RB&MN

Ceremony/Reception while K1 Visa is Pending

53 posts in this topic

Just now, RB&MN said:

Hello All,

Can I do a wedding ceremony while the k1 visa is still processing? She comes for a visit, we do the party, she goes back until visa is granted.

R+M

That's NOT the purpose of a K1.

K1 is for entering the US, getting married here and apply for AOS and not for getting married while still waiting for the K1 visa to get approved.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No please dont do anything that can seem like a marriage it can potentially abandon your K1 visa process because they may "assume" you got married. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Definitely do not do anything Ceremony wise, reception wise, anything that may be construed as a wedding anything. I was considering the same thing. Do a search here on VJ and you will find tons of horror stories of K1 visa applicants being "Too Married" to get the visa. All it takes is one lone photo tweeted or shared on facebook, or even taken with a camera and you will end up "Too Married" for the visa. I thought it was a load of $%#@ when I saw people telling me that, in my mind your either married or not. Turns out in the eyes of the CO, USCIS, Whoever thinks they are in charge that day, they get wind of you doing anything close to a ceremony you'll be filing for a CR1 before the ink dries on your rejection stamp for the K1. Just what I have researched and seen on here, check it out yourself. Search" K1 too married" or something along those lines.

Just to be extra safe don't even attend a wedding, even if it's not yours, don't get caught in a tuxedo or at the local wedding planners shop, etc. OK , that may be a little extreme, but don't risk it.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 minute ago, RB&MN said:

No, planning to get married in the US.

You have to wait for your fiancee to have the visa in her passport.

You CANNOT get married while she's visiting you and planning on doing the K1 route.

You can get married yes, but then you have to file for CR1.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

3 minutes ago, RB&MN said:

No, planning to get married in the US.

Then:

Possible plans B:

- Changing the date (and location) of the wedding

- Get married and start over by filing a spouse visa (CR1)

- You move to Canada

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, RB&MN said:

how long does the CR1 process take? Will she be able to visit me?

Currently 12-14 months.  She can visit but entry is not ever a guarantee

YMMV

1 minute ago, RB&MN said:

how long does the CR1 process take? Will she be able to visit me?

12-14 months.  You start from scratch.  Yes but only for short visits.  She may need to provide evidence she is returning to Canada.  

To be honest, CR1 is better for independent people from Canada.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, RB&MN said:

We want to get married september 2nd. Have the date set and all. I have received my NOA1 on 1/24/2018. Finance is from Canada. You all think this visa will come in before Sept 2nd?

Unless processing times speed up considerably over this year, there's almost no chance of it; it's possible a handful of people will get their visa and be ready to go in less time than that, but there's no way you should count on that; if your case is handled in anything close to normal current processing times, you won't be.

Pretty much everyone here advises to not even think about setting a wedding date until your fiancé(e) has a visa in hand. There's too much uncertainty in the timeline, especially before you have an interview date. Certainly don't make any non-refundable deposits on anything where you can't change the date, or buy anything with the date printed on it. If you already have, it's probably a sunk cost (though this early I'd see if you can change your date or get a deposit back with some penalty, unless you want to abandon the K-1 and start over with a CR-1, in which case you can marry in the US on September 2nd if you want, but you couldn't apply for a CR-1 until after then, or do a quick courthouse wedding and still have your ceremony on your planned date).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.