Mzlin35

Will one visit be enough??? 😣

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
12 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

It is best to be prudent and well prepared (by covering all the bases in advance) when dealing with USCIS during the immigration process. What you have suggested is neither that.

You're an exception to the rule but that doesn't mean your fellow Nigerian applicants would be just as lucky. Based on the US state department visa issuance statistics and plenty of posts on here, it is evident that the Lagos embassy is a tough one due to high fraud which leads to high denial rate.

A genuine relationship is important but what's more important is that the US petitioner and Nigerian beneficiary could provide strong evidences to prove a bonafide relationship. Short length of relationship, one short meeting only and haven't met the family when Nigerian has a strong family culture? That's more minuses than plusses to help with the OP's case, higher failure than success rate no less. 

OP good luck to you and your fiance. Consider more face time with him and his family for a better chance of approval :)

Thank you!! 

Timeline
6 hours ago, ChuAni said:

Ooh! I'm so relieved! It's so true and I believe with prayers, everything will be fine. I met my Fiancé (USC) on August while he was in Nigeria with his parents on a Vacation and he filed on October 7. He plans visiting again before my interview. We are praying to God for everything to work out so well for us. 

I wish you all the best of luck!

3 minutes ago, Mzlin35 said:

Thank you!! 

Not a problem. Fingers crossed for you and your fiance :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mzlin35 said:

Thank you so much!! This was very uplifting. I do have one question, so I will inbox you. Thanks so much!

No problem. Anytime 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Mzlin35 said:

I wish you all the best of luck!

Thank you and we wish you two, a successful process. Love conquers all!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

she may have been approved 

but still hard

47 K1 approved month of August 2017  in Lagos

just over 1000 for the 2016 year

and immigration denied 3,683,812 non immigrant for the year 2016 (this includes the K1 catergory)

take the best advise and more visits possible marriage

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
20 hours ago, Mzlin35 said:

Sighs...I have everything I need to assemble my packet, but now I'm a nervous wreck trying to decide if I should send it or get one more visit in.

He's in Nigeria, we spent 10 days together but it wasn't in Nigeria, it was in Ghana because I already had that trip planned before I met him. I plan to make a trip there in February which should be before his interview, but I've read that some interviewers won t even loom at updated proof, which is just rude 😡

Will the CO be put off by these facts? I haven't met his family in person, though I do communicate with them through text and video chat pretty often. I'm so stressed out. 

Please advise me 😶😔

Although great others were approved at same embassy with 10ndays 1 visit every case is different. The red flag I see in your case is you have not meet the parents. It is vital. Great you are going in February. You fiance' can surely let them know at interview.

No it's not at all rude they don;t look through mountains of evidence at interview. The CO expects you to have prepared a quality case where extra should not be needed. They don;t have the time. At Lagos alone they have over 400 non-immigrant type interview. At best each person gets 15 to 20 minutes for the 8 CO's that are there Monday thru Thursday half day on Friday.

You could surely submit your petition now and be sure your fiance' has you passport copy of your latest visit with more pictures hopefully with family.

Time together and pictures with family is vital to success.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
16 hours ago, ayobammy said:

Hello, I'm a Nigerian and I'm right now in America with K1 visa. My fiancé. Now my wife only visited me one time in Nigeria and we spent 10 days together. My case was approved and the consular asked me several questions about our relationship. At the end I was granted the visa....its not a matter of high fraud country but it's  about how genuine is your relationship and depends on the consular officer that interview you. I will suggest that you should send in your application and try and visit him one more time because you should try and meet his family. That would really help your application and during his interview at the embassy. If you have more questions you can DM me. I would love to help. I wish you all the best. 

Not entirely true. Approval has alot to do with the embassy and the scrutiny that's involved. Nigeria is very much in the top 5 for high fraud.

Let me ask did you fiance' meet your family?

Did you submit pictures of you all?

Sure usually if a case has no red flags like (immigrant has kids, a baby momma or daddy), divorce, multiple petition filing from others, many attempts to get into the country via visitor, student visa. Social media footprints, then most cases just get a glance a nod and they are done.

But this is Nigeria, this is Africa, family means everything. And a couple meeting in a different country, and she hasn't meet his family is a GIANT Red  Flag. It's different if he was living in another country. I know many Nigerians living elsewhere in the world. The CO doesn't expect you to fly to his country and meet and greet.

