ben747

Social Security office refuses to update name after K1 visa + marriage

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiance entered on K1 visa and shortly after her arrival, we went to the SS office and she was issued a SSN with her maiden name.  We got married within 90 days in CA and recently received our marriage certificates (its now past 90 days since K1 expiration since the courthouse does not issue certificates on the same day), so we went to the SS office to update her name and they said they cannot do that because her visa is expired and that she need to either present a green card or work authorization card. I've tried to explain to SS worker that visa expires on the day of arrival anyway, to no avail. Is this correct, or did the SS worker made a mistake? Also, what is her legal name at this point, maiden, or what it says in the marriage certificate?

Edited by ben747

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

The I-94 should give them the info they need. If it's not in your wifes passport, you can get one online. https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

Print this and take with you. It shows the I-94 is acceptable. 

EN-05-10096.pdf

Edited by ch3john

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It is correct they do not change the name or issue a SSN if there is less then 14 days left on the I-94 or it is over date.

You will have to wait for the EAD (or GC)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So if getting EAD or GC first is only way to get SSN updated, should we use her new name or maiden name in AOS application, IRS taxes, health insurance, etc? Does the name she use must match her current SSN with maiden name, or new name as per marriage certificate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from K1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

13 hours ago, ben747 said:

So if getting EAD or GC first is only way to get SSN updated, should we use her new name or maiden name in AOS application, IRS taxes, health insurance, etc? Does the name she use must match her current SSN with maiden name, or new name as per marriage certificate?

Use her current legal name on all documents. Go back to SSN with when you get GC or EAD. You should be working on your AOS application, not worrying about SS office. They're useless and incompetent.

1 hour ago, implife said:

Use her current legal name on all documents. Go back to SSN with when you get GC or EAD. You should be working on your AOS application, not worrying about SS office. They're useless and incompetent.

Current legal name could mean different things to different people. Current legal name according to whom? SS or the state you are in? 

You should use the name you want to permanently use. So, if your wife is changing her name you use the name she is changing it to for AOS. That way when you get your green card it will have the correct name. Then after getting EAD you can get the SSN changed. 

While certainly not ordinary, the SSA was correct in this case to deny a new card. You must have at least 14 days of legal status remaining (or an EAD or green card) in order for them to issue a card. After 76 days of entry on a K-1, this is no longer possible.

Don't confuse this with being in the US illegally, though...you still have authorized stay once you file for AOS.

Getting the SSA to issue a card in your married name before having an EAD or green card is a challenge in itself, but possible (took my wife 3 tries and printing ~20 p[ages of their policy manual...). But getting them to issue it with less than 14 days of legal status (and no EAD or green card) is the proper decision under current policy. You just have to wait it out...

As for your current name, you are permitted to take a name change in accordance with your state's laws regarding marriage. The marriage certificate is a legal name change document. So you can sign documents in thew new ("married") name already. You just can't get certain government documents issued in that name yet, and some types of services that require an SSN (health insurance does not!!!) may require some prodding if they check the name/number against the SSA (i.e. the DMV does this in my state so my wife needed to update the name with SSA first).

You can complete the AOS forms in your desired name so long as the name change is permitted due to marriage (i.e. no changing a first name). Once you have the EAD or green card, you can go to the SSA and have them issue a new card in the name stated on the EAD/green card.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

58 minutes ago, Redheadguy03 said:

Current legal name could mean different things to different people. Current legal name according to whom? SS or the state you are in? 

You should use the name you want to permanently use. So, if your wife is changing her name you use the name she is changing it to for AOS. That way when you get your green card it will have the correct name. Then after getting EAD you can get the SSN changed. 

Do me a favor, don't be silly. In this situation, whatever is on the marriage license is the current legal name. Even if you want to use "Redheadguy03" for the rest of your live, this is not your legal name. I mean, I hope it isn't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
16 hours ago, ben747 said:

If by the time of filing your Tax Return her last name has not been changed on her SS Card, you should use her maiden name on your Tax Return. Otherwise it will get rejected - ss info on the Tax Return must match with Social Security Office record.

20 minutes ago, implife said:

In this situation, whatever is on the marriage license is the current legal name.

The marriage license has no impact here. The marriage certificate is what matters.

The marriage certificate for my wife and I doesn't list her current last name anywhere (only her maiden name). None in PA (as well as many other states) do.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

If she wants to use her married name then that's the name she puts in her AOS application. If she files in her maiden name and later wants to change the name on her greencard to the married name, it'll cost her about $500, which is completely unnecessary when she can file in her married name already from the start. 

Nevermind about the SS card, that's not important atm. As long as she at least have an SSN then she's fine. Once the EAD arrives in her married name she goes back to the SSA and use the EAD as her ID that also proves her name change. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

37 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The marriage license has no impact here. The marriage certificate is what matters.

The marriage certificate for my wife and I doesn't list her current last name anywhere (only her maiden name). None in PA (as well as many other states) do.

Agreed, the certificate is the document that matters.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.