Dimsa

Applying for citizenship (married but separated)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm eligible to apply for a citizenship (3 years in marriage with US Citizen). Unfortunately, me and my wife decided to get separated but she agreed to not get a divorce until I get my citizenship. Only thing she wants to do right now is to change her last name to her maiden last name.

Do you think if she change her last name to her maiden last name now, that would be an issue with my application?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

sorry, but it doesn't work that way

now that you are separated, you will have to wait until you have 5 years of residency. 90 days before your 5th year, you can apply for citizenship

under the 3 year rule, you will have to prove once more that you have a bona fide marriage, which you don't, you aren't living together,

so she can do what she wants, even divorce since you can't apply for citizenship right now. Divorce and move on with your life and in a few years you can apply for citizenship. Plus in some states the citizenship can take a year or more to process. so best do things now if you can't work things out.

so sorry it didn't work out

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dimsa said:

I'm eligible to apply for a citizenship (3 years in marriage with US Citizen). Unfortunately, me and my wife decided to get separated but she agreed to not get a divorce until I get my citizenship. Only thing she wants to do right now is to change her last name to her maiden last name.

Do you think if she change her last name to her maiden last name now, that would be an issue with my application?

You are no longer eligible to file under the 3-year rule since you are separated.  One of the requirements for filing under the 3-year rule is that you have lived in marital union together for the entire 3 years prior to the date of filing....even if you "hold off" on official divorce proceedings until later on, your separation (whether a legal separation or not) will result in a denial of your N400 since the ajudication is marriage-based.

If you wait a couple of years, you will be eligible for the 5-year residency rule filing and it won't matter then whether you are married, separated or divorced.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Agreed. If you are not together then you are technically not eligible. And if found out, it would lead to major problems.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
5 hours ago, Dimsa said:

In addition to what others have written above - you may be asked during interview if you have been separated during past three years (I was - asked, not separated). It's simple - if you're separated, you're no longer eligible to file under 3 years rule. Your wife's last name or current marital status doesn't really matter.

Edited by kzielu

Exactly. Being legally separately won't qualify for the marital union requirements. Even living apart but not being legally separated can be deemed as violating this requirement.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter3.html#S-B

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11261/0-0-0-31517/0-0-0-31522.html

"(b) Marital union.

(1) General. An applicant lives in marital union with a citizen spouse if the applicant actually resides with his or her current spouse. The burden is on the applicant to establish, in each individual case, that a particular marital union satisfies the requirements of this part.
(2) Loss of Marital Union.
(i) Divorce, death or expatriation. A person is ineligible for naturalization as the spouse of a United States citizen under Section 319(a) of the Act if, before or after the filing of the application, the marital union ceases to exist due to death or divorce, or the citizen spouse has expatriated. Eligibility is not restored to an applicant whose relationship to the citizen spouse terminates before the applicant's admission to citizenship, even though the applicant subsequently marries another United States citizen.
(ii) Separation.
(A) Legal separation. Any legal separation will break the continuity of the marital union required for purposes of this part.
(B) Informal separation. Any informal separation that suggests the possibility of marital disunity will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis to determine whether it is sufficient enough to signify the dissolution of the marital union. "

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
14 hours ago, geowrian said:

Exactly. Being legally separately won't qualify for the marital union requirements. Even living apart but not being legally separated can be deemed as violating this requirement.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter3.html#S-B

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11261/0-0-0-31517/0-0-0-31522.html

"(b) Marital union.

(1) General. An applicant lives in marital union with a citizen spouse if the applicant actually resides with his or her current spouse. The burden is on the applicant to establish, in each individual case, that a particular marital union satisfies the requirements of this part.
(2) Loss of Marital Union.
(i) Divorce, death or expatriation. A person is ineligible for naturalization as the spouse of a United States citizen under Section 319(a) of the Act if, before or after the filing of the application, the marital union ceases to exist due to death or divorce, or the citizen spouse has expatriated. Eligibility is not restored to an applicant whose relationship to the citizen spouse terminates before the applicant's admission to citizenship, even though the applicant subsequently marries another United States citizen.
(ii) Separation.
(A) Legal separation. Any legal separation will break the continuity of the marital union required for purposes of this part.
(B) Informal separation. Any informal separation that suggests the possibility of marital disunity will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis to determine whether it is sufficient enough to signify the dissolution of the marital union. "

Let me act as a devil's advocate for a bit here... So the OP didn't say the type of separation - legal or informal. Looking at the policy you posted, statement on (2) (ii) (B), if their separation is informal then the OP could still stand a chance for further scrutiny to determine if their marital union is dissolved or not (meaning OP could still stand a chance of going for 3 years rule ).  Perhaps OP should assess their separation to determine if it is legal or informal. If informal then look to see if it falls into the basis of dissolution of their marriage or not then take it from there.

