International transaction fees on credit cards are atronomical, too, which adds to many people's decision to carry cash.

I know Zimbabwe's economy is pretty unique in many ways, but I would imagine there are many countries in which cash is more commonplace than cards and people are just so used to cash transactions and carrying around large amounts.

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

1 hour ago, dazed'nconfused said:

No. Am I meant to?  I mean, it's not like I carry it with me all the time - as soon as I've arrived at my hotel (if I've got an overnight stop) or partner's place, I take out enough for a few days and then the rest goes into the hotel safe or the fire-safe.    

I figure I might be in the minority here, and it's probably related to the fact that I'm apparently a unicorn in my group of friends in that I've never once as a woman, felt unsafe walking alone at night in a city - apparently this is not a normal thing and my friends suggest that it's not normal at all. 

I just personally wouldn’t risk losing that much to a pickpocket or bagsnatcher - and they’ve had people do this on planes  too - for the sake of saving a few $$ fees. Why don’t you just open a US bank account?! Or get a credit card that doesn’t charge fx fees and use it for cash withdrawals, or just for um actually paying for stuff? Anyway whatever, it’s not really relevant, OP’s cousin presumably wasn’t just innocently carrying  cash or it wouldn’t have been confiscated.

Edited by SusieQQQ

14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I just personally wouldn’t risk losing that much to a pickpocket or bagsnatcher - and they’ve had people do this on planes  too - for the sake of saving a few $$ fees. Why don’t you just open a US bank account?! Or get a credit card that doesn’t charge fx fees and use it for cash withdrawals, or just for um actually paying for stuff? Anyway whatever, it’s not really relevant, OP’s cousin presumably wasn’t just innocently carrying  cash or it wouldn’t have been confiscated.

I've tried opening a US bank account - none of the local ones will do it without a SSN and while Capital One apparently will do it, the closest branch/office where I can open one is apparently more than 6 hours drive away, assuming that the branch locator is accurate.  Hopefully we will find the time to stop in to one this visit when we are in Atlanta.

Definatley agree that OP's cousin was doing something wrong. CBP isn't going to confiscate without a reasonable suspicion that something dodgy is going on. 

Its not that big deal to travel with cash.  I traveled 3 trips to vietnam last year to spend time with my fiance.   Each trip I took about $6000 in $100 bills.   I travel with a backpack as carry on.   I have two locks for two compartments.  Not once have I had a problem.  

Now I don't go showing the money.  I still  have a wallet but the big amount is locked up in back pack with my laptop and electronics.  Why would anyone think I am carrying the money??

Vietnam is a cash basis country still.  My fiance will probably travel with over 5k next week to the US and her money will be locked up in her carry on as well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
10 hours ago, chi6488 said:

Its not that big deal to travel with cash.  I traveled 3 trips to vietnam last year to spend time with my fiance.   Each trip I took about $6000 in $100 bills.   I travel with a backpack as carry on.   I have two locks for two compartments.  Not once have I had a problem.  

Now I don't go showing the money.  I still  have a wallet but the big amount is locked up in back pack with my laptop and electronics.  Why would anyone think I am carrying the money??

Vietnam is a cash basis country still.  My fiance will probably travel with over 5k next week to the US and her money will be locked up in her carry on as well

Cambodia, which is more cash-based than Vietnam I wired over $6K to my fiance bank account. Then we used it as we pleased.

The reason to carry that much cash into Vietnam is beyond me, certainly can't be to save the minimal wire fee. I lived in that region from 2012-2016. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Althought I am not defending his entry denial, BP propbably had good reasons to not let him in, how is $5,000 a lot of money to visit a first world country? I went for a work trip to MN last week and three days stay was $1,100 (including airfare). $5,000 is hardly drug kind of money. I have also gone to several countries with more than $5,000 in cash, because I was afraid my credit card won't work there. 

Edited by ramesesthe2nd

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the 2018 Waiting Games.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Op went missing, what a surprise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, Sunnyland said:

They surely thought his plan was not visit but staying at his cousin's house for a good long time. Money not declared was the tip of the iceberg.

Why would he declare it?

Is it asked for if you are a non us citizen?

I was under the impression you only had to declare if over 10K USD

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

15 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Why would he declare it?

Is it asked for if you are a non us citizen?

I was under the impression you only had to declare if over 10K USD

That’s correct and precisely why the confiscation is so interesting, it’s obviously suspected to be criminal. No other reason CBP would be able to confiscate it as it’s under the must-declare amount.

I'm really curious to how this all played out. I've visited the US multiple times (every year in my college years and every other year after that) on a Tourist Visa and usually with more or less $5,000 in cash (which I deposit into my bank account as soon as I get the chance) and I've never had problems before. I don't even bother declaring it. They always ask me at POE how much I have on me and I tell them but never had problems with that before. My guess is your cousin got denied entry for other reasons. Like giving a questionable.suspicious answer to whatever other question the officer asked him/her during entry.

May 31, 2017 - POE: Seattle (B-2 Visa)

June 9, 2017 - Got married!

-

04.12.2018 - AOS packet (I-130 & I-485) sent with G-1145

04.24.2018 - Received NOA for I-130 & I-481 via txt & e-mail; Checks cashed

05.17.2018 - Biometrics Appointment (I-485)

11.13.2018 - Interview Scheduled

12.18.2018 - Interview Done @ Denver, CO Field Office : APPROVED on the spot

During the interview, I expressed my concern to the officer about my EAD/AP card and why I haven't heard anything about it 'til now. He confirms that my application for it wasn't even on their system. (Eh!!?)

I didn't ask any more about it though since he said I should be receiving my conditional GC in the mail soon and an EAD & AP would be useless at this point. ._.

12.21.2018 - 2-year Conditional Green Card received in the mail [validity: 12.18.2018 - 12.18.2020]

-

10.01.2019 - Moved to Rhode Island while husband is deployed to S.Korea

-

09.12.2020 - Changed address on USCIS website

09.14.2020 - Filed N-400 online (qualified under INA 319(b)); Called USCIS military help line to request expedite of application

09.15.2020 - Case received & application is being reviewed

09.21.2020 - Sent another request for expedite (via e-mail)

09.22.2020 - Expedite Request Approved. Received a call from Providence, RI Application Support Center: Scheduled Biometrics Appointment for 10.06.2020 & Scheduled Interview (tentatively) for 10.09.2020

09.24.2020 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment (hard copy received)

10.02.2020 - I-751 sent with G-1145

10.06.2020 - Biometrics Appointment (N-400)

10.16.2020 - Received NOA for I-751 via txt; Credit Card charged

10.26.2020 - Received NOA , Biometrics reused

11.02.2020 - Interview scheduled for both I-751 & N-400

11.03.2020 - Interview Done @ Providence, RI Filed Office: APPROVED w/ same day Oath Ceremony - I'm officially a US Citizen! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.