20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

If you are an intended immigrant, you can buy whatever is the cheapest, if you so choose

Thanks..Yes it's intended for immigrating..my husband is just worried from all the stories he has heard.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Anukam33 said:

Thanks..Yes it's intended for immigrating..my husband is just worried from all the stories he has heard.

What stories has he heard?

YMMV

Timeline
7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What stories has he heard?

Just stories about your ticket has to be round trip .. I know everybody story is different and things just wanted clearfation so we can know.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Anukam33 said:

Just stories about your ticket has to be round trip .. I know everybody story is different and things just wanted clearfation so we can know.

If you are a non-immigrant and have an expectation to depart the USA at a prescribed time then a RT ticket can be needed.  As an intended CR1,  it is nonsense.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

My husband heard horror stories from people arriving on different visas.  He was also worried.  He came in on a one way ticket, but airline staff seemed very knowledgeable about the visa and gave him no static.  They saw his visa, verified his yellow envelope was on him and unopened and he was good to go. 

You can use either fine.

If you do get a round trip, be sure to cancel the return trip after entry into the US (or make it refundable/transferable, if possible).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

41 minutes ago, geowrian said:

You can use either fine.

If you do get a round trip, be sure to cancel the return trip after entry into the US (or make it refundable/transferable, if possible).

Be careful with cancellations on airline tickets, depending on how long you wait after purchasing you may have to pay a fee to cancel.

As said before, if you are coming on an immigrant visa such as the IR1/CR1 a one-way ticket should be just fine.

A non-immigrant visa such as the B1/B2 where you are just visiting, a round trip ticket may be useful as evidence of your intentions to only visit if you are questioned at the POE.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ZakMrak said:

Be careful with cancellations on airline tickets, depending on how long you wait after purchasing you may have to pay a fee to cancel.

As said before, if you are coming on an immigrant visa such as the IR1/CR1 a one-way ticket should be just fine.

A non-immigrant visa such as the B1/B2 where you are just visiting, a round trip ticket may be useful as evidence of your intentions to only visit if you are questioned at the POE.

Thanks Everyone we will be coming on a immigrant visa a one way will be fine 

8 minutes ago, ZakMrak said:

Good point. I'll just point out that the fee isn't to cancel (despite being called a cancellation fee)...it's to cancel and return the value of the unused ticket. You'll never pay a net more than the original RT ticket. I just point this out because sometimes a RT ticket can be hundreds of dollars cheaper by itself (which is a scam in itself...).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The answer to what ticket to buy is always going to depend on the circumstances but when entering the US with an immigrant visa, a one-way ticket is fine.  

On the other hand, when I moved to the Philippines, (with a one-way ticket) even though I can extend my tourist stay up to three years and then start over again with a simple in and out trip, the airline staff knows I could be denied entry to the Philippines if I don't have either a round trip ticket or a separate onward ticket out of the Philippines at some point.  

Sometimes a round trip ticket is cheaper than a one-way, but be certain you actually get on the first leg of the ticket.  You cannot buy a round-trip FROM the US to somewhere with plans to use only the return leg.  If you don't get on the departing leg of the flight, the rest of the ticket is cancelled.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, Anukam33 said:

Nope, ticket does not have to be rt unless on a tourist visa...Hubby and I just just purchased a one way ticket and it wasn't that expensive as some have stated...Purchasing one way is perfectly fine for the intended immigrant...Safe journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I was actually wondering the same. 

I'm doing the K1 and when I'll finally have my visa I will move to the US. But in the meantime I was checking flight costs and I noticed that RT are way cheaper than the one way ones. A lot cheaper (almost 200 euros). 

So I wanted to understand if buying A RT when I'm sure I will not use the return would be a problem when entering the US. Of course I won't need the return ticket, but if it's way cheaper to buy it instead of the one way, I was thinking on buying that one. 

What do you guys think? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Either one. A lot of people opt for a round trip because it's cheaper than a one way. Some recommend that you remember to cancel the return leg of the flight once you've arrived, before the departure date, so as not to run into any complications with appearing on the flight list. Some airlines complete the passenger manifest before boarding, which can cause this to happen even if you don't show up.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.