@Dimsachanging of last name shouldn't be a problem if your separation issue as mentioned above is in the clear.

...do good and good will be done onto you...

Timeline
1 hour ago, Binna said:

Let me act as a devil's advocate for a bit here... So the OP didn't say the type of separation - legal or informal. Looking at the policy you posted, statement on (2) (ii) (B), if their separation is informal then the OP could still stand a chance for further scrutiny to determine if their marital union is dissolved or not (meaning OP could still stand a chance of going for 3 years rule ).  Perhaps OP should assess their separation to determine if it is legal or informal. If informal then look to see if it falls into the basis of dissolution of their marriage or not then take it from there.

USCIS's policy manual for officers further explains how they a person informally separated shall be adjudicated...if he is still living in the SAME HOUSEHOLD as his wife, he stands a chance...if it can be proven by USCIS that he is NOT, then he's not eligible for approval under the 3-year rule:

Informal Separation 

In many instances, spouses will separate without obtaining a judicial order altering the marital relationship or formalizing the separation. An applicant who is no longer actually residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse following an informal separation is not living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse.

However, if the U.S. citizen spouse and the applicant continue to reside in the same household, an officer must determine on a case-by-case basis whether an informal separation before the filing of the naturalization application renders an applicant ineligible for naturalization as the spouse of a U.S. citizen. [30] Under these circumstances, an applicant is not living in marital union with a U.S. citizen spouse during any period of time in which the spouses are informally separated if such separation suggests the possibility of marital disunity.

Factors to consider in making this determination may include:

The length of separation;

•Whether the applicant and his or her spouse continue to support each other and their children (if any) during the separation;

•Whether the spouses intend to separate permanently; and

•Whether either spouse becomes involved in a relationship with others during the separation. [31] 

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter2.html

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Going through said:

USCIS's policy manual for officers further explains how they a person informally separated shall be adjudicated...if he is still living in the SAME HOUSEHOLD as his wife, he stands a chance...if it can be proven by USCIS that he is NOT, then he's not eligible for approval under the 3-year rule:

Informal Separation 

In many instances, spouses will separate without obtaining a judicial order altering the marital relationship or formalizing the separation. An applicant who is no longer actually residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse following an informal separation is not living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse.

However, if the U.S. citizen spouse and the applicant continue to reside in the same household, an officer must determine on a case-by-case basis whether an informal separation before the filing of the naturalization application renders an applicant ineligible for naturalization as the spouse of a U.S. citizen. [30] Under these circumstances, an applicant is not living in marital union with a U.S. citizen spouse during any period of time in which the spouses are informally separated if such separation suggests the possibility of marital disunity.

Factors to consider in making this determination may include:

The length of separation;

•Whether the applicant and his or her spouse continue to support each other and their children (if any) during the separation;

•Whether the spouses intend to separate permanently; and

•Whether either spouse becomes involved in a relationship with others during the separation. [31] 

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter2.html

@Dimsa there you go with all the answer you need. Now you and only you can decide on whether you qualify for 3 years rule or not. If I am to adjudicate on this case, I personally don't think you qualify though. Based on one of the factors that will be used to determine if your informal separation status (if Informal is your case).

•Whether the spouses intend to separate permanently

You mentioned that you guys intend to get divorce after you obtain your citizenship, this intent means you don't qualify, sorry you may have to wait additional 2 years.

...do good and good will be done onto you...

Timeline

Main determining factor for approval under informal is whether or not the OP still resides in the same household as his estranged wife.

6 hours ago, Binna said:

That might be possible but would be very risky IMHO, and not something I would advise personally. I'd add that they must also reside with their spouse as well: "An applicant lives in marital union with a citizen spouse if the applicant actually resides with his or her current spouse. The burden is on the applicant to establish, in each individual case, that a particular marital union satisfies the requirements of this part."

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.