Keith & Arileidi

Trump shifts blame to violent video games, movies in gun violence discussion

132 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Merle said:

Chicago's gun violence is commited primarily by gang bangers who are criminals. If their guns were taken away I'm sure they wouldnt become law abiding pillars of the community.

most of those 'gangbangers' are young teens/men who are the same developmentally as the kids who shoot up schools in suburban neighborhoods but 'gangbangers' typically suffer vastly more trauma growing up. it is proven that children who grow up in gang riddled areas suffer ptsd the same as soldiers who've seen active duty. it's also proven that early childhood development is essential in future outcomes - no matter what type of area you live in. mental illness definitely plays a part in chicago's violence but that's most certainly never discussed. 'gangbangers' can be reformed and go on to be be pillars of the community, just like any other criminals. if all the guns disappeared from chicago, there would still be gang violence but not as many people would die. not as many innocent bystanders would die. the cycle of trauma would lessen, and with additional intervention on the early childhood/mental health fronts, progress could be made. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, bcking said:

Interesting though about the "per household" data though...crazy gun hoarders ;)

it is all funny until the zombies attack.........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, bcking said:

Based on those numbers guns have seen a 260% increase, versus the overall population which has seen a 150% increase (roughly).

I wouldn't call those two increases "similar". I'm pretty sure if we did the calculation they would be significantly different.

Not saying the relative increase in guns is important in any way...but it does at least seem like the numbers have increased on a per capital basis in a significant way.

Interesting though about the "per household" data though...crazy gun hoarders ;)

Yes, at first glance, your 260% vs. 150% would seem accurate.  But since the # of households with guns has actually gone DOWN, while the population has gone UP, that means the number of guns available overall is lower (unless one considers the theory that EVERY gun in America was stolen all at once).

If 10 people each own one gun in 1970, and today there are 15 people, but only 8 own the 26 guns, that means 7 people have zero guns, right?

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, smilesammich said:

most of those 'gangbangers' are young teens/men who are the same developmentally as the kids who shoot up schools in suburban neighborhoods but 'gangbangers' typically suffer vastly more trauma growing up. it is proven that children who grow up in gang riddled areas suffer ptsd the same as soldiers who've seen active duty. it's also proven that early childhood development is essential in future outcomes - no matter what type of area you live in. mental illness definitely plays a part in chicago's violence but that's most certainly never discussed. 'gangbangers' can be reformed and go on to be be pillars of the community, just like any other criminals. if all the guns disappeared from chicago, there would still be gang violence but not as many people would die. not as many innocent bystanders would die. the cycle of trauma would lessen, and with additional intervention on the early childhood/mental health fronts, progress could be made. 

It’s discussed all the time.  But some people don’t want to hear it.  They want to blame the weapon, not the ill person pulling the trigger.  You included.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One of the most frequent common denominators to these schools shooters is that they came from single parent households.  I saw a clip of Ann Coultier saying the main predictor of whether someone was going to end up in prison is if they were raised in a single parent household. Of course…all the feminists promoting single motherhood were up in arms. It is one thing to end up in a divorce…but quite another to get pregnant with the plan of being a single mother. Not good for our society and it does contribute to many of our problems.  I blame the feminists for promoting single motherhood and at the same time blaming men for any perceived problems.

Another main factor in these school shootings is the media.  I don't blame the media for the shootings as they are actually covering the news. But, now we have instant breaking news about any school shooting.  This leads to a copycat scenario where it is the new thing for depressed angry kids to take out as many or more than the last one….and become instantly famous while doing it. The whole world will know who they are now. 

13 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

It’s discussed all the time.  But some people don’t want to hear it.  They want to blame the weapon, not the ill person pulling the trigger.  You included.  

i've not seen it discussed 'all the same'. and you've never heard me say anything about a person who pulls a trigger not being held accountable, and i've never blamed a gun instead of the person behind it. im talking about access to guns and breaking cycles of violence. trying to place blame on movies and video games even though those same movies and video games are consumed world wide, including areas with significantly less gun violence. 

30 minutes ago, eieio said:

One of the most frequent common denominators to these schools shooters is that they came from single parent households.  I saw a clip of Ann Coultier saying the main predictor of whether someone was going to end up in prison is if they were raised in a single parent household. Of course…all the feminists promoting single motherhood were up in arms. It is one thing to end up in a divorce…but quite another to get pregnant with the plan of being a single mother. Not good for our society and it does contribute to many of our problems.  I blame the feminists for promoting single motherhood and at the same time blaming men for any perceived problems.

Another main factor in these school shootings is the media.  I don't blame the media for the shootings as they are actually covering the news. But, now we have instant breaking news about any school shooting.  This leads to a copycat scenario where it is the new thing for depressed angry kids to take out as many or more than the last one….and become instantly famous while doing it. The whole world will know who they are now. 

blaming feminists and single motherhood is laughable. as is coulter, a joke. 

Edited by smilesammich

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would like to remind everyone today is International Women's Day, anybody know when the Mens day is?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Got yah.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I would like to remind everyone today is International Women's Day, anybody know when the Mens day is?

Happy women's day!

ol2csgpr5mk01.jpg

Timeline

Really needs 2 UpVotes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
11 hours ago, IDWAF said:

(space invaders, Galaxians, Galaga, Pac Man)

Back in The Day, I could play either all night on one quarter and routinely roll the score over after a million.

Now, when I encounter the rare such machine, I get blown up/eaten rather rapidly, sigh man...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, Boiler said:

as i said on facebook to the same question - it is at the end of every month when the child support is due.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!