So one has to look at the totality of it all and say "If I was a complete stranger and given this evidence what would my perception be about this couple".

OP:

If possible I would take my trip at time of interview unless you plan to go in February and at interview. At interview you would had your passport over to your guy and he would turn that in with his passport. That way they know you are for real in the country right there.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Thank you for all of your input, it is much appreciated! @dwheels76 I will look into going for his interview as well. I've heard that helps. Does anyone know the current time it's taking to process K1 right? From what I've read it seems to be taking longer than 6 months. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1 hour ago, kris&me said:

Keep in mind that's tourist visas only (and without context for what grounds they are refused). On that list, Canada would probably be in/near the top 20 (because most Canadians don't need a tourist visa). See the full data here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY16.pdf

It's a fine guideline if going in blind for an immigrant visa. But there are certainly many exceptions between tourist visa refusals and immigrant visa refusals.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

Not entirely true. Approval has alot to do with the embassy and the scrutiny that's involved. Nigeria is very much in the top 5 for high fraud.

Let me ask did you fiance' meet your family?

Did you submit pictures of you all?

Sure usually if a case has no red flags like (immigrant has kids, a baby momma or daddy), divorce, multiple petition filing from others, many attempts to get into the country via visitor, student visa. Social media footprints, then most cases just get a glance a nod and they are done.

But this is Nigeria, this is Africa, family means everything. And a couple meeting in a different country, and she hasn't meet his family is a GIANT Red  Flag. It's different if he was living in another country. I know many Nigerians living elsewhere in the world. The CO doesn't expect you to fly to his country and meet and greet.

So one has to look at the totality of it all and say "If I was a complete stranger and given this evidence what would my perception be about this couple".

OP:

If possible I would take my trip at time of interview unless you plan to go in February and at interview. At interview you would had your passport over to your guy and he would turn that in with his passport. That way they know you are for real in the country right there.

Yes of course she met almost every members of my family. My parents. My siblings. My uncles and my friends and all the pictures was submitted when filling and took them along during the interview and a lot of WhatsApp chat history, phone history etc, If you read my post very well. I told her she can visit again before the interview and meet with his fiancé family and that would help Them a lot. As long as  they can provide enough evidence they are good to go. 

1 hour ago, afrocraft said:

If I read the Nigeria-is-a-high-fraud-country line one more time :wub:....  My spouse never visited Nigeria, yet I am a now US permanent resident. 

OP: Pay the naysayers no attention. Every case is different, and the deciding factor is credibility: Will a reasonable person who has never met you two decide, only on the basis of the evidence you provide, that it is more likely that you have a true, loving relationship that will lead to marriage than it is you're just in it for immigration purposes?

If you think about it this way, the way to go is obvious: Craft a clearly structured testimonial of the key milestones of your relationship (how you met, how you stayed together, how your lives/families have become more intricately linked, and your plans for the future). Then put together multiple, carefully curated documentary evidence that corroborates those milestones in your story and credibly addresses the major weaknesses that you anticipate (e.g., why so little physical time spent together).

Hope that helps.

I think it is possible for her to get approved with only one visit. However, by all means she should very well be aware that there is a higher probability of red flags for only one visit from certain countries. 

You may not like people mentioning high fraud and Nigeria in the same statement but it definitely has its cases. A quick search on this site will definitely show many cases of couples getting denied even with good evidence. 

While it is good you are giving her positive influence she should still be knowledgeable of the risks.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
2 hours ago, afrocraft said:

If I read the Nigeria-is-a-high-fraud-country line one more time :wub:....  My spouse never visited Nigeria, yet I am a now US permanent resident. 

OP: Pay the naysayers no attention. Every case is different, and the deciding factor is credibility: Will a reasonable person who has never met you two decide, only on the basis of the evidence you provide, that it is more likely that you have a true, loving relationship that will lead to marriage than it is you're just in it for immigration purposes?

If you think about it this way, the way to go is obvious: Craft a clearly structured testimonial of the key milestones of your relationship (how you met, how you stayed together, how your lives/families have become more intricately linked, and your plans for the future). Then put together multiple, carefully curated documentary evidence that corroborates those milestones in your story and credibly addresses the major weaknesses that you anticipate (e.g., why so little physical time spent together).

Hope that helps.

This helps alot. Thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.