CaliCat

On The Internet, Everyone Knows 'You're A Racist': Twitter Account IDs Marchers

153 posts in this topic

Timeline

Interesting take on using technology to expose these remarkable elements of our society.

On The Internet, Everyone Knows 'You're A Racist': Twitter Account IDs Marchers

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/14/543418271/on-the-internet-everyone-knows-you-re-a-racist-twitter-account-ids-marchers

gettyimages-830617844_wide-006947b4521dc

Peter Cvjetanovic (right) chants while holding torches at a march organized by neo-Nazi, white supremacist and white nationalist organizations in Charlottesville, Va., on Friday night.

Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

They didn't wear hoods as they chanted "Jews will not replace us." They weren't hiding their faces as they waved Confederate flags, racist signs and swastikas. They looked straight at a sea of cameras as they made the Nazi salute.

As Matt Thompson wrote for The Atlantic, the white supremacist march and rally this past weekend wasn't a KKK rally: "It was a pride march."

The bare-faced shamelessness was the point. But it was also an opening.

On the Internet, some people are crowd-sourcing efforts to identify and shame the people participating in the rally. Most prominently, on Twitter, the account called "Yes, You're Racist" has been soliciting help and posting IDs. "I'll make them famous," the account pledged.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

•  

So far, at least one protester is no longer employed after being publicly named and shamed.

Cole White, who used to work at a hot dog restaurant in Berkeley, Calif., "voluntarily resigned" on Saturday after his employer confronted him about his participation in the event, according to the Berkeleyside news site.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

@YesYoureRacist is not a new Twitter account. Since 2012, the account has been calling out "casual racism on Twitter," according to the user's fundraising page. It would post screenshots of deleted racist tweets, highlight offensive comments by elected officials and retweet everyday users who would say "I'm not racist but ..." followed by something, well, racist.

But after the rally in Charlottesville, Yes You're Racist pivoted from highlighting online remarks to identifying real-world marchers.

Many of the people it named had publicly declared their plans to go to Charlottesville. The account identified one man as "Illegal Aryan," who wrote on the white supremacist site Daily Stormer last month, "See you in Charlottesville!"

"Illegal Aryan," real name Mark Daniel Reardon, was identified by an antifascist group this spring and confirmed on Daily Stormer that he lost his job as a result.

Another identified marcher, who has repeatedly tweeted holocaust denials and says he is a member of the Proud Boys, said on Twitter he was at Charlottesville. After he was identified, he said he's received death threats.

Of course, there's a long and not entirely noble tradition of online humiliation for perceived moral trespasses.

Jon Ronson, who literally wrote the book on the phenomenon (it's called So You've Been Publicly Shamed), chimed in on Twitter to give his take on the public identification of the white supremacists, white nationalists and neo-Nazis marching in Charlottesville.

"They were undisguised in a massively contentious rally surrounded by the media," he said, noting also that there's "a big difference" between making a thoughtless or offensive comment online and marching in the name of white power.

That said, Twitter is "a terrible information swapping service," he said, and some innocent people would inevitably get caught up in the process.

Indeed, the "Yes You're Racist" account has made, and acknowledged, some mistakes.

One of the photos it examined was from a previous Trump rally, not the Charlottesville march or rally. (That image featured a man wearing a Nazi armband. He said on Youtube he wore it as a "social experiment" to prove that "not all Trump supporters are Nazis. I went to the Trump rally as a Nazi and they kicked me out and disavowed me ... I dressed up as a Nazi to prove a point, not to spread a message of hate.")

Another photo was misidentified as the white supremacist Billy Roper. Roper, who has called for non-white races to be "eliminated" or "become extinct," did not actually attend the Charlottesville event. Roper, who is vehemently anti-Semitic, objected to the fact that one of the speakers at the event works with a Jewish fundraiser.

Honestly I think this is wrong. Everyone is allowed to protest in this country as long as it is peaceful, and that is a right under the law everyone regardless of affiliation is give. I draw the line where violence gets involved and outing people to their employers just because you don't like their affiliation. That's the best way on how to piss people off and push them over the edge by messing with their livelihood. That is one big reason why I took my picture off of this site, I will be damned if someone tries to intimidate my employer just because they don't like my beliefs. I have 5 mouths to feed so that ####### ain't flying with me. 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Honestly I think this is wrong. Everyone is allowed to protest in this country as long as it is peaceful, and that is a right under the law everyone regardless of affiliation is give. I draw the line where violence gets involved and outing people to their employers just because you don't like their affiliation. That's the best way on how to piss people off and push them over the edge by messing with their livelihood. That is one big reason why I took my picture off of this site, I will be damned if someone tries to intimidate my employer just because they don't like my beliefs. I have 5 mouths to feed so that ####### ain't flying with me. 

I've actually encountered this from another forum a few years ago -- this is why I advocate the use of a VPN at all times now. There are some real losers out there.

Also for pictures, use filters, do a test upload to a site like imgur, image search, and make sure there are no duplicates anywhere else. Gotta CYA all the time.

