RB&MN

Ceremony/Reception while K1 Visa is Pending

53 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, RB&MN said:

So you suggest I abandon the K1 visa now, go to Canada and get married and start the Cr-1 process when I come back? Will she be able to come to the states?

Yes but only to visit you.

She has to proof that she will return to Canada. At the end the immigration officer is the one who decides if he let's her in or not.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

6 minutes ago, RB&MN said:

So you suggest I abandon the K1 visa now, go to Canada and get married and start the Cr-1 process when I come back? Will she be able to come to the states?

What is the most important to you and your fiancée:  Living together as soon as possible? Getting married on no other date than September 2? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, RB&MN said:

It depends on what's important to you and your fiancee. How attached are you to that date? Was she already worried about not being able to work or travel for an extended period?

If I were in your shoes, I'd abandon the idea of getting married on Sept 2nd and keep going with the K-1; you're already three months into the process there and starting over would take more time. But my fiancee is in Russia and that poses some logistical difficulties that a Canadian partner really shouldn't have, I think.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

4 hours ago, RB&MN said:

We want to get married september 2nd. Have the date set and all. I have received my NOA1 on 1/24/2018. Finance is from Canada. You all think this visa will come in before Sept 2nd?

If no, what's plan B?

R+M

Hey! I am a Canadian fiancee of an American petitioner. When I filed back in August/17 I thought 9 months would be plenty of time to get the VISA but I was dead wrong. I ended up moving the (already tentative) wedding date three times and began to accept the grim reality that the process was going to lag on rather badly this year. We ended up booking our wedding 12 months after our filing time and we're pretty sure that will give some room. 

In my opinion, I think 8 months would be cutting it too close. 

Marrying her now won't hasten her coming to states. But, if you abandon the K1 now and start the CR1 after getting married, you also lose all the money you've already put on the K1 application, AND you'll have to do (and pay the normal full price too) CR1 visa, which also will take 12-16months, based on recent forum posts.

Best course of action, finish the K1 and do the wedding AFTER she has the visa in hand.

9 hours ago, RB&MN said:

We want to get married september 2nd. Have the date set and all. I have received my NOA1 on 1/24/2018. Finance is from Canada. You all think this visa will come in before Sept 2nd?

If no, what's plan B?

R+M

Have you received the NOA2? Based on what I've been reading about K1 Visa, it takes about 5-7 months for the entire process to complete. Please don't risk jeopardizing your fiance's K1 plan by getting married now. And God willing by September you guys will be married in the US. And really you can't do much at this point other than waiting. Also if I were you, I wouldn't think about a plan-b right now. Too early! Good luck and god bless!

2 minutes ago, 212GUY said:

Have you received the NOA2? Based on what I've been reading about K1 Visa, it takes about 5-7 months for the entire process to complete. Please don't risk jeopardizing your fiance's K1 plan by getting married now. And God willing by September you guys will be married in the US. And really you can't do much at this point other than waiting. Also if I were you, I wouldn't think about a plan-b right now. Too early! Good luck and god bless!

K1 takes longer than that. More like 8 to 12 months.

It was 6 to 8 months when I started the process in 2016.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, 212GUY said:

It all depends on what country your Fiance is applying from. Canada would be faster as opposed to European Nations/Asia.  

Montreal is not even sending packet 3 timely. It is filled with applicants lately.

NOA2 and NVC times has nothing to do with country.

I have no clue how Canada will be faster than any other country under these circumstances....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Regardless of any advice you get from others, PLEASE DO EXTENSIVE RESEARCH on ALL options available that pertain to your situation. This is the BEST thing to do before deciding what path to take, and should really be done before you actually begin the visa process at all. But definitely do this before abandoning the K1 process you are already on, and starting all over again with another one.

DO NOT have a wedding ceremony of any kind - even if it isn't considered legal - while your K1 is pending. You will most likely get denied if they see anything that looks like you've already gotten married, traditionally or legally, in the meantime. This has happened to many people. Then you will be starting all over again, but much later down the road and that's even more frustrating.

A lot of people have said CR1 usually takes longer than K1 also, although you aren't waiting to get married, so as others have said - you have to decide what matters most to you and your partner. The date of the wedding, or how long you'll end up waiting to be/live together. At this point, you'll be waiting longer regardless if you abandon K1 and restart CR1, whether that process is a longer one or not, because you will have to start over. So be sure you are both 100% positive and understand all circumstances. Because you also can't abandon the K1, and then come back to where you left off if you change your mind - you'd have to start over again there, also.

Not to come off so abrasive, but sooo many people make the above mistakes. It's easy to do when we are frustrated or what to do something just for the sake of DOING something. Waiting is not easy, and second guessing doesn't help, which I think we've all done. Wondering if the other route would've been better.

Good luck to you, no matter what option you both take!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Are you set on that wedding date? If so you will have to do the CR1 afterwards if she doesn't have the K1 yet.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.