Alfred0102

I have been married for more than 2 years and at the POE my passport was stamped with CR1 and not IR1

23 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have been married for more than two years and at the POE my passport was stamped with CR1 instead of IR1. At the USCIS website, it says CARD IS BEING PRODUCED. What type of green card will I recieve? the 2 years or the 10 years gc?

I called the customer service representative and she said I'll probably get the CR1 since that's what the officer stamped my passport with. Does any of you know if that's true? For me the idea of my gc being messed up because of a mistake an officer made doesn't sound right. Aren't they supposed to look at the huge envelope I gave them in order to determine what GC type I am eligible for? How long does it take to correct the gc I have by filing I-90 till I finally have the correct one?

Thanks for your help. 

I would wait to see what arrives in the mail. If it's the 2-year one then you will need to get it changed. But I have seen this happen before where the wrong stamp was put in the passport but the paperwork was completed correctly by the officer and the correct green card was received. You won't know until it arrives. Mistakes happen - this one is easily rectified. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just now, JFH said:

I would wait to see what arrives in the mail. If it's the 2-year one then you will need to get it changed. But I have seen this happen before where the wrong stamp was put in the passport but the paperwork was completed correctly by the officer and the correct green card was received. You won't know until it arrives. Mistakes happen - this one is easily rectified. 

Thanks a lot! That's a bit easing. I spent too much time dealing with the paperwork and I was expecting to have a good break after receiving the IR1 GC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Look at the visa foil in your passport. Was the 'IV category' CR1 or IR1? Was the date of visa issue ('IV Issue Date' field) before or after your two-year anniversary?

Just now, Suudsu said:

Look at the visa foil in your passport. Was the 'IV category' CR1 or IR1? Was the date of visa issue ('IV Issue Date' field) before or after your two-year anniversary?

It's' a CR1 visa but I came after our second anniversary. So even if it's a CR1 visa, since I came after 2 years, I am supposed to have the IR1 status, regardless of the visa category.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

same situation like ur ... we entered USA 10 days before 3rd anniversary .. however, was stamped Cr1.

didn't care much coz for us being home was important. But when i got GC (physical) a 10 year IR 1 GC was sent

Just now, Gorkhali said:

same situation like ur ... we entered USA 10 days before 3rd anniversary .. however, was stamped Cr1.

didn't care much coz for us being home was important. But when i got GC (physical) a 10 year IR 1 GC was sent

Good for you!! 

It's easing to hear that, because it's not fair to be shackled with the paperwork when you don't have to. Thanks for your comment!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

18 hours ago, Sulaiman Swaitti said:

Hello all, 

I have been married for more than two years and at the POE my passport was stamped with CR1 instead of IR1. At the USCIS website, it says CARD IS BEING PRODUCED. What type of green card will I recieve? the 2 years or the 10 years gc?

I called the customer service representative and she said I'll probably get the CR1 since that's what the officer stamped my passport with. Does any of you know if that's true? For me the idea of my gc being messed up because of a mistake an officer made doesn't sound right. Aren't they supposed to look at the huge envelope I gave them in order to determine what GC type I am eligible for? How long does it take to correct the gc I have by filing I-90 till I finally have the correct one?

Thanks for your help. 

according to several post here at VJ, you can go to your nearest USCIS office and they can correct it in case of any mistake. But you are right you should receive IR1 instead of CR1

6 minutes ago, inloveVEN said:

according to several post here at VJ, you can go to your nearest USCIS office and they can correct it in case of any mistake. But you are right you should receive IR1 instead of CR1

Thanks for your comment. I understand that I can correct it in case I receive the wrong one. But I was wondering what are the chances that they'll give me the wrong one at the first place.

2 minutes ago, Sulaiman Swaitti said:

Thanks for your comment. I understand that I can correct it in case I receive the wrong one. But I was wondering what are the chances that they'll give me the wrong one at the first place.

well, it should be an small number taking in consideration the whole universe but only based on VJs post, and typing in the search "cr1 instead ir1" you realize that it has happened to a lot of couples.  

2 minutes ago, K1_Journey said:

The passport POE stamp was CR1 because your visa is CR1, it doesn't matter if you entered the US after your 2 year anniversary there were no mistakes it is not based on when you entered the US. In regards to your permanent resident green card, if the card is ISSUED prior to your 2 year wedding anniversary then you will receive a 2 year green card, if the card is ISSUED on or after your 2 year wedding anniversary you will receive a 10 year green card. In your case as far as I know, since you have been married 2 years or longer AND your permanent resident green card has not been ISSUED yet, you will receive a 10 year green card once it is ISSUED. If they issue a 2 year green card then make an appointment at your local USCIS office to address the mistake and request they re-issue a 10 year green card due to mistake.

That's very helpful. Thanks a lot! 

You will need to fill out form I-90 to have the correction made. You can now fill it out online. Here is the link:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Since it is their error, you won't have to pay an additional fee.

1 hour ago, K1_Journey said:

The passport POE stamp was CR1 because your visa is CR1, it doesn't matter if you entered the US after your 2 year anniversary there were no mistakes it is not based on when you entered the US. In regards to your permanent resident green card, if the card is ISSUED prior to your 2 year wedding anniversary then you will receive a 2 year green card, if the card is ISSUED on or after your 2 year wedding anniversary you will receive a 10 year green card. In your case as far as I know, since you have been married 2 years or longer AND your permanent resident green card has not been ISSUED yet, you will receive a 10 year green card once it is ISSUED. If they issue a 2 year green card then make an appointment at your local USCIS office to address the mistake and request they re-issue a 10 year green card due to mistake.

It's based on how long you are married when you become an LPR. You become an LPR upon entry at POE via an immigrant visa (or when AOS is approved). When the card is issued is irrelevant...the card is just a piece of plastic acting as proof of your LPR status.

Edit: Source: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage

" Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than 2 years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence. "

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 hours ago, Sulaiman Swaitti said:

No one can answer that question.  We don't post odds here.  Hope for the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.