Had a nutcase from another forum contact my job because he hated gun owners and saw me post a video of me doing a USPSA target shooting competition. He was buddies with a moderator who gave him my posting IP, which led back to my job. Tried to contact my job and tell them I was a terrorist and all this other crazy stuff. Just one tiny problem: Not only do I get extensive backgrounds in Canada to maintain an RPAL, but I also volunteer for the city and school board, meaning I regularly get background checks.. my boss and I go golfing pretty often, he knows my family and my squeaky clean background (hence why didn't care and told the guy to piss off), all of it irrelevant when in the court of public opinion. Hence.. always cover thy ###. 

Especially with unhinged lefties. Never had a problem like this with those on the right. The tantrums are on another level.

Edited by IAMX

52 minutes ago, IAMX said:

I've actually encountered this from another forum a few years ago -- this is why I advocate the use of a VPN at all times now. There are some real losers out there.

Also for pictures, use filters, do a test upload to a site like imgur, image search, and make sure there are no duplicates anywhere else. Gotta CYA all the time.

Had a nutcase from another forum contact my job because he hated gun owners and saw me post a video of me doing a USPSA target shooting competition. He was buddies with a moderator who gave him my posting IP, which led back to my job. Tried to contact my job and tell them I was a terrorist and all this other crazy stuff. Just one tiny problem: Not only do I get extensive backgrounds in Canada to maintain an RPAL, but I also volunteer for the city and school board, meaning I regularly get background checks.. my boss and I go golfing pretty often, he knows my family and my squeaky clean background (hence why didn't care and told the guy to piss off), all of it irrelevant when in the court of public opinion. Hence.. always cover thy ###. 

Especially with unhinged lefties. Never had a problem like this with those on the right. The tantrums are on another level.

I only uploaded one picture to this forum during my whole time here in over 5 years, so I am not worried about that. 

I wish someone would contact either one of my two supervisors about my guns because that is widely known and people joke about if their is a security instance they will just run to where I work for protection. Also one of my supervisors would literally LOL because she goes to the ranges with her husband a couple times a month. My views are widely known around my office and close coworkers, even though we disagree on alot we still keep it respectable and at the end of the day get along great. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

The issue is that the purpose of any of these manifestations is not peaceful. When people gather and propose the persecution of a large segment of our society they are promoting violence. There is nothing peaceful in the alt-right and noe-nazi movement. Equally peaceful is having their names and faces put on the internet. I reserve the right not to employ any individuals that espouse such views. I am sure they can find a lot of good jobs back east.

So, there is a big difference between owning a gun or 10 guns, and promoting hate.  That's not even in the same ballpark.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

The issue is that the purpose of any of these manifestations is not peaceful. When people gather and propose the persecution of a large segment of our society they are promoting violence. There is nothing peaceful in the alt-right and noe-nazi movement. Equally peaceful is having their names and faces put on the internet. I reserve the right not to employ any individuals that espouse such views. I am sure they can find a lot of good jobs back east.

So, there is a big difference between owning a gun or 10 guns, and promoting hate.  That's not even in the same ballpark.

back in the good ol days there were no iPhones and everyone wore a hood, Happy Days

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

used to work at a hot dog restaurant

well that's certainly a massive resume bullet...........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

5 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

... but a street protest is not exactly a private event, without anyone contacting your boss, your picture can be in the news that night.  If you feel your behaviour could get you in trouble with your employer, it's your responsibility to keep it private.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
6 hours ago, IAMX said:

lol, I usually don't give a damn. My pics on this site are always real, my wife and I, I'm my own employer, I do not care. I do use a VPN now but didn't for the longest time. I'm used to this stuff...back when I was in Israel I was in some of my market forums and some idiot decided to send some creepy letters to my house because they didn't like what I was posting...with some creepy pictures and quotes. Weird, but ok. Not going to let the creeps win. Next thing I know - the Israeli equivalent of the IRS calls me over because they received a "tip" I was hiding income. Well, waste of time but nothing to hide so...lots of great souls out there.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

They are Nazis so I think it's great what this guy is doing. I have no empathy for these people. 

"For the dead and the living, we must bear witness" - Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, CaliCat said:

Is this why the anti-fascist fascists wear masks or anything else to cover their faces?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

What I really don't get is how Americans can defend nazis. You fought a war to defeat them about 70 years ago and now we're going to repeat history and you're just going to think this is okay? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

They are Nazis so I think it's great what this guy is doing. I have no empathy for these people. 

"For the dead and the living, we must bear witness" - Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor. 

If one violates their work rules by protesting that is fine.  Otherwise, I think there might be a case if someone is fired for exercising their free speech away from their workplace and not representing the business they work for.  I wonder what the story would be if the Anti-fascists fascists were outed and fired for their protesting?

"The fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists" Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain 

Edited by Bill & Katya

Timeline
Just now, Unidentified said:

What I really don't get is how Americans can defend nazis. You fought a war to defeat them about 70 years ago and now we're going to repeat history and you're just going to think this is okay? 

Who is defending Nazis, or violence, and why are people defending the anti-fascists fascists?

Timeline
Just now, Bill & Katya said:

If one violates their work rules by protesting that is fine.  Otherwise, I think there might be a case if someone is fired for exercising their free speech away from their workplace and not representing the business they work for.  I wonder what would happen if the Anti-fascists fascists were outed and fired what the story would be?

"The fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists" Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain 

They're nazis. Most workplaces has rules against discrimination and if you are out marching against Jews your in violation of that anyway and should be fired. Doesn't matter if you do it outside your workplace. If Antifa does stupid #######... same thing there. I don't support violence on either side.