Jmoses

Name Change after Marriage K1

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would say you proceed with maiden name. You can file for a court order for name change and change everything (yes more paperwork and leg work but that way it's easier). Then you can tell USCIS about the name change. When you file for AOS for example, include your marriage certificate and court order for name change.

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all:

Been frustrating trying to get a name change for my wife--the Florida marriage license office wouldn't do it last year.  The SS office refused to do it, and now I've finished our green card interview and they refused to change her name using the I-485 as well.  We want to change her first and last name.

Can we do this in Texas court?  That's what the USCIS officer said to do.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/26/2017 at 5:55 PM, SteveCinHou said:

Getting back to the original question....  We had exactly the same problem.  K1 visa, married, my wife got SSN on maiden name, OAS and EAD filed with married name.  We've gone to the SS office (Houston, TX) and they claim she has to have her green card or EAD in her married name to get her name changed on the SS card.  Don't know if this is really the law, or employees who don't understand.  These are government employees after all... their ability to use common sense or think on their own is not a valued ability.  But I couldn't point to anything saying anything different.  If anyone has anything official that states how this should work I would appreciate it.  In the meantime we're coming up on 5 months still waiting on EAD.

I, too, was told I need the green card before I'm able to change my name on SSN card. I've been married for 3.5 years and am still waiting for my permanent green card, so haven't been able to change my last name yet. It's so embarrassing to tell my coworkers and boss that I've been married for this long but am waiting to be able to change my last name and that "someday" it'll be changed.

Filed: Timeline
9 minutes ago, amicablebride said:

I, too, was told I need the green card before I'm able to change my name on SSN card. I've been married for 3.5 years and am still waiting for my permanent green card, so haven't been able to change my last name yet. It's so embarrassing to tell my coworkers and boss that I've been married for this long but am waiting to be able to change my last name and that "someday" it'll be changed.

Dont you have the EAD in your married name? 

On 7/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, Ducker said:

Hi all:

Been frustrating trying to get a name change for my wife--the Florida marriage license office wouldn't do it last year.  The SS office refused to do it, and now I've finished our green card interview and they refused to change her name using the I-485 as well.  We want to change her first and last name.

Can we do this in Texas court?  That's what the USCIS officer said to do.

First name changes need to be done in court. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:21 PM, Scandi said:

It's only the knowledge between SSAs that differ. Some SSA employees aren't smart enough to figure it out, while others know perfectly well that it's fine to have the name on the SSC changed based on the marriage certificate.

I got my SSN in my maiden name since we weren't married yet (I applied for my SSN 4 days after I arrived in the US), then after we got married and I received the marriage certificate I took it with me to the SSA and had the name changed on my SSC. Easy and fast, had the new card in the mailbox just 4 days later. Yes, this all happened in California and before I had even filed for my AOS

It was out of the question for me to not take my husband's name and only 3 months after the marriage I had changed my name everywhere (also in my home country of course) and had my new passport in married name etc. It was well worth it and not as difficult as some want it to seem like.

I plan on doing the same. How did you adjust your passport back home? Did you have to wait to be able to go back? I’m Canadian. My main concern is my passport while I wait for my green card etc 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 hours ago, KenandBina said:

I plan on doing the same. How did you adjust your passport back home? Did you have to wait to be able to go back? I’m Canadian. My main concern is my passport while I wait for my green card etc 

Personally I filed a name change from the US, via letter to Sweden. When the name change was registered in Sweden I went to the Swedish mobile passport station here in SoCal and got a passport in my new name.

Most other Swedes change their names from within the US like I did, but then they travel back to Sweden for vacation with their passport AND plane ticket in their maiden names, and get a passport in their new name while in Sweden (much cheaper to get one in Sweden than getting one here in the US).

As long as the passport and the ticket is in the same name, it's fine.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Hi! 

For those of you who have had their interviews, did you bring W2 or 1040? What did they look at for financial documents? 

Also, any one have an interview today? How did it go? 

:)) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.