Jmoses

Name Change after Marriage K1

52 posts in this topic

So my fiance (female) came to the US on a K1. We got married and need to know how to exactly do the name change for her last name. We got the social security card in her maiden name because they wouldn't let us get it with my last name unless I went to Homeland Security. As of now we dont know what to do for the work permit and green card for her name (maiden or new last name). Am I allowed to do a name change on her social security card now with the marriage certificate so the rest of the applications can have her marriage name? Or I can only change all the names after she gets the green card? 

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Marriage certificate is your proof of name change so she should just start using her new name.

Also on AOS papers and she can go back with marriage certificate and get a name change on the SSN card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jmoses said:

So my fiance (female) came to the US on a K1. We got married and need to know how to exactly do the name change for her last name. We got the social security card in her maiden name because they wouldn't let us get it with my last name unless I went to Homeland Security. As of now we dont know what to do for the work permit and green card for her name (maiden or new last name). Am I allowed to do a name change on her social security card now with the marriage certificate so the rest of the applications can have her marriage name? Or I can only change all the names after she gets the green card? 

Thanks,

You can use her new last name for EAD/AP and the green card, but be sure to list her maiden name as well as a prior name. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

11 minutes ago, Jmoses said:

Thanks,

It depends on the office if they will honor the marriage certificate. Some states honor it, some states want the green card/ead before they allow the name change.

In particular, like here in California, they require you to have the green card before they make the name change.

If your spouse decides to change her last name on the marriage license, make sure she has her maiden last name as middle name. Some people have had issues changing their name on official documents because of not having the maiden last name as their middle name. She might have to use her maiden last name for the mean time on the ss card and bank documents as she wait for the green card. She will be able to change it most probably once she gets the green card. It will be a tedious process because she will submit a lot of name changes.

Also goes for the passport...she might need to bring the marriage certificate all the time when traveling if her maiden last name is retained in her passport.

I decided to not change my name because of this. Too much hassle! :D

Edited by audacieux89

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Timeline
2 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

It depends on the office if they will honor the marriage certificate. Some states honor it, some states want the green card/ead before they allow the name change.

In particular, like here in California, they require you to have the green card before they make the name change.

Huh? He's asking about the SS card, green card, and EAD/AP card, all federal things. What do states have to do with his question? Or are you predicting he's also wondering about DL and the like?

6 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Huh? He's asking about the SS card, green card, and EAD/AP card, all federal things. What do states have to do with his question? Or are you predicting he's also wondering about DL and the like?

I'm saying some ss offices don't honor the marriage certificate as proof for the name change (they want the green card reflecting the name change). Some ss offices in other states honor the marriage certificate to do the name change.

I cited a specific example.

OP is better to ask his/her local ss office with regards to if they can do the name change using the marriage certificate. :)

Edited by audacieux89

4 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Social Security offices are federal. They all have the same rules and policies, no matter what state they're located in. Some just have ignorant employees. 

Nope. Not in my and my other friends' experiences. Apparently, their rules differ from office to office. One person I know from pennsylvania was never even given a social security number even when she printed out the policies on their website and showed the manager of the office. Until now, even when her ead card has alreadg issued, she still haven't gotten her ssn. A lot of discrepancies with how they implement their policies in their local offices.

It's very frustrating dealing with government offices sometimes. 

Edited by audacieux89

Timeline
Just now, audacieux89 said:

Nope. Not in my and my other friends' experiences. Apparently, their rules differ from office to office. One person I know from pennsylvania was never even given a social security number even when she printed out the policies on their website. A lot of discrepancies with how they implement their policies in their local offices.

Your example just made my point: same policies, just ignorant employees who don't always follow them. 

2 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Your example just made my point: same policies, just ignorant employees who don't always follow them. 

Yes. That's why i suggested to op to approach his local ss office so he gets a definite answer. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
8 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

Nope. Not in my and my other friends' experiences. Apparently, their rules differ from office to office. One person I know from pennsylvania was never even given a social security number even when she printed out the policies on their website and showed the manager of the office. Until now, even when her ead card has alreadg issued, she still haven't gotten her ssn. A lot of discrepancies with how they implement their policies in their local offices.

It's very frustrating dealing with government offices sometimes. 

Also depends on when they went to do it. If their is 14 days or left on the I-94 they can't do it.

Just now, Georgia16 said:

Also depends on when they went to do it. If their is 14 days or left on the I-94 they can't do it.

What are you pertaining to?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
27 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

It's only the knowledge between SSAs that differ. Some SSA employees aren't smart enough to figure it out, while others know perfectly well that it's fine to have the name on the SSC changed based on the marriage certificate.

I got my SSN in my maiden name since we weren't married yet (I applied for my SSN 4 days after I arrived in the US), then after we got married and I received the marriage certificate I took it with me to the SSA and had the name changed on my SSC. Easy and fast, had the new card in the mailbox just 4 days later. Yes, this all happened in California and before I had even filed for my AOS

It was out of the question for me to not take my husband's name and only 3 months after the marriage I had changed my name everywhere (also in my home country of course) and had my new passport in married name etc. It was well worth it and not as difficult as some want it to seem like.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.